Turntable mats

I've been playing a lot more vinyl since I got my new turntable and am enjoying it a lot. However, one problem has arisen.

When I clean a disc with my Parostatik disc preener, it builds up static which, a lot of the time, causes the turntable mat to stick to the underside of the lp. It's hard to get it off. You can't lift it off putting your fingernail under the mat, because it's a sure-fire recipe for scratching a record one day and kicking yourself forever. I tried pulling it off using my fingernail on the mat itself and was horrified to feel the grooves through the mat. So I think I need a different mat, though advice to the contrary will be interesting.

Do any of the British members have a recommendation for a mat that won't give a toss for how much static the record has?

MG

well getting a different mat is treating a symptom not the problem. the problem is static, and apparently lots of since it is causing th mat to stick to the LP. I think you'd be better off with a proper anti-static dry brush and maybe a zero stat gun.

Edited by sksmith66

well getting a different mat is treating a symptom not the problem. the problem is static, and apparently lots of since it is causing th mat to stick to the LP. I think you'd be better off with a proper anti-static dry brush and maybe a zero stat gun.

Thanks. You're undoubtedly right about treating the symptom, not the problem. Is an anti-static dry brush one of those that sits beside the deck and you put the arm on the record while it's playing? I've seen those and always wondered what they did. My turntable doesn't have a deck to stand such a thing on; the playing surface of the LP is about 4 inches above the level of the shelf on which the turntable stands, so a thing like I imagine you're talking about would need a little derrick to stand on :)

I assume the brush cleans the record just ahead of the stylus, like you see the support people doing in curling matches.

What does a zero stat gun do?

MG

Thanks. You're undoubtedly right about treating the symptom, not the problem. Is an anti-static dry brush one of those that sits beside the deck and you put the arm on the record while it's playing? I've seen those and always wondered what they did. My turntable doesn't have a deck to stand such a thing on; the playing surface of the LP is about 4 inches above the level of the shelf on which the turntable stands, so a thing like I imagine you're talking about would need a little derrick to stand on :)

I assume the brush cleans the record just ahead of the stylus, like you see the support people doing in curling matches.

MG

an anti-static brush is just a brush that is properly grounded. they are still operated by hand. they are used for dry cleaning of LPs before playing. they'll take off loose particles of dust. They have some that even plug into an oulet and use it's ground:

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Static-Draining-Record-Brush/productinfo/PHONO-BRU/

IMO this is worth every bit of $40. think about how much you have invested in your vinyl setup and your LPs. $40 to may playback massively more enjoyable is easily worth it IMO.

the zero stat gun is is basically an anti static gun. kinda pricey but I've heard they work wonders. I've never used one personally. but basically if your LP has built up a static charge point this gun at it and pull the trigger and it basically releases the static charge. sounds hokey, but it is supported by basic science and tons of vinyl entusiasts swear by them.

I've also hear having a humidifier to keep humidty up to a decent percentage helps a bit with static build up.

MG

an anti-static brush is just a brush that is properly grounded. they are still operated by hand. they are used for dry cleaning of LPs before playing. they'll take off loose particles of dust. They have some that even plug into an oulet and use it's ground:

http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Static-Draining-Record-Brush/productinfo/PHONO-BRU/

IMO this is worth every bit of $40. think about how much you have invested in your vinyl setup and your LPs. $40 to may playback massively more enjoyable is easily worth it IMO.

This seems a bit OTT for me, and I don't have a spare plughole near the turntable anyway (already got one four way socket running off the wall point). I did a search and they don't sell them over here.

I've also hear having a humidifier to keep humidty up to a decent percentage helps a bit with static build up.

I live in the rainiest part of the UK :)

MG

This seems a bit OTT for me, and I don't have a spare plughole near the turntable anyway (already got one four way socket running off the wall point). I did a search and they don't sell them over here.

MG

suit yourself. a decent TT mat is going to easily cost you half as much as this. what's another $20 in the grand scheme of the Vinyl hobby. buy one less record next time you are at the shop and it is covered.

MG

suit yourself. a decent TT mat is going to easily cost you half as much as this. what's another $20 in the grand scheme of the Vinyl hobby. buy one less record next time you are at the shop and it is covered.

Yes, you're right, but they don't sell 'em over here. So a cork mat looks like the best bet.

MG

Anyway this is what all the well-turned-out hi-fi buffs are using now:

zerostat gun

I'm still using my original Zerostat, purchased back in 1979 :crazy:

Seems to work fine. With the LP12 I use Linn's bog-standard mat, never seem to have too much of a static problem. You need to put it the right way up though (matted weft), otherwise a bit of harshness of sound creeps in !

With the LP12 I use Linn's bog-standard mat, never seem to have too much of a static problem. You need to put it the right way up though (matted weft), otherwise a bit of harshness of sound creeps in !

I never realised there was a "right" and "wrong" way to put the mat on! Both sides look the same to me.

Oh dear, back to the drawing board...... :blink:

I love Herbie's Audio Lab isolation products. Haven't tried the Mat because several Rega owners tell me that it robs the sound of dynamics, which is not what people say about the Mat on other tables. Anyway, I love the way my Rega sounds and have stuck with the stock mat. May get some sort of anti-static product in time however.

I never realised there was a "right" and "wrong" way to put the mat on! Both sides look the same to me.

Sounds crazy I know - but it really does make a difference with the LP12 Linn standard mat (which is still the best for this turntable IMO). Once you determine the 'correct' side it is worth making a small chalk mark as a reminder of which side is the correct one. :crazy:

Edited by sidewinder

Sounds crazy I know - but it really does make a difference with the LP12 Linn standard mat (which is still the best for this turntable IMO). Once you determine the 'correct' side it is worth making a small chalk mark as a reminder of which side is the correct one. :crazy:

What's the harm of a big chalk mark saying 'THIS SIDE DOWN'?

MG

I love Herbie's Audio Lab isolation products. Haven't tried the Mat because several Rega owners tell me that it robs the sound of dynamics, which is not what people say about the Mat on other tables. Anyway, I love the way my Rega sounds and have stuck with the stock mat. May get some sort of anti-static product in time however.

I have the Herbie's mat. I was very surprised at the change in sound. I'm not one for the hocus pocus, but the first LP I played with the new mat was Coltrane Ballads and the bass, air, realism what have you was astonishing. Now I'm completely accustomed to it of course, but the difference wasn't marginal, even for me.

I don't doubt that. I don't know what table you're using, but I've had two people tell me it robs the Rega RP3 of dynamics. . . and I have a Rega RP3 and love the dynamics. So I'm leary.

And Herbie's aren't necessarily going to say the mats aren't as compatible with Rega's.

I believe you. I just have a Debut III. Nothing great.