Miles Davis: The Bootleg Series Vol. 4

BFrank

Well, it's a bootleg series, so containing bootleg material is hardly objectionable in my opinion. I can see arguing about the previously released official material, but the '55 was not released officially before and not in this sound, and the '66 and '67 are more complete and in much better sound than I had before. I may be easy to please but I'm happy to have this just for these reasons. Anyway, I'm looking forward to Vol.5 now. . . !

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the plosin discography lists the 1955 show being released on "Miles Davis" 2cd (Storyville STA 130467).

regarding the 66/67, i don't collect this period of live miles, but a posting on the miles list says: The 1966 Bootleg Series Vol 4 has a slightly longer version of ‘R.J.’ but otherwise the sets look identical.  

another post: "1966-1967 - mono, but big improvement to what I had of these shows (incomplete and much worse quality)". but my guess is that he didn't have the wolfgang's vault versions. i could be wrong about the 66/67 sound qualities, but all the other years on the box have to be the same with some eq tweaking ('remastering').

The '55 material sounds a lot better on the Sony than the JMY I have to me, the same can be said of the "66 and '67 to the version I have, which is not the Wolfgang. So I'm pleased, nice to have these all under one roof, nice to have official releases. I can see why some are against this release, and they are allowed their displeasure, but I've enjoyed every release in this series and hope it continues.

Wonder what will be next? I'm actually hoping for more bootleg "acoustic Miles."

I can see why some are against this release, and they are allowed their displeasure...

thank you, that's all was saying.

here is most of the recent berlin 73 video broadcast. i don't know why they didn't post the whole thing.

and the complete old broadcast

Yeah, okay ... first spin of the first two discs today, the set having finally arrived a day or two ago (what's the point of pre-ordering months ahead if it doesn't get delivered on or shortly after release date?) - anyway, the 1955 set was a pleasant surprise today, though I still don't think it's all that great. The old "Miscellaneous Miles" disc from Jazz Unlimited (that was recycled, together with the same Storyville sublabel's inferior version of the 1960 Zurich concert on the two disc set mentioned above) certainly didn't sound as good - and I'm still convinced those were bootlegs (as for Zurich 1960, get the TCB release, which is sourced from Swiss radio's original tapes as well and sounds gorgeous - even to this non-audiophile a clear improval of the JU release).

I can see all the rants and stuff, I think I contributed some, myself ... but, and it's a big BUT (the good but): having the 1966 and 1967 Newport sets on official CD is terrific! And how did that line go? He who not dig this is a dumbass donkey moron - or some such. These two sets are amazing and at the budget price, they alone should be worth getting this set.

The Dietikon concert was indeed re-aired some years ago (but I think it was in the late 90s, rather than in 2004 - or maybe it was aired twice, who knows). Anyway, I taped it back then and was pretty much hooked (except for Gary Bartz who only seemed to fit in half ot the time).

My main BUT (the bad but now, but it needn't happen) concerning this release is: I really hope it will not cross out entire sets dedicated to both the 1971 and the 1973 tours. I'd be all over either of these, that's for sure! And if they want to do one for 1975 as well, all the better! They could also do another 1969 one, but only dedicated to the fall tour this time (I assume that will not happen, but I still feel that the lost quintet one, while fine, is a somewhat odd compilation of stuff, giving too much room for that spring/summer gig in France, and then adding a set with only acoustic piano ... there's enough good music from the European tour or October/November to fill an entire four disc set, but well ...

in an interview in one of the miles books, miles said that they toured the u.s. after recording either bitches brew or silent way (i think it was bb). he said that columbia should have recorded that band. and in the same book, maybe in the same interview, he stated that hancock recorded all the concerts that he played on, and that's why you don't hear the piano at the beginning of the first tune, because hancock is setting up his recorder.

that's the shit that i'd be clamoring for.

and the keystone korner shows. he played there on at least 2 occasions: 1 week in 1974, and 3 days in 1975. those soundboards exist.

edit: known miles engagments at the keystone korner

February 12-17, 1974
April 16-21, 1974
January 14-16, 1975

Edited by l p

he does. his tapes are the source for all various artists official keystone korner releases, as well as unofficial and unissued. my guess is that the miles estate doesn't want to pay what he is asking for them. it's much easier just to go to the sony and newport vaults. and to the european tv/radio stations, because evidently they don't ask for too much money. the public will buy whatever they release, so why jump through the hoops, and give up serious cash for new material. but that's just a theory.

