Mingus At Monterey (1964)

bluesForBartok

It'a a wonderful recording. Charles McPherson is the most prominent soloist and he plays brilliantly. The concert starts with an exquisite Duke Ellington melody, a series of beautiful ballads, climaxed by a stirring Take the A Train, performed by a small group (Mingus, Richmond, Jaki Byard, John Handy, Charles McPherson, and Lonnie Hillyer). Then there's an extended, slow and gorgeous version of Orange Was the Color of Her Dress, Then Blue Silk, again a small group version. Finally, there's a tremendously exciting large group version of Meditations on Integration, with Buddy Collette filling the role of Eric Dolphy, featuring very exciting soloing by McPherson, and a wild collective improvisation by the group at the climax.

I think it is still available in Japan. One of the greatest Mingus concerts, with the best version of "Meditations On Integration" and a wonderful Ellington medley. The sound is not very good though.

Music written for Monterey, 1965 is also one of my favourites, a very spontaneus and loose concert. Lonnie Hillyer smokes.

The Monterey Concert is typical Mingus. A bit disorganised, often passionate and always exciting. Which is why he is loved by so many jazz fans. The Monterey concert was one of Mingus' best.

This was part of the albums Charles Mingus issued on his own Mingus label. I have enjoyed those albums since they came out.

You're in for a treat!

A treat indeed! I found a quite good copy of the Jazzworkshop 2LP set some years ago. Great music! Lesser so with sound quality, but it's good enough to thoroughly enjoy what there is to enjoy - and there's quite some! "Meditations" is one of favorite pieces of "Mingusiana".

ubu

Mingus solos on bass on 'I've Got It Bad', later on 'Sophisticated Lady'.

The tracks sequence on the Mingus JSW 001/002 album is:

record 1A,

- I've Got It Bad,

- In a Sentimental Mood,

- All Too Soon

- Mood Indigo

- Sophisticated Lady,

- A Train

record 2A,

- A Train (part II)

- Orange Was the Color of Her Dress Then Blue Silk

record 2B,

- Orange Was... (part II)

- Meditations on Integration

record 1B,

- Meditations on Integration (part II)

I understand Mingus and engineer Bob Simpson had trouble with the concert tape.

Sound on the original Mingus records is somehow muddy. There is a 'Balanced Stereo' indication at the bottom of the label of the four sides.

Wonder if the reissues just copied the Mingus LPs. Or did they improve on the tapes if they were able to get at those?

This is THE killer Mingus albulm reissued as a double cd, remastered 24 bits

sounds great

The great concert of Charles Mingus released 08/2003

Price 17.10 Euros

. A.t.f.w

2. Presentation of musicians

3. So long Eric

4. Orange was the color of her dress then blue silk

5. Fables of Faubus

Volume 2

1. Sophisticated lady

2. Parkeriana

3. Mediations on integration

Here is the link to get it, just copy and paste

http://www.fnac.com/Shelf/article.asp?No=1...df-58133e5b2166

This is THE killer Mingus albulm reissued as a double cd, remastered 24 bits

sounds great

The great concert of Charles Mingus  released  08/2003

Price 17.10 Euros

. A.t.f.w

2. Presentation of musicians

3. So long Eric

4. Orange was the color of her dress then blue silk

5. Fables of Faubus

Volume 2

1. Sophisticated lady

2. Parkeriana

3. Mediations on integration

Here is the link to get it, just copy and paste

http://www.fnac.com/Shelf/article.asp?No=1...df-58133e5b2166

Jazz1, THAT concert has already been discussed here

http://www.organissimo.org/forum/index.php...=mingus+concert

Yes, another Mingus concert that killed!

bertrand: the Great Concert has the April 19 Theatre des Champs Elysees concert. Coles collapsed at the April 17 Salle Wagram concert (released on the Revenge! 2CD set), as far as I know - he's present on one track there.

