2011 MLB Season

I feel the same way about C.J. Wilson, especially now. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I honestly can't see Sabbathia coming to Texas, though, unless he plans on losing a helluva lot of weight to make it through the summer and/or is willing to have a much less amount of media attention.

Gotta wonder, though, who floated that report out on the day that Wilson was starting and what their motives were. Possibilities abound...

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm saying that in theory pitching should always have the advantage over hitting, and that the best pitchers are the ones who figure out when and why they don't quicker and faster and more conclusively. The better hitters are the ones who make it harder for the pitchers to do that, but all things being equal (which of course they aren't), if an above average pitcher like C.J. get rocked like he got rocked today (and more or less all post season), it's far more likely that CJ's fucking something up than it is the hitters just being so damn good. I'm a big believer in pitching, in case you haven't noticed. :g

As for Cruz, I'm not sure towards whom this was being directed, but it was after his HR off of Verlander, and dammit, "arrogant" or not, that's the way I want to see people play, especially pitchers. Be proud at all times, and do not be afraid to be defiant in defeat.

iInQb.gif

The day I see C.J. Wilson act like this AND consistently pitch to back it up is the day that C.J. Wilson gets to be an ace instead of just being called one.

Pride always cometh before the fall...

Bad Karma, guys.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Whatever. The corollary to "pride cometh before the fall" is that is that a lack of pride encourages success.

If Nelson Cruz' pride makes Derek Holland and/or Colby Lewis pitch worse than they ordinarily would, then you have a point about "karma". And if the Tigers need this to fuel them up any furhter than they already are, then they're not where they need to be in the first place. Like they'd be coming into Arlington all broken and defeated if not for Nelson Cruz.

Besides, word is that Cruz was actually giving that to Cabrera, not Verlander. Apaprently they've been jawing back and forth all series, spirited but not angry. And most importantly, it was not contrived and meant for the camera, unlike some player's "routines" (won't name names...).

Otherwise, fierce competitors in the heat of battle get a little chesty sometimes. I've seen it in the office, on the bandstand, in the arena, it's just a fact of life, and only truly bothersome when it's done by somebody who can't back it up. That was an emotional game. This has been an emotional series, and will continue to be.

One thing it won't be is "torture".

Enjoy the game!

Besides, word is that Cruz was actually giving that to Cabrera, not Verlander. Apaprently they've been jawing back and forth all series, spirited but not angry. And most importantly, it was not contrived and meant for the camera, unlike some player's "routines" (won't name names...).

I didn't even get what he was doing until today (spelling out "100" - the mph of the pitch. I got the "poof" part. :lol:) If anyone has earned the right for this kind of creativity he sure as hell has.

Who is the goatee-wiping coach in the background? I've checked pictures of a few of the Ranger coaches but they shaved for photo day, and I guess for me facial hair is great disguise as I can't place him.

Who is the goatee-wiping coach in the background? I've checked pictures of a few of the Ranger coaches but they shaved for photo day, and I guess for me facial hair is great disguise as I can't place him.

I can't either...closest "maybe" I could find was Johnny Narron, but...

Found him!

That's AAA affiliate Round Rock Express manager Bobby Jones:

vlcsnap-0046199494bbf-ba41-4468-b47c-9a2efa70d238.jpg

Not to be confused with

pd2776883.jpg

Edited by JSngry

Killer 3rd inning! That might be it for Detroit.

(edit: I wrote that when it was 7-2. It's now 9-2!)

A good reminder whenever you worry about your own club's pitching (it's natural), the other club has to pitch too. If they hold on I don't see either NL team beating them, but then again this was the season where the Red Sox were assured the playoffs because of their "dream team" and the Cards were toast as soon as Wainwright went down, so you never know.

Getting ready to get over to Academy to see try to get shirts at midnight (them big boy sizes go real quickly, I found out last year), so not a lot of time (or presence of mind!) right now, but hey - as a fan of baseball, just let me say that it was a true pleasure to watch Alex Avilla play for six games. This guy is one tough human being, and fullest love and props for how he represented the human spirit. If the need ever comes, I would be honored to have him on my team!

