MLB 2012 Season

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smart move by the Yankees, Ichiro can still play, even if no longer at peak form.

Feeling kinda bad for M's fans, though.

Soft and cushy landing for Ichiro provided by that Mariner ownership. With the players the M's got, I hope they also got a box of donuts and a thermos of coffee, to make it worth their while.... thumbs_down.gif

Smart move by the Yankees, Ichiro can still play, even if no longer at peak form.

Soft and cushy landing for Ichiro provided by that Mariner ownership. With the players the M's got, I hope they also got a box of donuts and a thermos of coffee, to make it worth their while.... thumbs_down.gif

Wait, now hold on...Ichiro is going to the Yankees?

Who thought that was a good idea? :blink:

Colby Lewis to the disabled list, Martin Perez recalled http://www.lonestarball.com/2012/7/23/3178490/colby-lewis-to-the-disabled-list-martin-perez-recalled#comments

This is disappointing, but not entirely unexpected, given the rumblings that we've heard the last couple of days. The more critical question is, how long is Lewis going to be on the shelf? If this is a matter of Perez getting two or three spot starts before Lewis comes back, that's one thing, but if Lewis is going to be unavailable for an indeterminate amount of time, or could be out into September, this has the potential to be quite problematic.

Lewis would be eligible to return from the disabled list on August 2, at the earliest.

Well, is it time to Panic or is it time to Don't Panic?

I'm confoosled!

Too early yet, Jim.

Give it until late August/early September then hit the panic button.

Nah, I think it's time now:

Colby Lewis out for the year: http://espn.go.com/dallas/conversations/_/id/8192937/sources-texas-rangers-colby-lewis-expected-miss-rest-season-torn-ligament

Meaning that whatever trade is made will now come at an extremely high cost...too high, I'm afraid.

Oh well...shit happens and it's been - and still will be - a great team to watch.

The Yanks open up a three game set with the Mariners tonight in Seattle. Wonder if the new guy will get a shot? It's not like he wouldn't be familiar with right field.

LATE BREAKING NEWS:

I have been authorized to extend to all disenfranchised Seattle fans a special one time only offer...an unheard of mid-season exception that will offer each and every one of you full membership in the Yankee Fan Club. Just let me know where you'd like me to send your Application To Become A Yankee Fan. Needless to say, your request must still be approved, but I'll put in a good word for you. And don't forget. The Yankee tent has always been a big tent. There's plenty of room for everyone.

Nah, I think it's time now:

Colby Lewis out for the year: http://espn.go.com/dallas/conversations/_/id/8192937/sources-texas-rangers-colby-lewis-expected-miss-rest-season-torn-ligament

Meaning that whatever trade is made will now come at an extremely high cost...too high, I'm afraid.

Oh well...shit happens and it's been - and still will be - a great team to watch.

Well...the Giants lost Brian Wilson for the year. Freddy Sanchez is out indefinitely and so is Aubrey Huff.

But they're still chugging along and even one sports dude on the MLB Network said the Giants are one of [if not] the best teams in the NL right now.

Panic in late August. Still plenty of baseball left to play.

The Yanks open up a three game set with the Mariners tonight in Seattle. Wonder if the new guy will get a shot? It's not like he wouldn't be familiar with right field.

LATE BREAKING NEWS:

I have been authorized to extend to all disenfranchised Seattle fans a special one time only offer...an unheard of mid-season exception that will offer each and every one of you full membership in the Yankee Fan Club. Just let me know where you'd like me to send your Application To Become A Yankee Fan. Needless to say, your request must still be approved, but I'll put in a good word for you. And don't forget. The Yankee tent has always been a big tent. There's plenty of room for everyone.

I'll pass.

Edited by GoodSpeak

I haven't heard yet, but imagine that this is Ichiro's last season. 2nd down season. hard to believe, but he's 38. I think it is a classy move to trade him to the Yankees, let him get a chance to go to the playoffs, go out a winner. And hey, if he hits .320 down the stretch, has a few fly balls somehow manage to cross that far faraway right field fence...perhaps he sticks around another year...nothing like playing for a pennant to get the juices flowing...

I haven't heard yet, but imagine that this is Ichiro's last season. 2nd down season. hard to believe, but he's 38. I think it is a classy move to trade him to the Yankees, let him get a chance to go to the playoffs, go out a winner. And hey, if he hits .320 down the stretch, has a few fly balls somehow manage to cross that far faraway right field fence...perhaps he sticks around another year...nothing like playing for a pennant to get the juices flowing...

I think his longevity in New York is a function of how well he performs. He's 38 and has some miles on him, but he's always kept himself in great condition and he doesn't have the sort of swing that will abandon him any time soon. He plays solid outfield, still has the great arm and can steal a base or two. I could easily see him in pinstripes for another couple of years. And given the age of the rest of the team, he'll fit right in. All things considered, including the low cost, a smart and savvy acquisition.