See more on Mingus' 1964 Europe tour here: http://webusers.siba.fi/~eonttone/mingus/1964.html

ubu

I have had the Monterey disc listed for sale for about a week, no takers here on the forum. It is a must hear and a good collectible, but the recording quality is very weak, the bass drum pretty much clips throughout, and the 20-bit version is no better than the 16-bit. I have both versions, I love this music, but the sound quality is a small tragedy.

For the 64 live Mingus, I think the Enja discs and the Prestige LP / Musidisc CDs from Paris in April are the ones to get.

Brownie,

Were you at that concert?  Did Johnny Coles really collapse onstage after 'So Long Eric'?

Bertrand.

Bertrand, I was at that concert. The Coles collapse occured at the start of the first Mingus concert at the Salle Wagram. From where I was seated did not notice that there was a problem with Coles when it actually happened. I caught up on the confusion shortly after when Coles was taken offstage and the last thing I saw of him at that concert was when he was carried out of the theater on a stretcher.

When Mingus and the rest of his band appeared for the other concerts at the Theatre des Chanps-Elysees, there was an empty chair on stage to mark Johnny Coles' absence.

Edited by brownie

the bass drum pretty much clips throughout

Isn't that Mingus' sandal tapping the rhythm? :)

"The tapping sound later on in 'A Train' was the stamping of my foot and the slap of my sandals. I wear sandals. I tapped my toes and the heel would follow down later. There was no distortion on the concert. The sound on the record is the exact sound of my flapping sandals at the live concert."

(from Mingus' liner on JWS 001/002)

Funny - mingusian (fancy that as similar to "rabulistic") - liners, by the way! I quote another passage:

"A weird thing happened during 'A Train.' I had a pain my chest and the fear of the possibility of my death surged through me. And I overcame it. I was looking at the sky, and I said, 'Well, here I come, baby. Lord, I guess this is it. So I'm just gonna play better 'cause I want to sound good when I die.' In fact, I did have a palpitation, a funny throb. I had been so tired and overworked and I had a funny feeling as I looked up to the sky. That's the way it was in 'A Train' at this point and the musical pulse is unbelievable. So just go ahead and check it out."

On the Ellington medley again:

I've Got It Bad - features Mingus

Sentimental Mood - no one featured

All Too Soon - Byard

Mood Indigo - Hillyer, supported by McPherson

Sophisticade Lady - Mingus

A Train - McPherson, Hillyer, Handy, Richmond

ubu

I was wrong. It's not just the low-end of the recording. There are many shattered moments where the horns clip out at the end. There is rampant distortion on these tracks, liner notes and sandals notwithstanding. Trust me, this sounds very self-produced for its time. I think if it weren't, every jazz one might know and have this date.

btw - I believe Jazz Record Ctr in NYC still has sealed vinyl 1980s reissues of Music Recorded for Monterey, about $20 I think. You may need to specify that you want a new copy, they are not normally displayed, the used copies are. I am listening to the Enjas this evening, they are pretty satisfying sonically but somewhat hissy and flat (no dropouts though).

The best sounding disc from this tour (I've been listening to many of them of them today) is the Jazz Workshop/Fantasy (OJC) Town Hall Concert 4-4-64. Wow, a major treat after hearing so many towering live performances that were not well captured to tape. The music on this disc is quite beautiful, lots of Mingus' bowing on Pray With Eric. The show sounds close-miked, you can hear a flea fart in the quiet passages. It is no small thrill to believe there may be more tapes of this band at this level of sound quality.

I don't care so much about sound quality with music like this. The Japanese cd I have of Monterey sounds better than a lot of cds I listen to with glee. I think my favorites of this 1964 tour may be the Oslo and the Holland performances. . . not sure why, because all the performances I've found have really been AMAZING.

Edited by jazzbo

I think my favorites of this 1964 tour may be the Oslo and the Holland performances

An Oslo concert was recorded on TV in optimal B&W quality (studio performance)and has been made available on video tapes (official or bootleg, I don't know).

The "Triumph of the Underdog" DVD has many short concert movie clips. It would be great to see them complete.