Dave Pike RIP

JSngry

I mean, I get that this is "following" Gary Burton, but I never really dug Gary Burton THAT much, whereas Pike seems to have those roots that I like. OTOH, like him or not, Burton's voice was his own, for sure. But that's more about respect than it is like. Respect Burton a whole lot, just don't like him that much, I'll give him props from home. Pike Set, I might have gone to a bar where they were playing, hung out all night, have that kind of a good time.

I guess there was this whole jazz-rock/psychedlic/amped vibe thing going on at the time that I'm still finding out about, who was that guy from Indy with the 19th Whole or whatever it was? And the Boston group that did the Hoagy Carmichael kid-song thing? all this stuff in the aftermath of Burton. Even Roy Ayers coming out of Herbie Mann, different flavor, but still aiming young. Who knew?

The Dave Pike Set was considered one of the hippest bands over here during the time of their existence, and was the starting point for guitarist Volker Kriegel's career. I found their pop-tinged approach a little corny, typically German, as far as the groove was considered, but they were the very first jazz group here to play Zappa tunes. The cover design tells the story. Psychedelic pop was stealing the "progressive" image from jazz. Remember this was the time of free improvising experimental rock bands, too, Embryo and the like - the Dave Pike Set was the jazz branch of that. Sometimes a little too close to cocktail music.

I, too think, that Dave Pike was a bepopper at heart, and that his LPs on Columbia and Riverside of the early 1960's are the best, along with the one CD with Cedar Walton on Criss Cross. 

1021.jpg

But was also great in a Latin jazz context, his own LPs in that genre and the work with Herbie Mann tells this part of the story. I prefer rhythmic vibes players, and he was one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

Of the De Graaff/Vennik Quartet, I only have Modal Soul, which was released on Timeless-Muse here in the US. I really, really like it. 

I've also heard several tracks from Point of No Return (Universe Productions) on YT, and they're mighty impressive too.

There's another Timeless LP, Cloud People, which I'd like to hear. But I've never even seen it. Same with the BASF LP. Very rare stuff, apparently.