MLB 2012 Season

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the deal with the Nationals this year? I mean, even with Werth on the DL, they're still tearing up the NL.

Werth has done very little of value for the Nats.

I know and that's what surprises me about the Nats. It wasn't all that long ago the Nats/Expos were bottom feeders. Now, they have a legit shot at the WS, IMHO.

What I admired most about the Rangers - their character, their resiliency, their defiance - has vanished. No idea why, or how, but it is gone.

Uh...guess it's back?

Teams do that, just to mess with your head.(And isn't that one of the greatest gifts of baseball? No way to really get a handle on it, to guess the future?) When the braves are losing, they look like the worst team in baseball. Start of the season, the braves picked up Chad Durbin, who had been released by the Nats. Seemed like a typical move by a team with tight purse strings. Cannot tell you how many times he gave up runs early on. Every outing in April it seemed. Some were unearned, but he was beyond a joke. Seemed to just be killing the team. One braves fan said he would rather see Deanna Durbin on the mound! hitters were batting .378 against him in April. Then .132 in May....now, most inherited runners don't score when he toes the rubber. Never would have guessed.

People thought Michael Bourn was not really into being a brave early on this year, no life in him, it seemed. After a few weeks though, he seemed the most fired up player on the team.

But, when they leave 10 runners on, can't advance guys, and lose 5-1 even though they had 10-12 hits....worst team in baseball!

Then the Giants are the Zen Masters of messing with fans' heads...and it can stop anytime now.

Grrr :angry:

OK, so...how many more years do we Giants fans have to suffer with Barry Zito? $18 MILLION dollars and to do what...throw batting practice? Geez!

Grrrr :angry:

You mean you didn't enjoy today's game? :)

Aarrruuugghhh!!!

No.

Edited by GoodSpeak

What I admired most about the Rangers - their character, their resiliency, their defiance - has vanished. No idea why, or how, but it is gone.

Uh...guess it's back?

KNOW it's back! Refuse-to-lose comeback last night, 15-8 stomping still going on right now.

It's ALL back, baby! :party:

OK, so...how many more years do we Giants fans have to suffer with Barry Zito? $18 MILLION dollars and to do what...throw batting practice? Geez!

Aarrruuugghhh!!!

No.

Ha! You should talk to my mother, her text to me this morning: "Giants suck"

Lee has a no-trade list, don't know if the Dodgers are on it or not. But it comes into play even on waivers moves.

Waivers are tricky...sometimes a team will make a claim with no intention of getting the player, they just want to block somebody else from getting him. So maybe this is all atrategic bullshit, b/c if the Phillies either don't give him to the Dodgers outright (higly unlikely) or work out a deal on their terms (almost as unlikely), then back to the Phillies he goes, and there he stays for the rest of the year. Nobody else in the NL (i.e. - anybody with a better record than the Dodgers, specifically the Giants) - and nobody in the AL - has any further right to make a claim, and any further dealings for Lee by anybody have to wait until the off season.

Wack-a-doodle-do!

Edited by JSngry

I sincerely hope that Ramirez, Lee and Vitorino take a permanent dump on the [hated] Dodgers.

Aarrruuugghhh!!!

No.

Ha! You should talk to my mother, her text to me this morning: "Giants suck"

I'm not too happy about it either, JETman.

Dodgers claim Cliff Lee on waivers, now will they make a deal for him or does Philly pull him back?

http://www.mlbtrader...on-waivers.html

It would seem to me as if they should to work out a trade, can't imagine Lee being hunky-dory with all this...

Don't get your hopes up. Lee is not going anywhere this season. Maybe in the off season. I've seen estimates from 75 - 90% of all the players in the MLB are put on waivers after August 1st every year. It's just standard operating procedure.

Dodgers claim Cliff Lee on waivers, now will they make a deal for him or does Philly pull him back?

It would seem to me as if they should to work out a trade, can't imagine Lee being hunky-dory with all this...

Don't get your hopes up. Lee is not going anywhere this season. Maybe in the off season. I've seen estimates from 75 - 90% of all the players in the MLB are put on waivers after August 1st every year. It's just standard operating procedure.

It is a wonder that when Lee was signed in 2011, it was thought the Phillies would be up at the top of the East every year. Now it seems as if they can't get rid of him fast enough, things are looking grim for the Phillies for the next couple of years.

