Adele overtakes Pink Floyd album in biggest-selling list

David Ayers

Here are the top 10 U.S. only albums sales figures taken from the RIAA website, which is interesting to compare to the U.K. only list posted earlier in the thread.

1. The Eagles - Greatest Hits 1971-1975 - 29 Million

2. Michael Jackson - Thriller - 27 Million

3. Led Zeppelin - IV - 23 Million

4. Pink Floyd - The Wall - 23 Million

5. AC/DC - Back In Black - 22 Million

6. Billy Joel - Greatest Hits Vol. 1 & 2 - 21 Million

7. Garth Brooks - Double Live - 21 Million

8. Shania Twain - Come On Over - 20 Million

9. The Beatles - The Beatles - 19 Million

10. Fleetwood Mac - Rumors - 19 Million

So what "genre" does she work in, broadly speaking? Pop, dance-pop, hip-hop-pop, rock-pop, mom-pop, pop-pop?

I like Alice Russell pretty well, often enough. If she's out of that bag, I might want to check her out. If it's just More Pop for More Radio. I think I'd just as soon leave it alone, that much more for everybody else.

So what "genre" does she work in, broadly speaking? Pop, dance-pop, hip-hop-pop, rock-pop, mom-pop, pop-pop?

I like Alice Russell pretty well, often enough. If she's out of that bag, I might want to check her out. If it's just More Pop for More Radio. I think I'd just as soon leave it alone, that much more for everybody else.

Take a chance. She's pretty good IMHO. :tophat:

As they say YMMV.

If I'm going to go to YouTube and pick one song to determine if there will or won't be any further interest, which one would you recommend?

From the latest album either "Someone Like You" or "Rollin' in the Deep" ... and I will be stunned if you haven't heard one of these. I have never sought these out and hear them all the time.

Ok, thanks for the tips, I checked her out and I think I'm gonna pass. She's got a real voice for sure (always appreciated, believe me), but her phrasing is always square on the beat, doesn't float, and there's not a lot-of intra-phrasal dynamics. Everything sounds kind of plodding to me (not helped by the sing-song melodies and also-square-on-the-beat backings), although that's probably too harsh a word, given the general connotations.

She's not gonna be for me, but hey, she doesn't suck either, so good for her. Live long, prosper, and we'll continue to live lives of non-intersection. Win-win!

Really good news for pop music would be grooves that don't plod, textures that evolve as the song goes along, and harmonies that surprise, but hey, it's not my world, ya' know? :g

What's a good example, currently, that fits this description? Or, if there is nothing current, how far back do you have to go to find pop music that fits this description?

Just curious.