• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

crime_eichenberg1.jpeg

CRIME AND PUNISHMENT - Fyodor Dostoevsky

In the oft-maligned Constance Garnett translation, which I rather like actually. I read this in college, when I found it fiercely compelling. This time around, I was less enthralled, even recognizing its many masterful moments. I recall my Russian teacher in college, in response to my enthusiasm for Dostoevsky, telling me that as one gets older, one tends to become more of a Tolstoyan, and I think that has been right, at least in my case. I'm sure that's not the case for everyone. BTW, does anyone else find the Epilogue weak and maybe even unnecessary (most are)?

1 hour ago, Leeway said:

CRIME AND PUNISHMENT - Fyodor Dostoevsky

In the oft-maligned Constance Garnett translation, which I rather like actually. I read this in college, when I found it fiercely compelling. This time around, I was less enthralled, even recognizing its many masterful moments. I recall my Russian teacher in college, in response to my enthusiasm for Dostoevsky, telling me that as one gets older, one tends to become more of a Tolstoyan, and I think that has been right, at least in my case. I'm sure that's not the case for everyone. BTW, does anyone else find the Epilogue weak and maybe even unnecessary (most are)?

That is certainly a truism, but not true in my case.  I still rate Dostoevsky and also Turgenev above Tolstoy.  Demons is definitely an under-rated novel in my opinion.

I didn't mind the Garnett translation of Crime and Punishment but didn't have much to compare to (in my teens).  I will be tackling Crime and Punishment in the P&V translation (and probably comparing to Garnett) in a year or so.  I don't remember the epilogue, but I'm looking forward to it.

The_Sense_of_an_Ending.jpg

Highly popular fiction in the UK nowadays, less so with me. Readable all the same.

Highly popular fiction in the UK nowadays, less so with me. Readable all the same.

Aaargh! The Curse of the Double Post strikes again!

5 hours ago, BillF said:

Aaargh! The Curse of the Double Post strikes again!

It won the Man Booker, but I was very disappointed. Not much there, to my mind.

Still working through Darwin's The Voyage of the Beagle, but it is pretty slow going.

I'm also reading Brigid Brophy's In Transit, about a traveler stuck in an airport.  Like O'Brien's Night, it is another book clearly inspired by Joyce and other High Modernists.  It tries to dabble in absurdity, perhaps a bit like Flann O'Brien, but it tries too hard.  There is a 10 page section where the narrator forgets what sex he/she is, which doesn't work at all.  I suppose I might change my mind, but for the moment it is not recommended.

9781441817402.jpg?_ex=200x200&s=2&r=1

Steve Hamilton: A Cold Day in Paradise

There have been a couple of articles in the papers recently about his problems with his former publisher and his new novel. A good friend sent me a link to a WSJ article and mentioned that he had some contact with Mr. Hamilton when they were both technical writers for IBM. I decided to read his first novel and it's generic, but well written generic. I'll try another at some point in time.

51 minutes ago, Leeway said:

51MA7HdQM9L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Rediscovering Solzhenitsyn after a long gap in time. It's hard to recall just what a towering presence he was in the 60s and 70s. 

Brief but fascinating. I remember that one well. Then I went on to The First Circle.

56 minutes ago, Leeway said:

I'm on First Circle now. Back in the day, I read Gulag Archipelago, which left a strong impression on me. 

Never got round to that one. First Circle remains strong in my memory. The horrors of Stalin's Russia hold a dreadful fascination for me, so I can't resist Arthur Koestler's Darkness at Noon, Victor Serge's The Case of Comrade Tulayev and, much more recently, Julian Barnes's The Noise of Time.

Almost finished with this excellent account of the life and trials, literal and figurative, of  Radclyffe Hall, author of the pioneering lesbian novel "The Well of Loneliness." Quite apart (or almost quite apart) from her sexual orientation, Radclyffe Hall  is among the most seriously batshit people I've ever read about -- victim of some of most vicious parenting imaginable (mostly on the part of an utterly narcissistic self-indulgent mother who loathed her daughter's father (a philandering bounder, as they used to say, who left his wife's company ASAP), while she regarded all of her daughter's nascent traits of character and physicality as stemming directly from her husband, whom again she loathed. Throw into the mix the fact that Hall's father died when she was in late adolescence, leaving his large-ish estate almost entirely to her, which gave RH the chance to turns the tables financially and emotionally on her needy/extravagant mom, for whom she was now virtually the sole source of support. And that's only a wee bit of the setup. The author, Diana Souhami, has a nice dry wit, which is much needed at times to fend of the atmosphere of RH's proliferating professional victimhood -- not that she and her book (which was of minor literary merit but an immediate best-seller) weren't on the receiving of treatment by the British government that might stir the gene of victimhood in almost anyone (it was banned in  the mid-1920s in a "sentence first--verdict afterwards" court proceeding that it would be an insult to call arbitrary).

41AZ8GXB4YL._AC_US160_.jpg

51EnKWJDUOL._AC_US160_.jpg

the-sympathizer-paperback.jpg?w=192&h=30

The impact of the Vietnam War starting from the fall of Saigon as seen through the eyes of a South Vietnamese intelligence officer who is actually a communist mole. Really makes you realise how the Film/Novel depictions of Vietnam have been largely portrayed as America's tragedy. 

4 hours ago, BillF said:

Still continuing with Bellow. One I never read back then. Just finished this Penguin edition.

mr-sammlers-planet-saul-bellow-en-ingles

Contains one of the, if not the, most notorious scene in Bellow's fiction:  the scene in which Sammler is attacked by a black mugger who presents his genitals to Sammler in a show of power. Bellow's take on the collapse of civilization in late 1960s New York City.  

48 minutes ago, Leeway said:

Contains one of the, if not the, most notorious scene in Bellow's fiction:  the scene in which Sammler is attacked by a black mugger who presents his genitals to Sammler in a show of power. Bellow's take on the collapse of civilization in late 1960s New York City.  

I agree that it's a novel from another age with that age's attitudes and values - and yet an age in which I was already quite a seasoned reader, so for me reading/rereading this stuff is something of a personal journey.

1456402842-zero-k-english-cover.jpg

DeLillo's latest. Certainly not an achievement like Underworld, White Noise, Libra or Mao II, but at least I kept reading, which I couldn't say for Falling Man. It's inspired me sufficiently to order up a copy of Point Omega from the public library.