Barry Guy, LJCO, New Orchestra etc etc etc

A Lark Ascending

Surprised to find no thread about Barry Guy and his many projects.

I'm no expert - though I seem to have rather a lot of recordings - so would be interested in people's thoughts.

I just love the sound he gets on bass; and the way he balances light-touch composition and improvisation in his larger pieces. Listening to a BBC broadcast of 'Portraits' on a drive back from London in the late 90s opened my ears up to a whole world of music I'd previously only dabbled with.

What a bassist. What a composer.

Have quite a few of his LPs and CDs, and have always enjoyed seeing him live when the opportunity arises.

The solo LP on Incus is really strong; I've got a copy with an Alan Davie print as the cover (housed in a nice hand-assembled jacket), as well as the regular Incus LP. The former was purchased as part of a Maya fundraising campaign and I was glad to contribute. Guy's dedication to visual art and his broad-mindedness make his work extra appealing.

Interesting interview here:

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=39526#.U0t4w1VdWa8

This record sneaked out quietly last year:

514HI6ngAYL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

A framework of early music, Biber and Kurtag with improvisations interspersed. Very beautiful.

His baroque discography is pretty impressive:

1974, Monteverdi - Vespers 1610, Decca Set 593-4 (Vinyl) The Monteverdi Choir and Orchestra, John Eliot Gardiner
1977, H.Purcell,Music for Queen Mary , Erato STU 70911 The Monteverdi Choir and Orchestra, John Eliot Gardiner
1978, G.F. Handel, The Water Music, L’Oiseau-Lyre / Decca DSLO-543 (Vinyl), The Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood
1978, F.J. Haydn, Missa Sancti Nicolai, Missa Brevis, L’Oiseau-Lyre / Decca DSLO-538 (Vinyl) The Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood
1979, G.F. Handel, The Ways of Zion do Mourn, Erato STU 71173, The Monteverdi Choir and Orchestra, John Eliot Gardiner
1979, J.P. Rameau, La Danse, Erato STU 71089 The Monteverdi Choir and Orchestra, John Eliot Gardiner
1980, G.F. Handel, Utrecht Te Deum / Jubilate, L’Oiseau-Lyre / Decca DSLO-582 (Vinyl) The Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood
1980, Music of the “Chapels Royal” Erato STU 71276 The Monteverdi Choir and Orchestra, John Eliot Gardiner
1980, H.Purcell, The Indian Queen, Erato STU 71275 The Monteverdi Choir and Orchestra, John Eliot Gardiner
1980, G.F. Handel, Alceste , L’Oiseau-Lyre / Decca DSLO-581 (Vinyl), The Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood
1980, F.J. Haydn, Missa Sanctae Caeciliae, L’Oiseau-Lyre / Decca DSLO-583-4 (Vinyl) The Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood
1981, G.F. Handel, The Musick For The Royal Fireworks, L’Oiseau-Lyre / Decca DSLO-548 (Vinyl) The Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood
1981, Pachelbel Canon, L’Oiseau-Lyre / Decca DSLO-594 (Vinyl), The Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood
1981, A.Vivaldi, L’Estro Armonico Op 3, L’Oiseau-Lyre / D245D2 (Vinyl), The Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood
1982, G. Muffat, Florilegium Secundum , L’Oiseau-Lyre / Decca DSLO-591 (Vinyl) The Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood
1982, G.F. Handel, La Resurrezione, L’Oiseau-Lyre / Decca 421 132-2, The Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood
1982, Mozart, Symphonies, L’Oiseau-Lyre / Decca D167D3 to D173D3 (Vinyl) The Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood
1983, F.J. Haydn, Cello Concertos, L’Oiseau-Lyre / Decca DSDL 711, The Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood
1983, A.Vivaldi, 12 Concertos Op 8, L’Oiseau-Lyre / D279D2 (Vinyl), The Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood
1983, A.Vivaldi, Le Quattro Stagioni (The Four Seasons), L’Oiseau-Lyre / Decca 410126-1 (Vinyl) The Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood
1984, W.A. Mozart, Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, L’Oiseau-Lyre / Decca, 411 720-2, Salomon Quartet / The Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood
1984, W.A. Mozart, Exsultate Jubilate, L’Oiseau-Lyre / Decca 411 832-1, The Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood
1984, W.A. Mozart, Requiem, L’Oiseau-Lyre / Decca 411 712-1 (Vinyl), The Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood
1984, Johann Theile, Matthäus Passion, Harmonia Mundi HMA1951159, London Baroque
1985, G.F. Handel, Esther, L’Oiseau-Lyre / Decca 414423-2CD, 414423-1 (Vinyl), The Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood
1987, J.S.Bach, Coffee Cantata/Peasant Cantata, L’Oiseau-Lyre / Decca, 417 621-2, The Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood
1988, J.S.Bach, Orchestral Suites BWV1066-1069, L’Oiseau-Lyre / Decca, 417 834-2, The Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood
1987-1989, Beethoven, 9 Symphonies, EMI 7498522, The London Classical Players, Roger Norrington
1983-1989, Beethoven, The Symphonies, L’Oiseau-Lyre / Decca 452 551-2, The Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood
1990, Haydn Symphonies Volune 4, L’Oiseau-Lyre / Decca 430 082-2, The Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood
1990, J.S.Bach, F. Schubert, Octet in F major, L’Oiseau-Lyre / Decca, 425 519-2, The Academy of Ancient Music Chamber Ensemble
1992, Haydn Symphonies Volume 3, L’Oiseau-Lyre / Decca 433 661-2, The Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood
1992, Haydn Symphonies Volume 5, L’Oiseau-Lyre / Decca 433 012-2, The Academy of Ancient Music, Christopher Hogwood
1994, L.V. Beethoven / C.M.v. Weber, Septet /Clarinet Quintet, L’Oiseau-Lyre / Decca 433 044-2, The Academy of Ancient Music Chamber Ensemble
2006, Biber Mystery Sonatas, Maya MCD 0603, Maya Homburger with Camerata Kilkenny
2009, J.S. Bach, Cantatas BWV186,107,187, Soli Deo Gloria SDG156, The English Baroque Soloists, John Eliot Gardiner
2009, J.S. Bach, Cantatas BWV148,114,47,226, Soli Deo Gloria SDG159, The English Baroque Soloists, John Eliot Gardiner
2009, J.S. Bach, Cantatas BWV61,62,36, Soli Deo Gloria SDG162, The English Baroque Soloists, John Eliot Gardiner
2010, J.S. Bach, Cantatas BWV21,135,1044, Soli Deo Gloria SDG165, The English Baroque Soloists, John Eliot Gardiner

