iTunes Blues

mjzee

iTunes has me really pissed right now.  

This is the issue:   As we all know, there are plenty of errors and inconsistencies in the music database accessed by iTunes. So we all edit the labels on the music that we download from iTunes as needed.  Right?   Fine.

Well now iTunes also puts copies of all the music that you have downloaded from the store in an iCloud for you.  Nice. 

Now the iCloud files use all of the original labels that went with the files, some of which are different than what you have labeled in your iTunes library.  OK.

I just changed to a new computer and loaded up my iTunes library.  Evidently in an attempt to synch my iTunes library with the iCloud that it created, it somehow located all of the files that I downloaded from iTunes and re-labeled them back as they were before.  So, for example, single artists discs that are mistakenly labeled "compilations" in iTunes were converted back into compilations in my iTunes library. :(((((   All in all, I have a mess on my hands - multiple entries for single artists followed by "trio" "quartet" "with bra bla bra"   :tdown:rhappy::angry: 

Holy shit!  I began changing the labels back again, which works temporarily.  But then iTunes finds them and changes them back again.   How can I stop this?  I don't see anything in preferences for breaking the link between my iTunes and the iCloud. :(

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy, I feel for you; I know how it is to put so much effort into your collection only to be waylaid by unthinking machines.

As to how to break the link between your iTunes and the Cloud, you might try going to your account information in iTunes (in iTunes, go to the iTunes store, then click on your name in the upper right corner and choose Account Info); then explore the section "iTunes in the Cloud."

Gonna buy a new Mac this weekend and (not) looking forward to the migration. All of my shit is on an EHD. Shawn has been very helpful with my problems before and I'm glad to see him weighing in here. He knows his stuff! I'll try to follow the directions in this thread, which is better than anything on Apple support.

2 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

Gonna buy a new Mac this weekend and (not) looking forward to the migration. All of my shit is on an EHD. Shawn has been very helpful with my problems before and I'm glad to see him weighing in here. He knows his stuff! I'll try to follow the directions in this thread, which is better than anything on Apple support.

Not sure what you mean by "All of my shit."  My guess is you're referring to your music files, and the rest (operating system, apps, etc.) are on your old computer's hard drive.  Assuming your old computer's operating system is up to date (OS X El Capitan version 10.11.2), you can follow Apple's instructions (found here).

On January 7, 2016 at 9:58 AM, clifford_thornton said:

BTW, I strongly suggest you get AppleCare.  For $99, it stretches the tech support from 90 days to 3 years (and the warranty from 1 year to 3).  They've walked me through many a situation, and you can stretch it to all sorts of peripherals (connectivity to an iPod or an EHD, for example).

23 minutes ago, clifford_thornton said:

Yeah, I just picked up the new iMac and bought AppleCare.

Will go back through and see if I can link up my EHD music to iTunes; I've already noticed that there is no "Music" folder on the computer by default.

My old computer was running a very old OS X version btw.

From what I've learned from this thread, especially Shawn's 10/15 posting, your "iTunes Library.itl" file needs to be in this location: Macintosh HD/Users/(your name)/Music/iTunes.  If you used the Migration Assistant, it should be there.  Since it's the same EHD as before, iTunes should then open up smoothly.  As a precaution, in iTunes open up Preferences, and make sure that under "Advanced" the iTunes Media folder location is correct.

If you've bought any mp3's from the iTunes store, make sure your new computer is registered there correctly.  It probably will be; the only hitch could be if you've already had 5 Macs registered, which is the limit.  If that happens, deregister all of them, and then reregister the ones you use now.

5 hours ago, clifford_thornton said:

okay, so I don't have a Music folder on this sucker somehow, though I do have iTunes. OS X 10.11.2 is what I'm apparently dealing with.

I think what you're looking for is the iTunes media folder. Once you're in iTunes, click on "iTunes" in the upper left hand corner at the top of your screen, then click on "Preferences". Next, click on the "Advanced" tab. Under "iTunes media folder location" you'll see where the music files should be on your hard drive. Hope this helps.

Just coincidently, I just now completed a somewhat similar task: I moved my music collection to a larger EHD.  So I had a similar problem: my music was on a different EHD and iTunes couldn't find them.  This Apple support page really helped me: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204668

To summarize what this page says: The iTunes Library.itl file is a database of the songs in your library.  It must reside in a specific location: Macintosh HD/Users/(your name)/Music/iTunes (to find it, in Finder choose Go > Home > Music > iTunes).  Your music is (or should be) in a folder named iTunes Media.  This folder can be anywhere on your computer, whether on your iMac's hard drive or on an EHD, as long as the iTunes Library.itl file knows where it is.

So first, open iTunes and go to Preferences.  On the Advanced tab, in the top section ("iTunes Media folder location"), is where iTunes thinks your music is located.  Since it can't see your music, it probably shows a location on your computer rather than your EHD.  I solved my problem by clicking Change... and pointing it to the iTunes Media folder on my new EHD.  Once I did that, it asked me something about letting it keep track of my library (the exact wording disappeared as soon as I clicked "yes", so, sorry, I can't reproduce it for you).  I clicked "yes," it did some database thing really quickly on my screen, and that was it.  The iTunes Advanced Preferences now shows my new EHD as the location for the iTunes Media folder, it can find any song I want same as before, and the info for any song shows all the data and artwork I've previously entered.

I know that computers can be maddening, but I hope your process ends as successfully as mine did.  Good luck.

I wish I had all the info mjzee listed when I "upgraded" to iTunes 12 only to find all my ripped music had vanished. It took quite some time to solve that little problem. 

Apple has gone downhill as far as their software is concerned. 

And now with the rumor that the next iPhone won't have a headphone jack, that may soon apply to their hardware as well. 

Great!  Now make sure you back that sucker up regularly.  Time Machine doesn't back up the data on external drives (I don't like Time Machine anyway - I find it slows the computer with its constant backup activity).  I like an application called SuperDuper.  It makes backups easy - you can schedule backups at night, and it does incremental backups.