Hot Stove Thread 2011-2012

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk about Bobby Valentine becoming the next Red Sox manager appears to be heating up. Seems to me he's the sort of no nonsense guy this team needs. Wonder if Dan is around and willing to weigh in on this. Not that I wish for anything good for Boston, mind you, but this might be precisely what the doctor ordered.

I hate to go back on my word but since you asked:

If Bobby Valentine becomes the manager of the Boston franchise of the American League, I will cease to follow that team at all until such time as he is fired.

And you can take that to the bank.

To me that makes no sense. You root for the team through thick and thin. As players come and go, we, as fans, are still there. I may not always like (more often than not, if you have to know the truth) what the Mets do but I've been rooting for them for 50 years and I'm too old to kick the habit :blink:

If Bobby Valentine becomes the manager of the Boston franchise of the American League, I will cease to follow that team at all until such time as he is fired.

Having done the same to the Cardinals when they hired Vern Rapp I totally get that sentiment.

What's the Rapp on Vern??? :excited::rolleyes:

Now Whitey Herzog...after he traded Gary Templeton, Ted Simmons, Keith Hernandez, Terry Kennedy and Leon "the Bull" Durham....the Cards were no longer my Cards, that is a good reason to stop following a team! :bwallace:

Bobby V in Texas was a bit of a trip, at some point he would throw a player or a coach under the bus if the heat got too high (and where "too high" was didn't seem to be all that high sometimes, to be honest...), but otoh, he got the Rangers on the road to at least thinking in terms of being a serious team. Good baseball head, not necessarily a real go-to-the-mat kind of guy

If I was a team that wanted to start getting somewhere, I think I'd be happy having him there, at least for a while. If I was an established player like the Red Sox...probably not nearly so much. That team looks from the outside like they need a kick-your-ass-in-private, boring/superficial-as-hell-on-the-outside type of guy. And Valentine being Valentine, the odds of him going to a "fixer upper" type of team doesn't seem too high to me.

Talk about Bobby Valentine becoming the next Red Sox manager appears to be heating up. Seems to me he's the sort of no nonsense guy this team needs. Wonder if Dan is around and willing to weigh in on this. Not that I wish for anything good for Boston, mind you, but this might be precisely what the doctor ordered.

To me that makes no sense. You root for the team through thick and thin. As players come and go, we, as fans, are still there. I may not always like (more often than not, if you have to know the truth) what the Mets do but I've been rooting for them for 50 years and I'm too old to kick the habit :blink:

Not necessarily.

The only LA franchise I root for is the Lakers. But when Dennis Rodman played for them I steadfastly refused to watch or support them until that jackass left the team.

Yeah, I left the Rangers during the Tom Hicks years, because it was obvious that the ownership was not interested in fielding a quality team, or even trying to develop one.

The only regret I have about that is the beginning of the Ron Washington/John Daniels years that are now bearing fruit (I would give anything to be able to go back in time and see Ian Kinsler as a rookie, or experience Josh Hamilton coming back from total degeneration, or Mark Texeria being traded for a big bundle of "WHO????"), but...I am not so big a sports junkie that I will be played for a total chump by a totally cynical organization. "If you build it, they will come" is not the same as "if you leave a shovel lying around, they will buy it and build it for you", ya' know?

This loyalty thing, it works both ways.

When Houston moves to the American league, who's supposed to be the natural inter-league rivals for the Astros and the Rangers? There are none. There are really only very few lucrative "natural" rivalries for inter-league play, and you can probably figure them out on a set of functional fingers fewer than Django Reinhardt's.

You are a 1%er, Bud Selig.

Why is "interleague" being spell checked as wrong, but "inter-league" is not? It's pretty clear that nobody writes this word with a hyphen anymore, if they ever did.

Edited by Neal Pomea

Bobby V in Texas was a bit of a trip, at some point he would throw a player or a coach under the bus if the heat got too high (and where "too high" was didn't seem to be all that high sometimes, to be honest...), but otoh, he got the Rangers on the road to at least thinking in terms of being a serious team. Good baseball head, not necessarily a real go-to-the-mat kind of guy

If I was a team that wanted to start getting somewhere, I think I'd be happy having him there, at least for a while. If I was an established player like the Red Sox...probably not nearly so much. That team looks from the outside like they need a kick-your-ass-in-private, boring/superficial-as-hell-on-the-outside type of guy. And Valentine being Valentine, the odds of him going to a "fixer upper" type of team doesn't seem too high to me.

