MLB 2012 Season

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Glad the slimmed down and trimmed up Mark Teixeira is off on the right foot, batting a cool .000 after six official plate appearances. Maybe he should look more seriously into that bunting idea he espoused during Spring training. Between him and A-Rod, the Yanks are on the hook for an awful lot of money for the production they could easily be getting out of guys who cost about 20% of what they're paying these two. ...

Hey, can you mention any names the el-cheap-o Braves could get for 20% of Tex's numbers????

ab67fb183967664.jpg

Please, I beseech you, don't make me defend Tex! ;) End of the year, he will still have 30+ HR's and 100 + RBI's and will play stellar defense...

And no team can look as bad as the braves did being swept by the Mets....no hitting, overrated starters...we have a GM telling the press who will and won't be a starting pitcher weeks before spring training ends(A really clever GM would trade for Kris Medlen and have a guy who would win 12-15 games with a 3.50 ERA, but with the braves, he will be our 4th best bullpen guy)

Medlen had a 0.82 era in S.T.(they wouldn't let him start anymore, cuz you know..he's 26, he is just a bullpen arm) Julio Teheran , AKA the next Pedro Martinez #1 had a sparkling 9.37 ERA , but just couldn't make the cut out of S.T.

Nope, Randall Delgado, AKA the Next Pedro Martinez #2 beat him out with a microscopic 7.89 ERA.

I am being really mean to them, they both pitched decently late last year but were both out of steam at the end of the season. Delgado is only 22, Teheran is only 21...but, they are clearly, CLEARLY not ready now...neither made it past 5 innings the entire spring.

Medlen was 6-2 in 107 innings, in 2010, with a 3.68 ERA...then blew out his elbow...He should start, show other teams he can still start, and perhaps get traded for the outfielder we so desperately need.

Doesn't anyone have a crowded outfield with a need for a good #3,4 starter? We can trade you Medlen and Prado...give our stoopid GM a call, he might finally wise up that the team that collapsed late last year is the same team they are trying to win with this year.

Well, good thing no GM was smart enough to listen to me! ^_^ And the Braves GM wasn't dumb enough to trade him (or Prado for that matter) Medlen has a 1.57 ERA for the year, about 2 runs per game lower than I would have expected. And his ERA as a starter was lower than that...still don't believe for a second they were "saving" his arm after T.J. surgery, for the stretch drive. He's going to 27 in a few days!

Worry that the one game playoff is just ripe for the braves to lose 2-0. Cards have just about the most potent lineup in the NL, and after all, they won the W.S. with basically the same lineup, save for Phat Albert. Glad he's not playing tomorrow...It's an impossible dream, but I'd LOVE to see Chipper play his last few games in Yankee stadium. By the way, A.J. Burnett, in one of the few classy moves of his career (he wouldn't come to Atlanta a few years ago when the Braves offered a ton of Moola, because the misses likes to take a limo to the game, and it was too darned far from wherever they live on the east coast to ATL, so the braves had to overpay for 4 years of Derek Lowe, and our own Dice-K, Kenshin Kawakami, who got paid 7-8 million to play in AA last year) Burnett. tossed a fastball down the middle, that Chipper spanked into right in his last regular season AB.

Might have missed Ben Sheets pitched in his last game yesterday too. Started his 250th and final game. Pitched one inning, struck out 2. Was hitting 95 MPH. Seems his arm was fine, but the dunces(Manager? Pitching coach?) didn't think about using him for over a month, so he decided it was time to bow out. I'd love to have him in the bullpen, IF the braves make it past the 1 game playoff....

Edited by BERIGAN

Expand each league by a team, go to four divisions, and lose the Wild Card altogether. At least it'll be all "winners" playing instead of three "winners" an one or tow "runner up"s.

I love what you have to say about your Rangers but I disagree here. The more you carve up divisions the more likely you have a losing record "win" a division while more deserving 2nd place teams lose out. Look at the NFL when a 7-9 Seattle team made the playoffs. And yes, I know they won their first game but still. Whatever the debate is for AL MVP about Mike Trout vs. Cabrera, the thing that kills me is those twits who say "Well Detroit won their division." Yeah, but who had the better record? Angels. And who had the best record in baseball once the kid was called up? At least with 3 games to go in the season it was the freaking Angels. So shame on them for not calling him up earlier because of arbitration issues down the line. Anyway, I'd rather go back to 2 division than go to 4!

how about playoffs between first half and second half winners????

I'm still rooting for the Rangers! If they go down, THEN I'll root for the A's all the way. But not a minute before! :party:

Is it just me, or does it seem as if Hamilton is going down the road toward a major relapse? I pray he doesn't but he just seems out of it in a very bad way. People laughed at the caffeine thing, but to me, that was a major red flag in terms of his recovery.

Who knows what or where Josh is going or doing...it's kinda like right now, just keep your personal dramas to yourself and play baseball, enough really is enough, and if you can't manage that just once, go someplace else to figure it out. Forgiveness is one thing, tolerance something else entirely, concern yet another thing. They sometimes intersect, but never always. He's a grown-ass man making grown-ass man money and getting grown-ass Super Man attention, time for him to accept the responsibility that comes with all that. Just...decide, ok?