Other than that...god, this team has been soooo inspiring this year., appearances to the casual observer to the contrary, nothing has come easy for this team this year, Big Al is right, they are the real deal...this might be the year...might not...I've never known the feeling of when it is, so we shall see...but this feeling here, I'm kinda liking it! :g

I gotta think Rangers Cards at this point. Congratulations, Jim, on your boys making it to the dance. This could very well be their year. And, without Cliff Lee. Who'd have thought? It's always nice when your team gets a free pass, so you're not wound up watching the game unfold. 15 runs will do that. I really thought Sherzer had enough stuff to keep it interesting, but when the wheels fell off, it turned into a train wreck. Clearly, the best team won. That's the way it's supposed to be. Sure wish I had a dog in this fight.

It's always nice when your team gets a free pass, so you're not wound up watching the game unfold. 15 runs will do that.

15, yes. But 12, against these Tigers? Not so much.

I swear, I was still nervous as hell until it went to 15. And even then...

These Tigers...that's one tough group. Much respect for the Motor City from the Lone Star.

A good reminder whenever you worry about your own club's pitching (it's natural), the other club has to pitch too.

A reputable local reporter has tweeted (or so I'm hearing, I don't tweet, myself) that Derek Holland was still recovering from food poisoning tonight, thus the "uniform change" that caused the delay with the team taking the field.

Been soaking up all the DVR-ed post-game comments, and what really comes through is that Jim Leyland is a totally class act. I really see now why Wash has always had nothing but the highest praise for him.

And now, I ask you this - who, at this moment, is the luckiest man in Major League Baseball?

Gotta be Arthur Rhodes. GOTSTA be Arthur Rhodes!

Posted on Lone Star Ball. Totally emo, but I succumb...

229589.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FD5DAE5CC3E3B6DE1173B09825FC669078C698B998A3D5D660

Before there was Wash, there was Oates. And with Oates came the beginnings of hope.

Dear God, I miss this man. He will always be my favorite Rangers manager, for the very reason Jim just stated.

But Wash is and will always be a VERY close second! :)

And yes, Jim Leyland is such a class act (also like Jim said). The look on his face during the postgame interview spoke volumes. My hat is off to him and the Tigers. They did more than keep it interesting: they fully scared the shit outta me for all six games. When they made it 9-4.....

BUT, that same inning the Rangers remembered what/how/why they got there in the first place and brought the hammer(s). I just hope they can keep that momentum going for four more games, because this season is still far from over. Like Michael Young said, "I'm happy but I'm not satisfied. We still gotta job to do." And he's right: anything short of a World Series victory will be a disappointment. We've already been here.

But like I said: THIS team is the real deal. I'm pretty sure a certain Mr. Lee would agree.

A reputable local reporter has tweeted (or so I'm hearing, I don't tweet, myself) that Derek Holland was still recovering from food poisoning tonight, thus the "uniform change" that caused the delay with the team taking the field.

Ooooooooooooh. And Eeeeeeeeeeew. Well he scores some toughness points. It's not easy being left-handed vs. the Tigers in Arlington's park even when you're not needing to change your uni for those reasons.

And now, I ask you this - who, at this moment, is the luckiest man in Major League Baseball?

Gotta be Arthur Rhodes. GOTSTA be Arthur Rhodes!

I have a lot of love & deep respect for Arthur from seeing him pitch for the Mariners in the early 2000s. Actually even when he was with the O's so I was thrilled when the M's got him. He's just one tough badass dude, and from the SI feature earlier in the year there's some deep sadness in his life there too. Part of the early appreciation was due to the traumatic Bobby Ayala years (see GA Russell's slideshow thread on most disliked players - I didn't so much hate the person as hated seeing him put on the mound :P Can I put a strikeout font on that smiley, as I take back laughing at that pain!) but it was mostly from how he carried himself and took care of business.

I'm not counting out the Brewers though. We've had so many match ups in the past decade of never-won-it or not-won-it-in-50-to-100-years, and without a salary cap either, that it would be the ultimate series for this year. Then again Pujols in Arlington (one last time as a Card?) would be very cool too. As would Berkman having to play there. :lol:

Edited by Quincy