Now reading...

I forced myself to finish A Study in Scarlet last night. What a chore, and what a bore. It didn't help that the last book I read was a Louis L'Amour novel; Doyle's description of the American West, and the people who lived there is atrocious. The idea that a westerner of that time would leave camp on a hunting trip and get lost because he wasn't watching his backtrail is something only a city dweller could come up with. And the idea of building a big, huge fire in the middle of nowhere, thereby attracting god-knows-who is absurd.

Oh, well; it's the short stories I remember fondly anyway. That and the Hound of the Baskervilles. I won't give up on my revisit to Holmes yet, but this was a bad first step.

That's not encouraging! I'll probably move it further down the queue.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just re-read Conrad's 'Heart of Darkness' - I last read it around 1973 and didn't really get it. Still not an easy read but very powerful.

Has led me to:

51C0X5YAHDL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Excellent book!!!

Just finished this - excellent indeed.

With a walk-on role by Conan Doyle who supported the protest movement against Leopold's Congo (whilst being a defender of British colonialism).

Interesting to read of Sir Roger Casement's role - I know him only for his part in the Easter Rising. Though I've come across mention of of his humanitarian work before I'd not realised how extensive it was.

On my recently-completed holiday:

Finished the Anthony Burgess autobiography "Little Wilson And Big God"

Then on to Norman Mailer's "The Fight"

Finishing with George Orwell's "1984". I read this as a teenager in 1984. Reading it last week I had absolutely no recollection of ever having read it before.

Just finished Watchmen, and really enjoyed it.

Started Moby Dick yesterday, and I'm completely digging it. I've even laughed out loud a couple times. It's been one of those books on my list to read, but never have, and I'm not getting any younger. I was worried it would take forever to read, but I feel like I'm going to plow through it. I guess we'll see! I'll let you know when I finish it.

Also reading The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

Reading The Hobbit to my kids, and Kidnapped to my 10-year-old.

Finished the Anthony Burgess autobiography "Little Wilson And Big God"

Nice bit of reading with local interest, Richard!

Yes Bill, always good to read about your home town through the experiences of others, especially one as interesting as Anthony Burgess. Interesting reading of Moss Side as an affluent district, given the reputation it's had for years (also, to a lesser extent, Fallowfield).

I read "A Clockwork Orange" again recently. Reading the autobiography, you could tell Burgess had an impressive grasp of languages, which is obviously how he was able to invent "Nadsat".

Edited by rdavenport

Deaf Sentence - a novel by David Lodge. Plot concerns a retired professor who is slowly going deaf, then explores several other tangents. Reading it made me more aware of taking care of my hearing.

I always like David Lodge's stuff and was pleased to read this recent one.

Couple of authors were recently recommended to me:

Henning Mankell, who writes popular Swedish detective stories. I've read some (Kurt Wallender series, in English), and they're pretty good, though I prefer the full-length novels to the precursor (though subsequently written) novellas.

I'm trying to track down Larry Devlin's Chief of Station, Congo, may be able to borrow a copy this weekend.

I forced myself to finish A Study in Scarlet last night. What a chore, and what a bore. It didn't help that the last book I read was a Louis L'Amour novel; Doyle's description of the American West, and the people who lived there is atrocious. The idea that a westerner of that time would leave camp on a hunting trip and get lost because he wasn't watching his backtrail is something only a city dweller could come up with. And the idea of building a big, huge fire in the middle of nowhere, thereby attracting god-knows-who is absurd.

Oh, well; it's the short stories I remember fondly anyway. That and the Hound of the Baskervilles. I won't give up on my revisit to Holmes yet, but this was a bad first step.

That's not encouraging! I'll probably move it further down the queue.

Looks like my complaint (thankfully!) only applies to that one book. I was going to stick to a chronological reading, but decided to skip The Sign of Four and jump into Adventures to get to the short stories. Excellent stuff, and the added nostalgia factor this time around is a bonus as well.

The only problem is, I remember what started me smoking now. I keep visiting pipe websites... :ph34r:

Serendipity: I found a pile of books left for trash in Hastings, NY yesterday. Hope to get to all, as all seem interesting. Titles: Saints and Strangers (George F. Williston---should I know him?); Managing Your Mind Through Food and Thought; The Ritz on the Bayou (Nancy Lehmann); Black Hamlet (Wulf Sachs, a 1947 edition. I've heard of neither author nor book); The Jew of Rome (Lion Feuchtwanger. Publishing date: 1936); The Secret Life of Dogs (David Sipress. A Steve Gross-like comedy cartoon book).

Will report back..........

Edited by fasstrack

Looks like my complaint (thankfully!) only applies to that one book. I was going to stick to a chronological reading, but decided to skip The Sign of Four and jump into Adventures to get to the short stories. Excellent stuff, and the added nostalgia factor this time around is a bonus as well.

I'm reading Study in Scarlet now, having started with The Adventures .... I think Holmes is ideally suited to the short story form and that Doyle hadn't yet fully found his way when he wrote Study.

I agree. The pacing of Study is horrible, whereas the pacing of the short stories is excellent. On the other hand, assuming I'm remembering the Hound novel correctly (it's been decades, so maybe not), he could use the longer form as well. I think you're right in that he just hadn't found his way yet.

• 2 weeks later...