Well, Phillies seem to be blowing up the team. I get trading Victorino. But why trade Hunter Pence? I know he gets paid very well, but he's only 29, and plays with a ton of energy. If the Giants get him, it will give them a huge boost. And most importantly, something for Mike Schwartz and Goodspeak to finally agree on!

Back to the Phils though. I'm not seeing ML ready pieces coming back, at least in the spotty info I am seeing. So do they trade Cliff Lee too? Roy? Boy, Cole Hamels must be kicking himself right now.

Trading two outfielders(one of which that will be a FA in two months) is not "blowing up" the team. Why get rid of Pence? Are you serious? He's a good complimentary player that is getting paid star money - $10M this season and he's eligible for arbitration next year(estimates are $13-15) That's a lot of coin for a player that can't field, throws like a girl, strikes out too much, is terrible with RISP, and doesn't know how to run the bases. But hey he's got a TON of energy. The Phillies are getting Schierholtz (who always comes up with a clutch hit vs. the Phillies it seems), the Giants # 2 overall prospect , a young arm, and most importantly they get to dump salary. I like it.

I don't think Lee was ever seriously on the market. That was just Amaro messing with the media's heads. Maybe soemthing will happen in the off season but it all depends upon Halladay's health.

The Phillies don't need to rebuild, just reload. Get a third baseman that can hit for power and field, grab Michael Bourn, and do something about the BP. Big "to do" list but not impossible.

I think you are forgetting your team has had no offense to support Pence this year.

Last 3 years with runners on, .309, with RISP, Pence is hitting .301

http://espn.go.com/m...g3/hunter-pence

Who lead the team in HR's , RBI's and hits? Pence. He shouldn't be a clean-up hitter, but he has had to be this season.

Pence may throw like a girl(then what does Juan Pierre throw like? ) but that girl usually gets outs with her arm, at least in past years http://www.nj.com/ti...ure_outfie.html

It just seams to me the Phils really need offense. If this frees up a bit of money to sign some guys, great...but the offense sucked before the trades...and I am seeing they got guys like a AA catcher. No 3rd basemen? No LF, CF, RF??

Ain't gonna get Michael Bourn , braves can actually afford him since we won't be spending money on Zack Greinke or Asshole Dempster in 2013(Hey, hope he's great with the Rangers, Rangers fans, but still a dick and a half!)

Let's look at Pence's 2012 #s - Yeh he gives you a power bat but not when you need it the most. With RISP he was hitting a meager .238 with the Phillies. Hasn't done any better since the trade - now his avg. w/ RISP is down to .227. Yes he was leading the team in HRs & RBIs but that 's bc Howard missed 1/2 the season and his RBI total was just 2 more than Chooch even though he played in 6 more games. Also it's interesting that you use the Outfield Runs Saved stat. His numbers in that category have been declining the each year since 2009 and this season he's currently at a -6. Not a good trend. Also check out this little tidbit..

"Both players(Victorino and Pence) rate poorly in a specific defensive metric -- Plus/Minus on balls hit to the deepest part of the ballpark. Victorino is last among major league outfielders with a -23 on deep balls this season, and he and Michael Saunders are the only are the only players worse than Pence, who’s tied with three others at -17. "

Can't wait to see how he fares in that crazy RF in SF. Like I said before he's a good player, not an elite player and while he's not getting Jayson Werth dollars(cough) he is getting overpaid this year and will get even more next season. He's getting paid more than some MLB team's entire outfield this season. I still think he can turn his season around though. He had a really good August/September after the trade last season. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery.

It is a wonder that when Lee was signed in 2011, it was thought the Phillies would be up at the top of the East every year. Now it seems as if they can't get rid of him fast enough, things are looking grim for the Phillies for the next couple of years.

The reason why the Phillies signed him was that they went "all in" for 2011/12/13 and they also didn't want him going to the Yankees, Red Sox, or Rangers. It almost worked for them last year and if everyone had been healthy this year they would be contending again. I don't mind that strategy. I'd rather them be aggressive and pay out the wazoo then to sit back and not take the chance. A lot can/will happen this off season. Don't count them out for next year and beyond just yet.