Losin mentions some gigs around those IASW and BB dates - entries for Feb 25 and Aug 21 1969:

The Quintet resumed its busy schedule of live dates in the spring: Club Baron, New York (January 25-February 16); Duffy's Backstage, Rochester (February 25-March 2); Cellar Door, Washington (March 10-15); Village Gate, New York (April 25-26, May 23-24, and July 29-August 10); Spectrum, Philadelphia (May 11); Plugged Nickel Club, Chicago (June 4-14); Blue Coronet Club, Brooklyn (June 21-29); Morgan State Jazz Festival, Baltimore (June 22); Newport Festival (July 5); Central Park, New York (July 7); Memorial Auditorium, Dallas (July 18); Juan-les-Pins Festival, Antibes (July 25-26); Rutgers University Stadium, New Brunswick (July 27); Sheraton Park Hotel, French Lick (French Lick Jazz Festival) (July 31); The Spectrum, Philadelphia (August 15); Grant Park Theater, Chicago (August 22); Crosley Field, Cincinnati (Ohio Jazz Festival) (August 23).

The Davis Quintet maintained a busy touring schedule during this time: Rutgers University Stadium, New Brunswick (July 27); Village Gate (July 29-August 10); Sheraton Park Hotel, French Lick (French Lick Jazz Festival) (July 31); The Spectrum, Philadelphia (August 15); Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis (August 16); Grant Park Theater, Chicago (August 22); Crosley Field, Cincinnati (Ohio Jazz Festival) (August 23); Shelly's Manne-Hole, Los Angeles (September 9-21).

in October/November, the well-documented tour with the "lost quintet" took place.

Obviously, there would be much more than those european tours, but if that's the stuff they can get and release - fine with me.

Losin mentions some gigs around those IASW and BB dates - entries for Feb 25 and Aug 21 1969:

The Quintet resumed its busy schedule of live dates in the spring: Club Baron, New York (January 25-February 16); Duffy's Backstage, Rochester (February 25-March 2); Cellar Door, Washington (March 10-15); Village Gate, New York (April 25-26, May 23-24, and July 29-August 10); Spectrum, Philadelphia (May 11); Plugged Nickel Club, Chicago (June 4-14); Blue Coronet Club, Brooklyn (June 21-29); Morgan State Jazz Festival, Baltimore (June 22); Newport Festival (July 5); Central Park, New York (July 7); Memorial Auditorium, Dallas (July 18); Juan-les-Pins Festival, Antibes (July 25-26); Rutgers University Stadium, New Brunswick (July 27); Sheraton Park Hotel, French Lick (French Lick Jazz Festival) (July 31); The Spectrum, Philadelphia (August 15); Grant Park Theater, Chicago (August 22); Crosley Field, Cincinnati (Ohio Jazz Festival) (August 23).

The Davis Quintet maintained a busy touring schedule during this time: Rutgers University Stadium, New Brunswick (July 27); Village Gate (July 29-August 10); Sheraton Park Hotel, French Lick (French Lick Jazz Festival) (July 31); The Spectrum, Philadelphia (August 15); Kiel Auditorium, St. Louis (August 16); Grant Park Theater, Chicago (August 22); Crosley Field, Cincinnati (Ohio Jazz Festival) (August 23); Shelly's Manne-Hole, Los Angeles (September 9-21).

in October/November, the well-documented tour with the "lost quintet" took place.

