MLB 2012 Season

It's going to be hard to get 4 games in with the Braves in DC, given the weather forecast this weekend. But this will be a good series between 2 teams that are pretty evenly matched. Lots of respect for the Braves here!

Gee, and I HATE Everything about the Nats, weird! :beee:

:rlol Keed, I keed! I still don't know why your GM won't listen to me and just rest Strausburg for 2-3 weeks...doesn't have to be for a month...he is going to end up losing his job if the Nats shut him down Sept 1st, and fade out of the playoffs...people don't care about next year....and next year there can be a rash of injuries and they can end up 4th...

Edited by BERIGAN

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Woo! 9-0, then we lost 11-10!

and they say baseball is boring!!

that was an amazing game, wasn't it? I Don't even know why I came to to watch, after hearing braves were down 9-2, then it was 9-4. Thought, hmmm, wonder if they could come back? Thought after not scoring more in the 8th (9-8 leaving 2 runners on in typical braves fashion) the Nats would win. Then the braves score 2 more(Bourn just missed hitting a homer which would have made it 11-9) and with Kimbrel coming in, the game was all over, I was once again sure. (He is arguably the best closer in the game, since June 1st, hitters were hitting .089 against him!) then a homer by Espinosa. Well, that felt like a death knell for the braves. No way they could come back again..but, they did! Still, think with Sheets pitching game one(This will be...his 4th start this year, at any level!) and Delgado coming up for a game...the braves bullpen will be toast...Nats saved 3 guys, braves only one bullpen arm...should be an interesting to see how the rest of the series plays out!

Had the Mets had a half decent bullpen, they would have swept the series. If they want to stay relevant they need bullpen help NOW! In a way I think Alderson wouldn't be that unhappy if they dropped out of the race. That way, they could continue to develop under his plan under the radar. I know that sounds crazy but if they hang around, he's under pressure to do something and he doesn't want to deviate from his plan. For instance, he doesn't want to bring up Matt Harvey to address a pitching need. He only wants to bring Harvey up if Harvey is ready.

If the Mets had an average bullpen, not even a good one, they'd have 6-7 more wins, possibly more.

Well, I've been enjoying the Melk-Man story up til now...he seems to be pissed off at the team that didn't re-sign him after he hit .255 with 4 homers in 2010... very weird. http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2012/07/chipper-jones-calls-out-melky-cabrera-for-gesture/1#.UAgRMvVQR-x

Maybe it has more to do with that stupid "chop" tune the PA plays every 20 seconds. Seriously. Do they really have to play that song so often? Geez, it gets annoying. Apparently, the stadium "music director" only has three active braincells and/or the memory span of a gnat. No wonder nobody shows up to the games.

In the meantime, Santiago Casilla needs to go down to Fresno AAA. I mean, he's blown 5-6 save opportunities and has an abysmal 10.75 ERA.

The Mets must have the worst relief pitching in the major leagues. Again, I'm not a Mets fan, but I've been watching them lately. Frustrating to watch their bullpen throw away games.

I dunno.

The Phillies would be a close second. I still can't believe they lost to the Dodgers yesterday; bad relief coupled with bone head mistakes blew it for them after a very nice come back courtesy the hitters.

Wow, the chop drives former braves players that were fat, & unproductive, into insufferable assholes when they come to town? I didn't know that! Will have to see what happens the next time a guy like that comes to the Ted! ;)

Well...he has certainly blossomed into a very good All-Star MVP player since leaving Chop-lanta.

Coincidence? I think not ^_^

Had the Mets had a half decent bullpen, they would have swept the series. If they want to stay relevant they need bullpen help NOW! In a way I think Alderson wouldn't be that unhappy if they dropped out of the race. That way, they could continue to develop under his plan under the radar. I know that sounds crazy but if they hang around, he's under pressure to do something and he doesn't want to deviate from his plan. For instance, he doesn't want to bring up Matt Harvey to address a pitching need. He only wants to bring Harvey up if Harvey is ready.

If the Mets had an average bullpen, not even a good one, they'd have 6-7 more wins, possibly more.

Sure would have been nice if they showed up last night vs. the Dodgers.

Credit where credit is due.....

Two hot teams squaring off in Oakland.

The A's have taken the first 2 games of the 4 game set against the Yankees.

Last night, a well played game that the Yanks tie 2-2 in the 8th to lose to Oakland 3-2 in the botton of the 9th.

10th walk-off win for the A's leads the majors.

One more time the A's restock young arms and position players for the rest of MLB.

Those who proove they can produce, eventually get paid, which is NOT what the A's do, so the roulette wheel turns; like all-star pitcher for the Nats, Gio Gonzalez.

Which of the A's rising stars will be playing for your favorite team?

Edited by Mike Schwartz

Some really murky rumors going around (Heyman being the latest to murk) about Cliff Lee possibly returning to the Rangers in return for prospects and the Phillies eating his contract in proportion to the number (we have a fair amount) and quality (we have a fair amount of good ones) of prospects tendered.

No. Please, no. As a rumor or as a deal that comes to pass, no.

Unless Colby Lewis goes back on the DL for a really prolonged stretch and the only option to replace him is Scott Feldamn. And even then...

Some really murky rumors going around (Heyman being the latest to murk) about Cliff Lee possibly returning to the Rangers in return for prospects and the Phillies eating his contract in proportion to the number (we have a fair amount) and quality (we have a fair amount of good ones) of prospects tendered.