• 1 month later...

Yes. I was at yesterday's. solos, duos, trios, quartets and then the Orchestra playing an Evan P piece.

Wish I could be there now for the two orchestra pieces from the recent CD but circumstances dictate otherwise

Edited by mjazzg

Tempted to take off work and fly there

Despite Gustsfsson not being there - but Trevor Watts live for the first time would be quite the treat.

Never seen either Guy large band. Number one musical dream

Trevor Watts does get to the States occasionally. I've seen him twice in Baltimore, IIRC, in the last 3 or 4 years, once with Veryan Weston.

Tempted to take off work and fly there

Despite Gustsfsson not being there - but Trevor Watts live for the first time would be quite the treat.

Never seen either Guy large band. Number one musical dream

Trevor Watts does get to the States occasionally. I've seen him twice in Baltimore, IIRC, in the last 3 or 4 years, once with Veryan Weston.

Watts was unable to play last night and I think for the whole three days. I don't know a reason

There are decades of rivalries, frictions, and feelings behind Trevor's reactions I'm sure, and something small like this might have set off a spark.

So what is Mats' reason?

My hope is that simply Mats was booked somewhere else as he is a very busy guy. As we know he was in the States just last week.

There are decades of rivalries, frictions, and feelings behind Trevor's reactions I'm sure, and something small like this might have set off a spark.

So what is Mats' reason?

My hope is that simply Mats was booked somewhere else as he is a very busy guy. As we know he was in the States just last week.

Could be. I'm not making any assumptions. It's just that Watts and Gustafsson are bracketed in the same terse announcement, "NB: Trevor Watts and Mats Gustfsson are no longer appearing at this event." no explanation given, which sort of invites speculation. Normally those announcements try to paper over any problems, e.g., "So and So can't appear due to illness/prior commitments/travel difficulties, etc etc." Nothing like that here. I like both of these guys, so it's unfortunate.

Mats said he was flying back to Europe that night or the next day following the Philly concert.

I'm still intrigued to know the source of the Watts 'alleged'hissy fit. As I'd a ticket I'd not looked at the Oto website in days so hadn't seen any announcement but was told by a fellow audience member he was unavailable, no reason was circulating on the night that I heard.

I can imagine there's many different reasons why Gustaffson wasn't available - hell, he travels so much I'm surprised he's the energy to fulfil half the commitments he does. I'm not worrying about Tarfala yet, Steve

Edited by mjazzg

I'm still intrigued to know the source of the Watts 'alleged'hissy fit. As I'd a ticket I'd not looked at the Oto website in days so hadn't seen any announcement but was told by a fellow audience member he was unavailable, no reason was circulating on the night that I heard.

I can imagine there's many different reasons why Gustaffson wasn't available - hell, he travels so much I'm surprised he's the nergy to fulfuil half the commitments he does. I'm not worrying about Tarfala yet, steve

One day I'm seeing the music this thread is all about.

I'm posting this so I do something to make what I'm saying a reality.

I can imagine there's many different reasons why Gustaffson wasn't available - hell, he travels so much I'm surprised he's the energy to fulfil half the commitments he does. I'm not worrying about Tarfala yet, Steve

Facebook. I am FB 'friends' with Watts.

He was VERY public about this.