Randy Weston & Billy Harper: The Roots of the Blues

mjzee

• 2 weeks later...

It's good! Got to spin it again very soon, but the first couple of spins were most enjoyable! There's a remark I caught in the notes (which I've not yet read in full) about the "low end theory" that Weston and Harper share - makes lots of sense to me ... there's a constant low rumble to this, even when it's quiet on the surface, there's much force and power hidden beneath, kept in reserve, it seems. I like that! And as one not too well-versed in Harper's discography, it's great to have some recent stuff of his, his tone is gorgeous here! Somehow this album reminds me of old singers and how they (take Sheila Jordan for a prime example) can do almost whatever they want, how they can losen up and pull stuff that would just sould weird or even wrong with a younger voice ...

Already out here in France

Are you now living in France? Your location still says Singapore. Just curious :)

Thank you for asking. No, still living in Singapore but in Paris for a month-long stay, mostly holiday. We only have another week to go now, though. We scheduled the dates for convenience but have been very lucky regarding exhibitions and also some decent concerts.