Cliff reads this forum. He knows he owes you. ;)

Speaking of Lee's "many places I've been," any chance you want Justin Smoak back? :lol:

Speaking of Lee's "many places I've been," any chance you want Justin Smoak back? :lol:

3 HR's 14 RBI's and .160 at home. Wow...that's not all that good, is it? and what happened to Dustin Ackley??? Looks to my eyes he has a completely different swing this year, and it's not working. Am I just dreaming that? I usually can tell who a hitter is even if a tv is too far away for me to see the name...granted he just started last year, but its got to be different...he looks like he ties himself up at the plate this year...

The Rangers appear to be doing just fine without Cliff Lee.

Interesting HR derby in the Giants vs. Phillies game [where even the starting pitchers each jacked one] yesterday...won on a bunt by Blanco. Go figure.

The Rangers appear to be doing just fine without Cliff Lee.

Yeah, but other than Harrison & Darvish, the rotation has been, shall we say, "unstable" in both personnel and results. Feliz might not be back at all this year (a recent AA rehab start, his first, did not go well at all), Holland has come back but has not (yet) looked to be particularly dominating, Colby's back, but the condition of his shoulder is now subject of some uncertainty. And Oswalt...the jury's still out on Oswalt. The patches (Feldamn, Grimm, & Perez) have been more miss than hit.

The rotation is still not really firmed up, and going into/down the stretch, that's concerning. "Good team problems", I know, but this is a good team, which makes all the question marks about the rotation particularly worrisome. Do you go after a rental and overpay relative to the return, or do you hold what you got and hope for the best?

Whatever the answer is, I don't think it includes Cliff Lee. But they ain't asking me!

and what happened to Dustin Ackley???

Sophomore jinx? The curse on all young hitters, hell, all "hitters" this franchise has. (Can we please get a steroid/human growth hormone exemption? Think of it like the golf handicap system). I dunno. It's just endless sadness this time of year for so many running. Not that it's sadness from thinking the M's would contend - that was never in the picture. But the hope that the kids would grow a little and that at least one or two of them would prove to be something to build on. Or become good enough to trade away for crap in a couple of years. I used to wonder if because Ichiro was such a fit fellow if he'd age better than your average aging star but obviously that's not the case. Jay Buhner was asked if Ichiro should be re-signed and he said "he'd vomit if he was." We're scheduled to see Paps' team play at Safeco in mid-August but I can't see myself paying for anything other than a cheap seat or heavily discounted, as the M's being on the field means all tickets should be 1/2 price (unless Felix pitches).

Credit where credit is due.....

Two hot teams squaring off in Oakland.

The A's have taken the first 2 games of the 4 game set against the Yankees.

Last night, a well played game that the Yanks tie 2-2 in the 8th to lose to Oakland 3-2 in the botton of the 9th.

10th walk-off win for the A's leads the majors.

One more time the A's restock young arms and position players for the rest of MLB.

Those who proove they can produce, eventually get paid, which is NOT what the A's do, so the roulette wheel turns; like all-star pitcher for the Nats, Gio Gonzalez.

Which of the A's rising stars will be playing for your favorite team?

Sunday's walk-off win was the first time in 40 years the Oakland A's completed a four-game sweep of the New York Yankees, and the first time ever the A's did it at home.

And almost as if on cue:

Oswalt scratched for tomorrow, Lewis start Tuesday in doubt http://www.lonestarball.com/2012/7/22/3176293/oswalt-scratched-for-tomorrow-lewis-start-tuesday-in-doubt#comments

Feldamn tomorrow, Perez back up from AAA if needed on Tuesday.

Well, what will the Yankees, err Rangers get then? Hamels or Lee? Decisions, decisions! ;)

Meanwhile the braves traded the next Adam Wainwright, Randall Delgado, for Dempster. Dempster's been really good, but he's 35, and Delgado is only 22, and was pitching the best I have ever seen in his last start. Easy 95 in the 1st. I finally could see the Pedro Martinez comparisons. Cubs fans are gonna love him....braves are so dirt poor these days(worst tv contract in baseball, locked up for 20 years) they probably gave up a better prospect so the Cubs would pay the 5.5 mil Dempster is owed for the rest of the season...

Sunday's walk-off win was the first time in 40 years the Oakland A's completed a four-game sweep of the New York Yankees, and the first time ever the A's did it at home.

Wow...has it been that long?

Geez, that goes clear back to the Charlie O. daze when the A's fielded the likes of Rollie Fingers, Joe Rudi, Reggie Jackson, Sal Bando, Catfish Hunter, Ted Kubiak, Vida Blue...they were just plain unstoppable!

Edited by GoodSpeak

Colby Lewis to the disabled list, Martin Perez recalled http://www.lonestarball.com/2012/7/23/3178490/colby-lewis-to-the-disabled-list-martin-perez-recalled#comments

This is disappointing, but not entirely unexpected, given the rumblings that we've heard the last couple of days. The more critical question is, how long is Lewis going to be on the shelf? If this is a matter of Perez getting two or three spot starts before Lewis comes back, that's one thing, but if Lewis is going to be unavailable for an indeterminate amount of time, or could be out into September, this has the potential to be quite problematic.

Lewis would be eligible to return from the disabled list on August 2, at the earliest.

Well, is it time to Panic or is it time to Don't Panic?

I'm confoosled!