Was "Jazz Goes to College" issued as a Columbia Legacy CD?

dreamcatcher_43

Lon, Amazon shows the cover of the 2008 release to be a "Columbia Jazz Masterpiece", which I would have figured would have been the 1989 release.

The two editions have different prices. Do you think that Amazon switched the covers?

I really don't know. . . I think that's quite possible. Confusing! If there WAS one, like So What I want to know!

Ooh, when was this issued? I really love that album, had it on vinyl as a kid. Might be worth investigating to try to get, I wonder if it was a crapshoot on which version you'll get Lon? A newly packaged reprint that looks like a remastered version but is really the blue border version, or a truly fresh remixed, remastered Legacy version.

edit: Well, I read the back cover from the supposed "Legacy" version and the mastering credits Larry Keyes and digital engineering by Vlado Meller, which points to this is probably an inferior sounding 80's Columbia CD, which were really harsh sounding. For example the original CBS Associated release of the "California Concert" by the CTI All Stars mastered by Meller sounds horrible and lifeless, even weirder was that applause was looped and inserted from Freddie Hubbard/Stanley Turrentine "In Concert" on that one.

Edited by CJ Shearn

If it isn't too terrible, let me know :) I think more than anything old OJC's still sound very good, as I've been listening to a lot of the Montreux'77 titles on Pablo, the thing wrong with those as I notice with a lot of recordings made by Montreux's sound engineers is the balance is off and shifts a lot. Like on the "Pablo All Stars Jam" theres a lot of shifting in the stereo image, especially at one point Oscar Peterson sounds like he was recorded at RVG's........ VERY strange

I think this is the one everybody's referring to:

http://allmusic.com/album/jazz-goes-to-college-r135983

If you scroll to the bottom, you'll see that it was reissued in 2008, which is when Sony BMG repackaged a lot of their jazz cd catalogue.

FWIW, I think the one that Jim posted above is a Sony issue manufactured in either Europe or Japan, as I've never seen US issues with the words "Sony Music" with the little swoosh printed on them.

Edited by JETman

I just checked Jazz Goes to College on Amazon.ca and discovered that a new edition will be released on June 14th.

Thanks Don. Good to see another post from you.

For what it's worth, I decided to cancel that order from amazon. I'll see if this new one surfaces and what it might be like mastering wise.

Ooh, when was this issued? I really love that album, had it on vinyl as a kid. Might be worth investigating to try to get, I wonder if it was a crapshoot on which version you'll get Lon? A newly packaged reprint that looks like a remastered version but is really the blue border version, or a truly fresh remixed, remastered Legacy version.

edit: Well, I read the back cover from the supposed "Legacy" version and the mastering credits Larry Keyes and digital engineering by Vlado Meller, which points to this is probably an inferior sounding 80's Columbia CD, which were really harsh sounding. For example the original CBS Associated release of the "California Concert" by the CTI All Stars mastered by Meller sounds horrible and lifeless, even weirder was that applause was looped and inserted from Freddie Hubbard/Stanley Turrentine "In Concert" on that one.

The Columbia Jazz Masterpiece edition lists Larry Keyes as doing the digital remaster but doesn't mention Vlado Meller; just says "all digital engineering and mastering at CBS Records Studio, New York".

BTW Am I the only one who thinks that "Le Souk" is one of Desmond's great solos? Certainly one of his bluesiest.

Edited by medjuck

I've always thought it was almost as good as the Oberlin concert - and that's a recommendation.

Was the remaster issued in the 2010 box? See below image:

510EhkLUURL._SS500_.jpg

Thanks, guys.

The 5CD box goes for $20.61, so I have put that on my wish list.

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Album-Classics-5-CD/dp/B0042FU4IC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306782272&sr=1-2