Obviously, there would be much more than those european tours, but if that's the stuff they can get and release - fine with me.

someone helped me find the reference:

miles Autobiography (troupe), page 297 -- 

After we finished In a Silent Way, I took the band out on the road; Wayne, Dave, Chick, and Jack DeJohnette were now my working 
band. Man, I wish this band had been recorded live because it was really a bad motherfucker. l think Chick Corea and a few other people recorded some of our performances live. but Columbia missed out on the whole fucking thing.

the part about herbie recording all the shows is from page 279 of the same book, and is in reference to the circa 1965 group.

the Wayne, Dave, Chick, and Jack DeJohnette group was recorded a lot, including the 69 euro tour.
so my wish for new live material from sony would be the keystone korner tapes.

Edited by l p

Not sure, sorry if I'm asking in a dumb way, but: Keystone Korner is not mentioned by Losin nor in the excerpts you quote from Miles' autobiography (guess I need to buy it ... have read it many moons ago from the library) - so, would you be in for more early 1969 tapes and some ot those might be from Keystone Korner, or would those be other dates?

As for 1969, I keep repeating that I think (fairly) early is over-represented by comparison in the 1969 bootleg set, and I'd really like to get more of the late gigs by the band, but that would mean European concerts again.

I guess though it would be cool to get more US club dates, as the atmosphere must indeed have been rather different (not sure that necessarily means the music is better, but I guess: different).

miles played at the keystone korner on at least these dates:

February 12-17, 1974
April 16-21, 1974
January 14-16, 1975

http://www.plosin.com/milesahead/Query.aspx?q=M&t=0&c1=0&n1=0&v=0&c2=0&c3=0&m=0&e=0&y=0&n2=1&n2v=keystone&c4=0

keystone korner opened in 1972.

i was mistaken about 1969.  there are already plenty of available recordings from all the seasons of that year. 

I was listening to the '66 and '67 sets last night and while the music is great.   I have to confess to being somewhat disappointed in the sound quality....certainly many other official live Miles recordings are more high fidelity than this.

Well, it IS part of the "Bootleg Series."

I was listening to the '66 and '67 sets last night and while the music is great.   I have to confess to being somewhat disappointed in the sound quality....certainly many other official live Miles recordings are more high fidelity than this.

Yes, but the music itself is better than on many of those other live recordings.

Ok you guys do have a point about it being called a "bootleg" series ....on the other hand this is a release by a major label and there is no disclaimer such as major labels often use to say something like "sound quality is marginal here...but we felt this music was important to issue"  nor is the price particularly reflective of bootleg quality music....I mean unlike a lot of music "bootleg" stuff...we are being asked to pay for this.  Listening to the '73 concert right now and again...while the music is great, I can only regret that the sound is very distorted and harsh....at least to my ears....just seems a shame....is the point of this series that it issues material of inferior sound quality... not sure the other ones were all like this.

Well, I guess I'm a bit more tolerant of the sound quality (in particular I think that the second disc sounds really good!) but I would expect the sort of sound quality the '73 offers in this series, it's an official release of booted material, I'm not expecting professionally recorded sound. And I don't think the price is disproportionately expensive, I paid a reasonable price for this, and each of the four releases so far; I don't have complaints about this when it cost me for four discs about what I would pay for two new releases.

I think this one is a bit different as it has the two decades of Newport appearances theme, the others have been more focused and for the most part similar throughout in sound quality. But I'm really enjoying it and looking forward to the next.

Well, I guess I'm a bit more tolerant of the sound quality (in particular I think that the second disc sounds really good!) but I would expect the sort of sound quality the '73 offers in this series, it's an official release of booted material, I'm not expecting professionally recorded sound. And I don't think the price is disproportionately expensive, I paid a reasonable price for this, and each of the four releases so far; I don't have complaints about this when it cost me for four discs about what I would pay for two new releases.

I think this one is a bit different as it has the two decades of Newport appearances theme, the others have been more focused and for the most part similar throughout in sound quality. But I'm really enjoying it and looking forward to the next.

I agree with you Lon, the sound is excellent throughout.  In my podcast with the estate I was assured that Cuscuna and Berkowicz listen to multiple sources of the same tapes and choose the best sounding sources.

Lon and CJ

I sincerely respect your opinions and disagreement and yes I suppose that I have a lesser tolerance for what I perceive to be lower fidelity than perhaps either of you have.

I don't expect everyone or even anyone to agree with me..... I am just expressing my thoughts on it.