bLiNdFoLd TeSt #7 - discussion

If track 4 is Zorn, I don't have it in my collection. Go figure. I need to go into seclusion and do nothing all day but listen.  :wacko:

Is that what they make you do over there? :P I think Zorn and seclusion together might be something that went away after the wall. He's really playing against his sur-name here. Should I say that it is and he's elsewheres here too. I guess you'll now be able to google up and answer. ps: couw's onto #3 (but it's discography is un-available) and we know you know #9.

As it stands (and I'm not sure whether keeping tabs is the norm in the FAQ section) you all are onto many of these and have of course nailed quite a few directly. The links you've been throwing up are for the most part the ones.

But mo' hintz:

I think the tracks that need more sleuthing might now stand at 2, 8, 15, 19(one right on this alto player and the trumpeter is white). Many correct answers for the players on trax 5 & 6 (#5 is really a "gas" and #6 is more exotic). And track #7 is one cut from a badly needed re-issue but at least the artist has a website courtesy of board members.;) I have no idea who is on #8 save for the leader who is playing bass (maybe someone in the UK could give it up?). And #2 and #15 are related in maybe "one degree of separation"!

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm, I'll have to go back to some of Zorn's 1980s/early 1990s stuff; I just lost track when he started to get stuck on the same Masada stuff endlessly. Depressing to hear JZ turn the Masada songbook into loud Santana-style rock at Victoriaville last year, for instance. & I found the expanded version of The Big Gundown instructive for the contrast between the abrasive sonic archeology/Frankenstein logic of the original tracks, & the much more conventional "arrangements" offered by the new tracks--they're pleasant enough, but go against the grain of what made the original album so important. -- Playing bop/hard bop he can be quite good--I'm actually surprised people didn't spot him because though he's not associated with playing conventional jazz, he has an immediately identifiable tone (cartoony hard-bop alto)--& while I don't think he handles the changes on the cut you've put on the compilation with fluency, he sounds much better on the modal or blues-based tunes on the Lulu project & the Voodoo project (or on the Masada project for that matter). He sounds really good on "Minor Meeting" (Voodoo) for instance: I've always liked his solo & on the trading fours there. Zorn seems full of ideas on the disc--all his solos have a lot of meat.

And track #7 is one cut from a badly needed re-issue but at least the artist has a website courtesy of board members.;)

DAMN! this one is still on my pile! I can't believe I missed this one! GREAT!!!! (well, not but hey...)

thanks Vint. you've made my day! and thanks you-know-who for providing me with this superb stuff! Now, what *I* want to know: did you take this from a compilation album or the original vinyl?

Ah, I can finally post again! I'm glad I composed this in Word before cutting and pasting...

All right, I’ve waited long enough – it’s time to embarrass myself once again. This may have been the hardest BFT disc for me. I’m not that knowledgeable in this style of jazz and some of the tracks sound almost the same to me. It’s generally a style I enjoy – and this disc makes for a nice sampler – but I have no idea what’s what and who’s who. As usual, without reading anything prior...

1. The more I listen the more I’m digging this chugging, modern-sounding big band groove. Almost reminds me of a cross between Fleetwood Mac’s “Tusk” and some 60’s TV show theme – so could Oliver Nelson have had something to do with it? Don’t think so, but otherwise I’m at a loss for guesses.

2. Again, a “heavy” Big band sound – could it be a drummer’s band? I dunno, but it also has a more modern sound to it.

3. This almost sounds familiar, but again not a clue.

4. Monk tune? Again, it sounds familiar, but the context is different from what I’m used to. Where the big band – heck, this is “just” a small ensemble. ;)

5. Again, this sounds almost like the jazz soundtrack to an old film noir or TV show theme. I like the bari sax sound here – would this be Leo Parker? I have one of his two BN’s and though I haven’t listened for a while this vaguely rings a bell.

6. Again, that atmospheric, noir-ish sound. I really dig it, but I’m not sure if I’d want a whole album like this. If not for the flute, this would almost sound like 60’s Ellington to me. Again, Oliver Nelson as arranger?

7. Me like this! No idea who does what though. Love the contrast between the bari and the vibes. I suppose if I guess Oliver Nelson enough times I’m bound to get one of them right, so let me guess that this is from one of those Nelson-Lem Winchester pairings (though I don’t think they ever worked together in such a large band context).