He seems to do better with a relatively young team, like when he had the Mets. I think of the collapses the Mets had when they needed to win one game and get in the palyoffs and I always thought that Valentine would have found a way to win them. He knows a LOT about baseball, but that said, he can also rub people the wrong way.

Agree with you on that. I became a Yankee fan in 1964. I was eight years old, the Mets were a joke, the Yanks make the WS and lose in 7 to the Cards. They don't sniff a game after #162 until 1976, by which time I was 20 and had suffered through Horace Clarke, etc. for my adolescence. I stuck with my team through thick and thin and I still do. It's much easier now to be a Yankee fan, but I remember the lean years, the Stump Merrill years, etc.

Having done the same to the Cardinals when they hired Vern Rapp I totally get that sentiment.

Now Whitey Herzog...after he traded Gary Templeton, Ted Simmons, Keith Hernandez, Terry Kennedy and Leon "the Bull" Durham....the Cards were no longer my Cards, that is a good reason to stop following a team! :bwallace:

Forcing Al "The Mad Hungarian" to shave off his Fu Manchu was the final straw and I think he also wanted shorter haircuts on players too. That didn't set well with the 14 year old me who believed in the Samson power of long hair. :lol: But it was also trading Reggie Smith just before that that pissed me off royally. It was good for Reggie as he played in 3 World Series with the Dodgers, but who knows, had the Cards held onto him maybe the '70s would have been a better decade for the franchise.

Agree with you on that. I became a Yankee fan in 1964. I was eight years old, the Mets were a joke, the Yanks make the WS and lose in 7 to the Cards. They don't sniff a game after #162 until 1976, by which time I was 20 and had suffered through Horace Clarke, etc. for my adolescence. I stuck with my team through thick and thin and I still do. It's much easier now to be a Yankee fan, but I remember the lean years, the Stump Merrill years, etc.

I used to watch the Yankees then and root for them. Even though some of those late 60s teams weren't good, they did have a personality. I loved Horace as well as Jerry Kenney. They tried a lot.

I disagree.

As a kid, back in the 1960s, I was an Angels guy who liked the Giants because my best friend was from the Bay Area [it is also one of the reasons why I'm a Dodger hater, but that's a different story].

I lived and died with that Angels team. But when Gene Mauch had to prove to the world [twice with the Angels; once in 1982 (Remember that two man rotation? What an idiot.) then again in 1986 when he pulled Mike Witt with two out in the 9th against the BoSox (to insert an injured Donny Moore who later committed suicide over the loss)] that he couldn't win the big one, I had one foot out the door. Then a couple years later when the Angels traded Wally Joiner to make room for JT Snow whom they then traded to the Giants for Will "can't hit my hat size" Parker, I had had it. We were done. I had given enough of my heart to that team.

From that point on, I was a Giants fan who only follows the Angels.

Edited by GoodSpeak

This is a very different thing though. All of the stories of those of us who have had moments of defection (if you want to call it that) have something in common - either ownership, a manager or a player comes on board whose style, behavior or philosophy was so repugnant it makes watching your team something you want no part of. Baseball coverage in the early '70s wasn't what it's like today but I don't recall Horace or the other Yankees of the early '70s being portrayed as bad people (oh...I guess I'm not opposed to wife-swapping :lol:), just not the best of ballplayers. This is akin to the Mariners of the past too many years who play bad baseball, but I still remain loyal to them. However, my eyes do wander to other teams to root for when not against my team.

Forcing Al "The Mad Hungarian" to shave off his Fu Manchu was the final straw and I think he also wanted shorter haircuts on players too. That didn't set well with the 14 year old me who believed in the Samson power of long hair. :lol: But it was also trading Reggie Smith just before that that pissed me off royally. It was good for Reggie as he played in 3 World Series with the Dodgers, but who knows, had the Cards held onto him maybe the '70s would have been a better decade for the franchise.

ahh yes... Fu Manchugate! ;)

my brain gets so fuzzy going back to my first memories of baseball. Never can remember if it was 1976 or 1977 I became a baseball/Cardinals fan. Perhaps mid-late 1976, since I sure remember his "chu"

Did he want Reggie Smith traded??? Remember how Reggie's stance would make even a kid's knees ache????

and getting really into the bori..err interesting facts. At 37 for the Giants, he hit .284 with a .364 OBP, then retired! Bet his knees hurt...

According to ESPN Boston, the choice for the next manager of the Red Sox is down to either Bobby Valentine or Gene Lamont. Everyone knows Valentine. Lamont has been Jim Leyland's third base coach in Detroit for the last few years. He's 65 years old and has managed in the majors before. Supposably, a final decision will be made no later than next Monday.