Jimmy Smith The Sermon/House Party

Tom in RI

Seems this was discussed at the BNBB way back but I don't recall for sure. I have the 1987 issue of The Sermon and the 2000 issue of House Party. If I pick up the 1996 version of House Party does that get me all the from these two dates (Aug.25, 1957 & Feb. 25, 1958)? It seems that since the latest issue of The Sermon duplicates the original lp with only 3 titles on it so that 5 or 5 titles from these two dates are left out of the RVG issues. Is that right?

8/25/57

J.O.S.

What Is This Thing Called Love

Just Friends

Cherokee

Blues After All

'S Wonderful

Blue Room

Little Girl Blue

2/25/58

Au Privave

Lover Man

The Sermon

Flamingo

Confirmation

No Way Out rejected

unknown title rejected

Strike Up The Band rejected

AFAIK - You can get all of the material on the original (not RVG) CD issues of "House Party" and "The Sermon" except "Little Girl Blue", which is only available on the LP "On The Sunny Side" (LT-1092).

Edited by Z-Man

why did they not include all the music on these two, anyway?!?

Good question. RVGs have tended to bring back original album contents (which the previous versions of these two albums had abandonded). The very first RVGs imitated the JRVGs in adding no (or few) extra tracks. That policy has since slipped, indeed it has gone the other way. The old logic was that the US market required the extra tracks while the Japanese market preferred pure originals. That now seems to be not the case.

AFAIK - You can get all of the material on the original (not RVG) CD issues of "House Party" and "The Sermon" except "Little Girl Blue", which is only available on the LP "On The Sunny Side" (LT-1092).

Actually, they included "little girl blue" (as well as the other tracks from that "On The Sunny Side" LT series album) on the 1998 CD "Standards". It also includes previously unreleased tracks (also with Burrell and Bailey) from 5/24/59. Recommended.

wasn't there a japanese issue titled Cherokee that features all of the tracks left off the RVGs (with some duplication)?

No. CHEROKEE includes material from the July 3, 1957 session with McFadden and Bailey (on which J.S. began by experimenting with the piano*); plus one track ("somebody loves me"), and unused track from the May 8, 1957 session that produced JIMMY SMITH PLAYS PRETTY FOR YOU.

*He recorded with Lou Donaldson the next day (7/4/57; the "Jimmy Smith Trio + L. D." session), and one piano track ("cha cha j") was actually used.

why did they not include all the music on these two, anyway?!?

Good question. RVGs have tended to bring back original album contents (which the previous versions of these two albums had abandonded). The very first RVGs imitated the JRVGs in adding no (or few) extra tracks. That policy has since slipped, indeed it has gone the other way. The old logic was that the US market required the extra tracks while the Japanese market preferred pure originals. That now seems to be not the case.

Seems you are right about that. Still I want ONE CD having the COMPLETE Back at the Chicken Shack/Midnight... session, even the Bonus Track could fit on that ONE CD...

Yet if they are doing "historical" reissues of just the album, they could give us some historical reissues of those japanese albums, too, no? So bring it on!

I got "Standards" rather recently, and LOVE it! Very mellow stuff, very laid back, sometimes it goes back to pre-Smith-organ sounds, at least in general mood.

ubu