This year in baseball has not been kind to Scott Feldman, and in return, neither have Ranger fans.

But tonight, when hearts were heavy in the aftermath of the Colby Lewis news (it's not just a baseball thing, either, with this guy there's a lot of "Everyman made good" love and respect for this guy from fans all the way up to front office), a night in which if Scot Feldman would have sucked donkey dicks (like his wont has been more often than not this year) there would have been like,,,a massive baseball bummer in Rangerland, tonight, Scott Feldman stepped up and out and said, hey, I got this.

And indeed he did.

You go with that from here on out, Scott Feldman, you go with that.

I have been authorized to extend to all disenfranchised Seattle fans a special one time only offer...an unheard of mid-season exception that will offer each and every one of you full membership in the Yankee Fan Club.

No thanks. I was on it from the early '70s until '95 when I wondered which team I would root for in the ALDS, my old favorite or the "local" squad that drew me in with Pee Wee Briley and young Edgar. I picked the right one and even rooted against Donnie Baseball in his final season and have stuck with them since. You can keep your precious rings from '96 on, I have Griffey's smile at the bottom of the pile at home from '95. :)

As for the trade, Ichiro has next to nothing left. He's been hitting like a 140 lb. shortstop from the '70s vs lefties and even against righties he has little business batting near the top of the order. Sure, he almost hits .300 away from Safeco but he doesn't walk so he's hurting you there too given it's all singles. In the old days he'd hit .350 and have an OBP of .370, now subtract 60 points from both. Perhaps Yankeeland, the friendly park, a stronger batting order and change will light him up. I hope so as I like the guy and he deserves better than the shit Seattle has played for the past few (10?) years. It had to be done as it would have been stupid to re-sign him. Maybe with the NY press we'll hear more of the fun & goofy things he sometimes says.

Edited by Quincy

Part of why Rangers fans love Colby Lewis and are sad about the turn of events: http://www.lonestarball.com/2012/7/24/3182367/on-colby-lewis

For me, it was during the 2010 WS, when they asked him about the pressure, and he said, no, this isn't real pressure. Real pressure is packing up your family and moving to a country where you don't speak the language in the hopes of having a job for a little while.

God bless life perspective, and God bless Colby Lewis.

Tomorrow afternoon I will be basking in the San Francisco fog [sun later] at the Padres vs. Giants game. Upper deck seats, on the 1B side behind the visitor dugout.

Tim Lincecum [4-10, 5.72 ERA, 121 SO, RHP] and Jason Marquis [5-9, 5.58 ERA, 60 SO, RHP] are on the mound.

Watch for me...I'll be the one with the Giants WS cap on. My buddy will be wearing one, too. I'll be sure to wave ^_^

Edited by GoodSpeak

Marlins are blowing up the team.....again. Anabel and Omar to the Tigers for their best pitching and catching prospects...

and now, the Dodgers get Hanley Ramirez and Randy Choate for , well some young starter and another minor leaguer not yet known....

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/dodgers-acquire-hanley-ramirez-randy-choate.html#disqus_thread

How can it be that Hanley went from being one of if not the best hitter in the game, to having back to back sub .250 seasons????

John Kruk was talking about his swing last night, not being able to "Clear" his hips(basically open them up, to be facing the pitcher, or SS) even with a hit last night with the Marlins against the braves, he just doesn't look right at the plate. Perhaps Donny baseball can fix him? If he/they can, the Dodgers will be much improved...Where does Dee Gordon end up????

And poor dear Ryan Dempster apparently doesn't want to play for the Braves for a whole two months, then either re-sign with them, or any other team next year... wants to go to the Dodgers too, and now, so F' him! Funny to hear he's a swell guy, when he has cost the Cubs a prime young arm. Now the Dodgers don't have to offer nearly as much for him, since, well, where does he go then? Theo really screwed up not talking to him to see where he would or wouldn't go....

Anyone still want to argue that Barry Bonds didn't take steroids or HGH? In case you didn't recognize him, he's the one on the left.

bonds-bicycling-colorado.jpg

You mean the only black guy in the picture? The guy on the right looks more bulked out. Think he's on steroids/HGHs?

C'mon Dave. Two entirely different sports with two distinctly different conditioning and body-type needs.

He's also 48 and no longer plays baseball. Put the Bonds hater-aid down.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Arguably an upgrade from the dynamic Aaron Cunningham.

Nice to see Tribe beat Verlander, but they are not going anywhere, despite the trade for Ubaldo which supposedly imbued a sense of "urgency". Maybe Carmona/Hernandez will surprise in a few weeks. Not holding breath.