8. It just dawned on me that one of these tracks – I don’t know which – must come from the soundtrack to The Man With the Golden Arm. ;) It’s not this track, I know, but I just thought of it so it’s going here.

9. I’m sure Sangry and a few others could identify that “bending” sax style with one eye tied behind their back (or something like that), but I have no idea who it is. But it’s pretty neat. If I close my eyes I can almost imagine getting a lap dance by Bettie Page in some smoke-filled 1950’s dive. :D

10. Ah, I know this! It’s uh, Cuban or something like that. Seriously, I like the rhythm but the vocals aren’t doing much for me. Sounds fairly recent. One of those Concord Picante discs perhaps?

11. Hmm, almost the same vibe as the previous track. I like it, but again it’s not something I’d probably take for an entire album. What? It’s over already?

12. I think I know this song, but it’s taken at a much faster tempo than usual. Or I’m just blowing smoke. Is Vint trying to trick us by using more than one track from the same album? ;) I kinda like that weird, almost hesitant piano solo. The sax, meanwhile, doesn’t really go anywhere for me idea-wise.

13. I think I may have this; at least it sounds very familiar. Is that a bandoleon? Astor Piazolla, possibly, but I don’t recall him playing in quite this sort of jazz context. Still, I really dig the sound. Thought for a minute that it was Lovano’s “Viva Caruso” disc, but no.

14. Same deal as #13, though I don’t like this one as much. But there are vibes, so this might be from one of Gary Burton’s Piazolla tribute albums, like this one http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&u...l=Aqfu06jao7180.

15. Very moody. Nice. This sounds like an earlier track slowed way down. Again, my suspicions that some of these tracks come from the same disc or at least the same performers.

16. What more can I say but “nice.” This almost feels like a sampler disc of vaguely Cuban/Argentine moody/mellow and/or big band jazz. Nothing wrong with that of course, but I think I may enjoy this disc more after I learn who the artists are. It’s just not much fun for me to guess at this point since I’m not that well versed in this style/genre. But that doesn’t mean that I’m not liking the music.)

17. Okay. Once again, this has a film soundtrack-y feel to it.

18. Whoa – this one went right by me it was so brief. No idea…

19. More old-fashioned in style – with those Bubber Miley-style mutes – but a fairly recent “recreation” I’d guess. Maybe a Wynton-led thing? I’d like this better if it was a faster, less “draggy” tune.

20. Ah, a nice jaunty vocal to close things out. Did Vint say this was a “bonus track” of sorts? Could be as it certainly is different for this comp. Amusing lyrics given the context. I like this a lot, though the vocalist doesn’t ring any bells and I’m not really that enamored of his voice (in the way that I can’t get enough of, say, Joe Williams). I’m gonna bet that this is the favorite track of some BFT7 listeners. ;)

9. I’m sure Sangry and a few others could identify that “bending” sax style with one eye tied behind their back (or something like that), but I have no idea who it is. But it’s pretty neat. If I close my eyes I can almost imagine getting a lap dance by Bettie Page in some smoke-filled 1950’s dive. :D

Glad you shared that! Would you like to buy a champagne split as well? :wub:

Funny that couw almost pinned this one to another piece from same artist that was a soundtrack to just about what you describe. My hint is that his lips are far more perpetually purced than Betty's.

OK. Here are my comments I typed up as I listened to the disc. I loaded up the test on my new iPod and am digging these sounds at work. I just found out that I am going to be out of a job on April 27th, so this is a good diversion. Heck with productivity. Screw 'em.

Here goes...

1. This reminds me of 'The Art of Noise'. I think they had a take on Dragnet that sounds like this. Similar feel. Cool.

2. Hip! A modern big band with a fun and goofy arrangement.

3. Another big band. The first 3 tunes have a similar feel. Perhaps this is the theme of the disc? Swingin' hip tunes? Has a film music feel to it. Maybe a bit Kentonish.

4. Jerome on alto? Another larger group. Nice!

5. Bari! Nice melody. Still has that hip feel to it. Good.

6. Is this a hip lounge compilation? Loungy sounding big-bands? I imagine myself wearing a smoking jacket, drinking a martini with a hot chick on each arm.

