BFT #130 Signup Thread

lipi

It's nearing the middle of the month, and December is a funny one with people disappearing for much of it. I am breaking protocol by putting up this announcement a bit early. Please continue discussing felser's excellent #129! (I am learning tons reading the thread. This will not surprise you once you read the low end of the scale below.)

So. I like old stuff. All the music on this BFT will be pre-WWII, or pre-WWII in style, or heavily pre-WWII influenced. I have learned that there are two categories of people on this board: those who like old stuff and can identify EVERYTHING (you know who you are), and those who are scared of scratchy records and traditional time signatures (or time signatures of any kind, for that matter). I would like to run an experiment to attempt to please (and educate?) both groups.

January's BFT will be normal length, but half of it will be glaringly obvious (we're talking "greatest hits of early jazz") to those of you in the first group. My hope is that you'll shut up and be quiet about that half for most of the month and let the people in the second group guess at these tracks. Meanwhile, you can struggle with the trickier tracks in the other half of the BFT. (You'll behave, won't you? Don't make me pull this forum over and make two discussion threads to avoid spoilers!)

So. Wanna play? If so, please reply here, and, so that I can adjust the ratio appropriately, please rate your knowledge of pre-WWII jazz on this handy scale:

10 - My friends call me "Jelly Roll"

9 - My friends call me "Jeff Crom"

8 - My friends stopped calling, because I keep playing them snippets of Armstrong's Hot Five recordings

6 - I've seen that Ken Burns thing, and don't mind they didn't really go past 1965 or so.

4 - I've seen that Ken Burns thing, and I was annoyed they stopped when the good stuff started happening!

2 - I think Miles Davis was the greatest!

1 - I am offended by your clear hatred towards Miles. Don't you know anyone more modern to make fun of, you moldy fig?!

(Apologies if you like Miles.) (Not very heartfelt ones.) (And, no, I don't really know anyone more modern. I stopped listening in fear. I hear there are some funny saxophone folks playing plastic instruments, but, like, whatever, they actually faced the audience, so they're still not as offensive as Miles.)

If you want dead technology (CD), let me know. Yes, I am aware of the irony of bashing old technology while hyping up ancient jazz. I'm a complex creature full of paradoxes; I am large, I contain multitudes.

That was long. Sorry. I promise the BFT will be shorter. :)

TL;DR: if you want to participate in January, tell me how well you know pre-1945 jazz, and whether you want a CD or download.

DL please.

Though your username is a hint, you forgot to rate yourself on my highly objective scale!

I'll only partake if this BFT comes on an Edison Cylinder...no fancy pants modern CD or download for me...and speaking of which - what in tarnation am I doing on this crazy frikken computer thingy?

Speaking of cylinders, here's a painful video:

I don't know which number I am. I used to watch movies from the period as a girl and in fact that got me acquainted with jazz eventhough I didn't know it was that at the time. I found out decades later, still I don't think I'm really knowledgeable since I just got into exploring while being aware. So I'll be a 1 if you'd like and when that is okay too, but I will definitely like you BFT if you'll have me? A DL please if that is convenient? Thank you, alex.
Kind regards, page

Happy new year! I'll post the BFT in the next day or two. So far I have:

felser (4)

Thom Keith (1)

jeffcrom (9)

mjazzg (1)

Hardbopjazz (shy about rating himself, but I can take a stab based on the username, of course)

Bright Moments (5)

Hot Ptah (also shy)

The Magnificent Goldberg (5)

page (unsure)

Feel free to join the party late, of course. :)

Happy new year! I'll post the BFT in the next day or two. So far I have:

felser (4)

Thom Keith (1)

jeffcrom (9)

mjazzg (1)

Hardbopjazz (shy about rating himself, but I can take a stab based on the username, of course)

Bright Moments (5)

Hot Ptah (also shy)

The Magnificent Goldberg (5)

page (unsure)

Feel free to join the party late, of course. :)

Put me in for a 5. ;)