Impulse Coltrane on SHM-CD (Universal Japan)

erwbol

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a complete (?) list of the 2011 UCCI SHM-CDs on Impulse! — not just Coltrane titles, but others as well:

UCCI 1015/6(2SHM CD) Coltrane,John(ts)/Live At Temple University 3200 (cancelled)

UCCI 9191/5(5SHM CD) Coltrane,John(ts)/Live In Japan 7500

UCCI 9196/7(2SHM CD) Coltrane,John(ts)/Ballads 3000

UCCI 9198/9(2SHM CD) Coltrane,John(ts)/A Love Supreme 3000

UCCI 9200/1(2SHM CD) Coltrane,John(ts)/Coltrane 3000

UCCI 9202(SHM CD) Coltrane,John(ts)/Transition 1800

UCCI 9203(SHM CD) Coltrane,John(ts)/Living Space 1800

UCCI 9204(SHM CD) Coltrane,John(ts)/Sun Ship 1800

UCCI 9205(SHM CD) Coltrane,John(ts)/First Meditations 1800

UCCI 9206/7(2SHM CD) Coltrane,John(ts)/Live In Seattle 3000

UCCI 9208(SHM CD) Coltrane,John(ts)/OM 1800

UCCI 9209(SHM CD) Coltrane,John(ts)/Meditations 1800

UCCI 9210(SHM CD) Coltrane,John(ts)/Cosmic Music 1800

UCCI 9211(SHM CD) Coltrane,John(ts)/Jupiter Variation 1800

UCCI 9212(SHM CD) Coltrane,John(ts)/Stellar Regions 1800

UCCI 9213(SHM CD) Coltrane,John(ts)/Interstellar Space 1800

UCCI 9214(SHM CD) Coltrane,John(ts)/The Olatunji Concert 1800

UCCI 9216(SHM CD) Roach,Max(ds)/Percussion Bitter Sweet 1800

UCCI 9217(SHM CD) Fuller,Curtis(tb)/Soul Trombone 1800

UCCI 9218(SHM CD) Haynes,Roy(ds)/Out of The Afternoon 1800

UCCI 9219(SHM CD) Alexandria,Lorez(vo)/The Great 1800

UCCI 9220(SHM CD) Tyner,McCoy(p)/Today And Tomorrow 1800

UCCI 9221(SHM CD) Szabo,Gabor(g)/Gypsy '66 1800

UCCI 9222(SHM CD) Nelson,Oliver(as)/Sound Pieces 1800

UCCI 9223(SHM CD) Scott,Shirley(org)/Girl Talk 1800

UCCI 9224(SHM CD) Shepp,Archie(ts)/The Magic of Ju-Ju 1800

UCCI 9225(SHM CD) Sanders,Pharoah(ts)/Karma 1800

UCCI 9226(SHM CD) Jackson,Milt(vib)& Ray Brown(b)/Memphis Jackson 1800

UCCI 9227(SHM CD) Jamal,Ahmad(p)/The Awakening 1800

UCCI 9228(SHM CD) White,Michael(vn)/Spirit Dance 1800

UCCI 9229(SHM CD) Coltrane,Alice(p)/World Galaxy 1800

UCCI 9230(SHM CD) Shepp,Archie(ts)/Attica Blues 1800

UCCI 9231(SHM CD) Barbieri,Gato(ts)/Chapter One:Latin America 1800

UCCI 9232(SHM CD) Sanders,Pharoah(ts)/Love In Us All 1800

UCCI 9233(SHM CD) Brown,Marion(as)/Vista 1800

UCCI 9234(SHM CD) Lateef,Yusef(ts)/Club Date 1800

I wonder why the Temple University title was cancelled. Anyone here read anything about it?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I ordered the Archie Shepp from a French seller called .... It did not come cheap.

This morning I filed a PayPal claim against Jazzybird. The registered package never shipped, and the seller failed to respond to my emails.

I would normally not have mentioned this, however, I posted a link to this seller's website on 5 May. This morning I edited out the link and seller's name, but the link had been up for 16 days.

• 2 weeks later...

It is a Japanese repressing of the 2008 US Originals remaster. I verified this by making a secure rip and comparing CRC32 hash codes.

Of course if you are of the opinion that the Super High Material (SHM) produces a difference in sound quality, it might sound different to you. It did not to me on my Sennheiser HD650 headphones system.

I would advise against purchasing that disc. The reason a lot of SHMs sound good are the new masterings. SHMs that copy US masterings are only of interest to people who are convinced they can hear the difference on their high end system.

Edited by erwbol

Well I guess I didn't compare them directly. Sounded different to me from my memory of the US,* anyway of the digital copies I have this one is my favorite. I do NOT listen on headphones, just abhor that.

*I'd have to look closely at release dates, and I'm not inclined at the moment, but it may be more accurate to say that the US release is a copy of a Japanese release a bit earlier; I have several other Japanese releases that seem to have their Reeves masterings "borrowed" for the US version.

Edited by jazzbo

*I'd have to look closely at release dates, and I'm not inclined at the moment, but it may be more accurate to say that the US release is a copy of a Japanese release a bit earlier; I have several other Japanese releases that seem to have their Reeves masterings "borrowed" for the US version.

That could be so, Lon.

What other way is there for the Japanese to use the original master tapes? Perhaps these late Coltrane SHMs from October 2011 were mastered in the US for the Japanese market like the Prestige 7000 SHMs?

Edited by erwbol

More likely they were mastered in Japan from the tapes sent by Reeves for the 24-bit reissues that appeared in Japan (I have a few in lp-facsimile edition, don't know if they were ever in jewel box) earlier than 2011, before the Impulse Album boxes were released. . . .Or that would be my guess.

Anyway, not knowing if the Japanese tweak things for SHM-CD mastering or just do a straight transfer to the SHM-CD process, I DO find that I hear differences between SHM-CD and other pressings. Maybe it's system dependent (I have a killer transport) or maybe it's just my imagining, but more often than not there's a "less digital" sound to the SHM-CD in cmparison for me.

Edited by jazzbo

Maybe it's system dependent (I have a killer transport) or maybe it's just my imagining, but more often than not there's a "less digital" sound to the SHM-CD in cmparison for me.

i agree - i notice it as well... (another patient for the placebo?)

Edited by etherbored