More Tubbs

RogerF

Proper Music released on 25 February 2013 a new Tubby Hayes box set, Little Giant Steps which includes in addition to tracks from the Tempo Tubby's Groove recordings, the first six Tubbs albums recorded for Fontana [Tubbs, Tubbs in NY, Equation in Rhythm, Down in the Village, Late Spot at Scott's, Return Visit plus the three Tubbs tracks on Palladium Jazz Date (the album shared with Cleo Laine). Most of these recordings excepting the Tubby’s Groove and Palladium ones are in stereo and have been unavailable for quite a while. This four CD box set is enhanced by liner notes by Tubbs expert and author, Simon Spillett. Full details from the Proper Music website here:

http://www.propermus...teps-4CD-148786

Edited by RogerF

Same here, though all on CD ("Tubby's Groove" on Avid, "Return Visit" as part of the big Kirk box, the rest from ReDial and Impressed/Repressed). Only missing those Cleo Laine tracks ... but I'd also be interested in the liner notes!

And obviously this box is musically excellent! Great chance for anyone who slept on Tubbs ... a load of his very best music in one place and for a ridiculous price.

I also see a Tubbs complete Tempo on 6 CDs listed at a very reasonable price.

Since I did some comparing for a friend already:

CD1 & CD2: contained entirely in the first Proper set

CD3 #1-9: contained on "Jazz Genius: The Flamingo Era" (3CD), cheapo set, too, also on a previous Acrobat "Some Of My Best Friends Are Blues", #1-5 also on a Jasmine disc billed to the Jazz Couriers, "The First & Last Words".

CD3 #10-CD4 #5: "Jazz Couriers in Concert": contained on the same Acrobat disc just mentioned, as well as the Tubbs Avid 2CD set, and also previously available from Fresh Sound on its own, too

CD4 #6-8: contained on a Jasmine disc also containing "Tubb's Groove" (adding an alternate and two takes of a blues, all not available elsewhere, not in the Propers either). That Jasmine disc is titled "The Eighth Wonder", and I don't yet have it ...

CD4 #9-CD5 #2: "The Couriers of Jazz" - also on the Avid set

CD5 #3-16: "London Jazz Quartet", rather smooth stuff, not that much jazz content, part of the Flamingo 3CD set

CD5 #17-CD6 #3: another Jazz Couriers album, contained on the "First and Last Words" disc

CD6 #4-9: "Tubby's Groove" - opening the new Proper disc, also on the Avid set, and (with the three bonus tracks) on that Jasmine Tubby World Wonder disc.

The Flamingo 3CD set might be the better/cheaper option for those who have the first Proper set, I guess (not sure I really caught all that's on it in the listing above, but it's fairly easy to find out by comparing tracklistings).

I added no links, as I assume all of those discs, Acrobat, Proper, Jasmine and whatever weirdo label put out the Flamingo (there's a thread about that set somewhere here, I think!) are PD labels and hence links would be an infringement of the first amendment or some such ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Been listening to the new Acrobat 6CD "Complete Tempo 55-59" - very happy with the SQ - wonder where they sourced this from (Jasmine CDs, 1st Proper box)?

This is "Hard Bop" of the highest standard - hadn't heard any of this material before - what a revelation!!

Simon Spillett's notes are a real bonus - best of luck with his upcoming book

Of interest is the fate of the Tempo master tapes - according to Simon they were "disposed of" in the early 60's when Decca junked the Tempo imprint

Some of the material had been licenced to Ember (live Dominion 58) who retained the masters

In the 80's the Tempo catalogue was reissued by Jasmine who dubbed original vinyl (similarly for the later CD reissues)

Not sure how legitimate this set is - there is no mention of remastering details etc - Does Acrobat do their own "ripping"/remastering - like Avid?

this is all we have "This compilation ® & © 2012 Acrobat Licensing" (that circled R should be a P)

Still, its great to have all of this material together in one lot (luckily I hadn't previously purchased any of this material on individual CDs)

• 1 month later...

The Booklet is the only thing that looks okay - at least they used thicker than 80g paper ... the jewel case (one of the old jumbo ones with double trays in the front and back flaps) is one of the flimsy ones, too (I never got that: why are we not able to get good quality jewel cases? all those empty cases being sold are usually trash! and this is one of them, too ...)

The feeble printing on the CDs gave it away already, but the other side has a slightly green-ish touch.

Looks like a well made but home made thing to me, I'm sorry to say.

So, for me it's clear, I might eventually get Wonder #8 and I might get Proper #2 for that half/shared album -- but other than that I'll stick to the cheapo stuff I've already got (Flamingo, Avid, Jasmine, Proper #1, and one by Acrobat, too). There I'm at least pretty sure they're all factory-made CDs.

• 6 months later...

94862-200x200.jpg?bee302

Another really excellent one from Acrobat - 2CDs of rare BBC radio broadcasts from Tubby with a variety of groups including the Jazz Couriers (plus Dizzy Reece on one track and Jeff Clyne on bass for the later sessions by this group), the Quartet, Jimmy Deuchar Ten-Piece and a rare US Voice of America broadcast with Walter Bishop Jrs' Trio. As per usual with the Acrobat reissues, stellar booklet notes from Simon Spillett.

Audio quality is suprisingly good, bearing in mind that most of these were recorded by enthusiasts from the radio to reel-to-reel. A very valuable reissue of Hayes at or near his peak.

Edited by sidewinder