Hot Stove Thread 2011-2012

• Replies 523
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Angels sign both Pujols & C.J. Wilson. Not a good day for the Rangers.

It was great day for us NL guys :g

More good news: Giants trade Andres Torres and Ramon Ramirez for Angel Pagan. Though I hated to see Torres go [great OF'er and speedy on the bases; no bat], it is nice to get another bat in the line-up.

Check out this crazyass deal the Rays got out of young phenom Matt Moore: http://www.draysbay.com/2011/12/9/2623480/tampa-bay-rays-sign-matt-moore-to-5-year-14m-deal

5/14 with club options that at most come in around 8/40.

OTOH, yeah, unproven quantity except in a very few games, so a lot of money for a kid who might go bust at any time (in theory).

But good god, if he turns out to be just good, how big of a steal is that for the team? And if he turns out to meet expectations...wow.

Who is this kid's agent, anyway?

Rays front office continues to amaze.

More good news: Giants trade Andres Torres and Ramon Ramirez for Angel Pagan. Though I hated to see Torres go [great OF'er and speedy on the bases; no bat], it is nice to get another bat in the line-up.

Which "bat" would that be?

If you're speaking of Pagan, as a Mets fan, I know that he possesses little or no heart. I see the swap as a wash - two inconsequential players trading places and offering improvement to neither team.

I'm not sure I completely agree about Pagan. He had a very good year in 2010 but was hurt a lot this year. He could never really get untracked. One thing he is lacking in is baseball smarts. Makes a lot of questionable decisions on the basepaths.

Heart was also missing. There was already talk that he was backing away from the leadership role he would have had to take on in order to be the team's leadoff man (which is where the Mets would have needed him most with Reyes gone). What athlete worth his salt does that??? Messier he was not. Good riddance, I say. Not really sorry in the least to see him go. Now if the Mets could find a way to get rid of more pieces of dead wood. Pelf anyone?

Well, I hadn't heard that and the Mets were planning to sign him until the Giants approached them. He wasn't (nor is Torres) a long range plan as the Mets have someone down on the farm waiting to play CF in a couple of years.

Edited by Brad

Which "bat" would that be?

If you're speaking of Pagan, as a Mets fan, I know that he possesses little or no heart. I see the swap as a wash - two inconsequential players trading places and offering improvement to neither team.

We'll see, Jet Man.

I'm not sure I completely agree about Pagan. He had a very good year in 2010 but was hurt a lot this year. He could never really get untracked. One thing he is lacking in is baseball smarts. Makes a lot of questionable decisions on the basepaths.

Again, we shall see.

Bochy did a lot with a lot of nothing to get to the WS in 2010. My money is on Sabean and his knowledege of player personell. The Giants have had a lot worse than Pagan.

Been hearing the same rumors...been hearing them about Darvish for quite a while now, actually. Rangers were scouting Darvish during the season, not sure if they actually established relations with the Ham Fighters or not, but Yoshi Tateyama is a former Ham Fighter, as is, I think, Koji Uehara, There's long been speculation that getting these guys was part of a "master plan" to woo Yu. Yoshi can probably give good witness, Koji, not so much.

Fielder has been everybody's fantasy since Mitch Moreland had a sucky-ish second half (as it turns out, he was playing through a wrist injury which he's now had surgery for). I like Mitch a whole lot, especially defensively, and think he's going to be a damn solid player when healed. Fielder's size worries me as far as the wearing down/out factor goes, but damn, would he be a good offensive fit for The Ballpark.

In the wake of Anaheim's Pujols/CJ gambit, a Fielder/Darvish counter would be one helluva PR move and/or fanbase morale booster, and might even actually help the team. But money talks, and when it come to Darvish, if the Yankees really want him, they can talk louder and longer than anybody, so...we shall see.

ESPN is reporting that National League MVP Ryan Braun, who last season led the Milwaukee Brewers to their first division title in nearly three decades, has tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug and faces a 50-game suspension if the initial finding is upheld.

Wow.

What an asshole.

So should the baseball writers take away Braun's 2011 MVP award?? My gut says yes, but I wonder if doing so that it would create more of a problem then already exists.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

ESPN is reporting that National League MVP Ryan Braun, who last season led the Milwaukee Brewers to their first division title in nearly three decades, has tested positive for a performance-enhancing drug and faces a 50-game suspension if the initial finding is upheld.

Wow.

What an asshole.

So should the baseball writers take away Braun's 2011 MVP award?? My gut says yes, but I wonder if doing so that it would create more of a problem then already exists.

I'm also hearing that the testing process mandates splitting a sample in two and then take testing each half separately to protect against a false positive, and that Braun's other half came back negative.

If this is true, ESPN reported prematurely and extremely irresponsibly.

Wow.

What an asshole.

I'm also hearing that the testing process mandates splitting a sample in two and then take testing each half separately to protect against a false positive, and that Braun's other half came back negative.

If this is true, ESPN reported prematurely and extremely irresponsibly.

Hmm. Well I hope ESPN didn't jump the gun on this. It would be really, really bad for baseball if it turns outs they were wrong.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

Baseball Prospectus has been following this in amazing detail. Probably most of us could jump ahead to Update 6 by this point. The false positive rate on the initial test is indeed very high, but this is one strange story.

Baseball Prospectus has been following this in amazing detail. Probably most of us could jump ahead to Update 6 by this point. The false positive rate on the initial test is indeed very high, but this is one strange story.

The Brewers must be taking it seriously since they picked up some more offense today when they signed Aramis Ramirez.

Is that pitch even legal in America?

I would say yes, providing its a one time event (it slipped out of his hand)....the batter can hit it and it would be the same as a pitched ball. However it's not a natural release motion as generally agreed upon- doing so again could be construed as deliberately confusing the batter and making a farce of the game, thus illegal.

I umpire girls fast pitch softball- and some baseball.