7. I like this tune the best so far, Maybe its the doorknobs. Great trumpet solo.

8. Back to a 'Pink Panther' type feel again. This test fits your moniker, Man with the Golden Arm.

9. What a goofy solo!

10. Latin beat. Good execution, but not my bag. I could do without the vocals.

11. More latin beats. I like this a bit more than the last, but it's nothing I would listen to on a regular basis.

12. Great Sax solo. Another favorite on this collection.

13. Lots of great sax solos on this set! Is that Toots Thielmanns? Excellent.

14. More Toots? I just don't know many harmonica players. Its ok, but I like the previous tracke better.

15. Step into the echo chamber! Nice playing, weird effects.

16. The last few tracks have has strange effects/synths. This one left me a bit cold. Still has that hip feel, though.

17. More synth? Yuck. Don't like the electronics on this one at all.

18. Back to the Film Noir feel. Is this from Lift to the Scaffold?

19. Good. A long track. Cool mute trumpet solo.

20. I like this vocal better than the other. Still not nuts about vocals. Nice way to end the set.

Thanks for the interesting set of tunes, Man with the Golden Arm! Now I can read this thread!

[edited for layout and to add a second hot chick on my other arm while listening to track 6]

Edited by Jim Dye

# 10: I have heard this before, but maybe with a different singer. Somehow I think of Jack Bruce's voice when I hear this .... yes, track 2 on this CD is the original version.

Of course it is this track, not another version - it's weird that I sometimes hear sonic differences to the disc or LP I have in my collection.

Re # 13: I fills me with deep satisfaction that this largely underrated man is judged for being a good player by most participants. I'm talking 'bout the alto sax, of course - he's not the leader, BTW.

I'd only made reference to him in my hints posting a page or so back but alas I had never heard of him or actually paid attention to the fact that he played on many of mike's skin thumping kindred idol's dates.

It's funny that I originally had a latin large group cut in here with a female vocalist and him in the alto spot without even knowing he was on the session. I finally just did an AMG on him and see that he actually recorded on a big bander with Rivers as well.

TRACK 18 - I might be wrong, but the "clattering" sounds sound sampled from the intro of Mingus' "II B.S.".

Anybody else hear this? You know, the intro to the retitled "Haitian Fight Song" thing on MINGUS MINGUS MINGUS MINGUS MINGUS?

Well this track is live as in studio but who knows. This drummer has a knack for pawing those traps as well as some brushing here. And IMO he is the true star of this out 'quartet'.

Back to #2 though...the disc I plucked this from features the same big band covering some raucous Mingus charts. B)

Re # 13: I fills me with deep satisfaction that this largely underrated man is judged for being a good player by most participants. I'm talking 'bout the alto sax, of course - he's not the leader, BTW.

Is (was?) he related to Valerie?

Well since that power of Google provides folks who don't know chit the ability to sound professorial ... I quickly find that you are right on, Jim! (I did preface this whole thing with the caveat that you guys are gonna set me straight. I've just brought in the homework and you guys are grading!

Track 1 and 2 - I have no idea

Track 3 - Do I hear Art Pepper?

Track 4 - I thought this was a nice tune. It almost has an Ellington feel to it. The trumpet could be that of Byrd, but maybe even Jimmy Maxwell or Joe Newman,

Track 5 - Mulligan?

Track 6 - Mancini inspired if not Mancini.

Track 7 - Bobby Hutcherson perhaps? Bari, not sure, so I'll throw out Pepper Adams or Mulligan.

Track 8 - ?

Track 9 - Still drawing a blank.

Track 10 and 11 sound like something of Perez Prado

Track 12 - Liked it, but no good guess.

Track 13 - Dolphyish

Track 14 - Is that a harmonica? If so would it be Toots?

Tracks - 15-18 - Way beyond me.

Thanks VG for the education.

Still fifteen or so of the recipients have yet to respond but maybe that's the norm. Seems that the US postal service took about five days to get these things across the country.

There are plenty of hints. Should there be more?? ^_^ Looks like only six have really been identified within the thread links. Many of the players have been found out with some misplaced to other tunes than the one's they are on.

Waiting for deus62 to get on board. He said he knew a bunch!

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

Is (was?) he related to Valerie?

She is his sister, still active as a piano teacher in New York. She wrote and arranged a number of tunes for the band in which her brother played in the 1960's, and both syblings recorded a couple sessions for Atlantic back then, but his and one they made together remained unissued and were probably destroyed by the 1974 fire in the Atlantic vaults. Only one album of her was released, without him. He obviously passed away in the 1970's or 1980's, but so far I could not find out when or how.

(Edited for discograhical accuracy).

Now how do ya like this sax man, I ask once more, JIM????

Edited by mikeweil