Really.

As far as the energy drink thing goes, before my blood pressure got kinda high, I used to mess with those things. The effect of one good one is somewhat speed-like, and I know plenty of people who guzzle them one after the other, which I think is pretty much batshit crazy, both in the doing and in the results.

Energy drinks consumed in mass quantities may well be the PED that nobody thinks about, because they're totally legal, totally respected, and for all I know, toally endorsed/endorsing in the business of MLB. But I do know that that stuff can get you amped up like any number of substances that could get you suspended.

Maybe that's how the A's are playing such crazy-mad baseball, Red Bull gave them wings! :g

It's a Gift When All 162 Games Matter

Quite a season all around, though I wasn't able to follow it nearly as closely as I have in recent years. If the Yanks don't win it all, I'd love to see any of the other AL teams this year take the WS... reasons to root for all of them.

Don't worry, the Yankees won't win-- gee, I haven't had a good anti-Yankees rant in ages, they're just so boring now....

laugh.gif Welcome back to the thread

I just worry about baseball going to an expanded NHL/NBA playoff wherein everybody makes it in.

I'm still not convinced the extra WC team is a good idea.

It made the division races meaningful.

I think you get that with the previous system of allowing only one WC team.

I agree, I felt it all meant less this year because the teams were all in, no one was risking being eliminated. Last year was good because someone was going home with a loss. I hate this new system mad.gif

So do I.

And as Matthew pointed out: Bud Selig is an idiot.

I just worry about baseball going to an expanded NHL/NBA playoff wherein everybody makes it in.

I'm still not convinced the extra WC team is a good idea.

It made the division races meaningful.

I think you get that with the previous system of allowing only one WC team.

With one wild card there's no premium to winning the division, as the wild card only gets less home games. With two wild cards, you run the risk, if you're a wild card, of one game and you're out. With one wild card there's a five game series for the wild card. That scenario is what drove the Yanks and O's to battle it out to the end, as neither team wanted to face a one and done situation.

I'm a Yank fan through and through, but much respect and admiration for the A's & O's and their battles to make the playoffs. Both teams have just about no household names, but they both play hard and give it everything they've got. I think for manager of the year in the AL we need two winners, Showalter & Melvin, both deserve it richly.

A side note- the A's traded Gio Gonzalez in the offseason, he might win the Cy Young, and the A's STILL make the playoffs- amazing!!!

I see your point.

Although that AL East race had more to do with winning the Division than the WC, IMHO. Call me old fashioned, but I just think the regular season is long enough [with 162 games] and provides sufficient motivation to get to the playoffs. That one and done scenario plays out almost every year in some form or another during the season, I figure.

I dunno. Maybe I'll come to like the two WC system over time. We'll see.

Edited by GoodSpeak

I hate that. That's what was done in the '81 strike season. The Cards & Reds had the best records but neither won a half and so were left out of the playoffs.

This format is used in single A short season ball (and perhaps other leagues) though the minors are different since the best players are promoted along the way.

I hate that. That's what was done in the '81 strike season. The Cards & Reds had the best records but neither won a half and so were left out of the playoffs.

This format is used in single A short season ball (and perhaps other leagues) though the minors are different since the best players are promoted along the way.

I'll screw up something I read somewheres(hopefully not here! :ph34r: ) anyway, someone suggested if a team won the division with a so-so record(like Detroit) then they face the team with the best record, basically, forget division or W.C. team, worst team recordwise plays the best team....too radical for Bud, no doubt...

WHAT'S WRONG WITH THE BRAVO'S FIELDING AND BASERUNNING??? OH MY!!!!

THE INFIELD FLY RULE CALL IS ONE OF THE WORST I'VE EVER SEEN. BRAVES GOT DESTROYED.

If they lost after basically choking on defense, that's sad for we braves fans,(And Chipper should not have the end of his career come because he threw wide) but God, what a horrible call! Why can't the umpires talk amongst themselves to resolve this? and I am just seeing the call was made as the ball was 15 feet from the Cards SS!!!!

I'm visiting Cardinal country and it's a hell of thing to have 3 elimination games in a row carrying over from last year's World Series. 4 PM is an awkward time for a game and as my dad isn't a fan we went out to dinner. The waiter who we've known for years is a fan so I put my iPhone on the corner of the table for him (and me) and when he'd walk by he could glance though I also gave verbal updates of "no change" and the like. :)

That was an awful call & I feel for you Berigan, though if we get this going again maybe they'll bring 2 home. Given the delay if MLB had any sense they'd overrule it right now. Yeah, sure, that'll happen.

Edited by Quincy

At least they didn't forfeit the game, now that would have been interesting. If it was a regular season game, it would have been called. Too bad Mr. BS himself wasn't there so he could make it worse. I'm going love to hear the ruling on the protest.

They've already turned it down.