MLB 2016 Season Thread Of Discussions

JSngry

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Rays try to intentionally walk Gary Sanchez with runners at second and third and no outs, and he damn near hits it out of the park:

Sanchez sacrifice fly

... Resulting in a run scored and Ellsbury moving to third, then scoring on Gregorius's sacrifice fly. 

Edited by ghost of miles

6 hours ago, ghost of miles said:

The Rays try to intentionally walk Gary Sanchez with runners at second and third and no outs, and he damn near hits it out of the park:

Sanchez sacrifice fly

... Resulting in a run scored and Ellsbury moving to third, then scoring on Gregorius's sacrifice fly. 

Hilarious ....

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

Worst loss of the season for the Yankees last night. (I'm sure that Dan Gould is smiling.) Probably wouldn't have happened if that jackass Cashman hadn't traded Andrew Miller for minor leaguers.

(or it wouldn't have happened if Hanley got rung up on that check swing, which was awfully close.)

Smiling this morning - I went to bed after Papi's blast in the 8th. They really needed that win with Bucholz going tonight.

Been waiting 38 years for the Sox to return the favor to the Yankees with a Massacre.  Not quite the same - those games in Boston in '78 were all blowouts - but its nice to put the Yankees almost on the cusp of elimination while securing a tiny edge in the division race - which will surely go down to the wire and the Yanks could get a measure of revenge next week.

The beauty of baseball - there's always another game. Until there's not.

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

Been waiting 38 years for the Sox to return the favor to the Yankees with a Massacre.  Not quite the same - those games in Boston in '78 were all blowouts - but its nice to put the Yankees almost on the cusp of elimination while securing a tiny edge in the division race - which will surely go down to the wire and the Yanks could get a measure of revenge next week.

The beauty of baseball - there's always another game. Until there's not.

Nail biters these were for sure (from a Yankees fans perspective just with the wrong outcome) .... but - even while being disappointed - its virtually impossible to neglect the turn to positive in the Yankee`s 2016 season and a (realistic) perspective for the thing s to come

Yes, too much of a pipe-dream that this particular Yankees team could make a run at the playoffs, given the inconsistency of both the starting pitching and the bullpen, and the rash of injuries that have now occurred (Eovaldi, Hicks, Judge, Castro).  I'm focusing for now on continuing to watch and enjoy Gary Sanchez's development, and hoping that the groundwork is being laid for a competitive team in the next two years.  I sure hope that Clint Frazier ends up justifying the trade of Andrew Miller, who sure could have come in handy this past couple of weeks (Betances cannot pitch three nights in a row, and IMO works better as a setup man than a 9th-inning closer).  I suppose NY can try to lay out a bunch of cash for Chapman this winter, but it would have been far more economical to hold on to Miller for two more seasons. 

I've said it before, but once again - Cashman was a fool to trade Miller. I have a fantasy of owning the Yankees and making Cashman work out the rest of his contract as a batboy.

I still hope that Sabathia retires. If he were pitching a lot of innings and saving the bullpen, that would be one thing, even if he were a .500 or slightly less pitcher. But he's usually at 100 pitches by the end of the fifth inning and just helps to burn the bullpen out.

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

I've said it before, but once again - Cashman was a fool to trade Miller. I have a fantasy of owning the Yankees and making Cashman work out the rest of his contract as a batboy.

I still hope that Sabathia retires. If he were pitching a lot of innings and saving the bullpen, that would be one thing, even if he were a .500 or slightly less pitcher. But he's usually at 100 pitches by the end of the fifth inning and just helps to burn the bullpen out.

Agreed - and yes, the meltdown of Sabathia within the last three years - comin from the top pitcher he was before - was incredible and his nowadays capabilities dont justify a starting pitcher job at all. So retirement would save money and give a young pitcher the chance to grow on the job .... just my 5 cent worth ....

1 hour ago, ghost of miles said:

So, any Cubs fans in this thread? 

Uh, hello. Family comes from Chicago, if I haven't mentioned. And, my Mom is 81. My brother has a progressive, terminal disease.  

In short, should the Cubs and Red Sox meet in the Series, I will devoutly wish for a blow out by the Cubbies.  And if the Red Sox win, I think the guilt might kill me before nature takes either of them.

What tragedy for baseball today with the death of Marlins' pitcher Jose Fernandez. He died in a boat crash on Saturday. The Marlins canceled the game today. 

Marlins star Jose Fernandez dies in boating accident at 24

PHILADELPHIA, PA - JULY 18: Starting pitcher Jose Fernandez #16 of the Miami Marlins throws a pitch in the first inning during a game against the Philadelphia Phillies at Citizens Bank Park on July 18, 2016 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Hunter Martin/Getty Images)

Miami Marlins star pitcher Jose Fernandez was one of three people who died in a boating accident in Miami Beach early Sunday morning.

He was 24.

“The Miami Marlins organization is devastated by the tragic loss of Jose Fernandez,” the team said in a statement. “Our thoughts and prayers are with his family at this very difficult time.”

3 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

What tragedy for baseball today with the death of Marlins' pitcher Jose Fernandez. He died in a boat crash on Saturday. The Marlins canceled the game today. 

PHILADELPHIA, PA - JULY 18: Starting pitcher Jose Fernandez #16 of the Miami Marlins throws a pitch in the first inning during a game against the Philadelphia Phillies at Citizens Bank Park on July 18, 2016 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Hunter Martin/Getty Images)

Miami Marlins star pitcher Jose Fernandez was one of three people who died in a boating accident in Miami Beach early Sunday morning.

He was 24.

“The Miami Marlins organization is devastated by the tragic loss of Jose Fernandez,” the team said in a statement. “Our thoughts and prayers are with his family at this very difficult time.”

So young .... R.I.P

Very sad and shocking news. 

On a much less significant note, another bullpen meltdown by NY today.  I honestly think the Yankees would be in the thick of the WC race right now if we'd kept Miller... we've blown at least half a dozen games in the past two months in a manner similar to this afternoon's loss. 

16 hours ago, Hardbopjazz said:

He was 24.

Just seems so surreal. Don't know why it seems at least to me, that when we see strong young men like Jose, we see guys that are not as fragile as we all are ultimately.

Imagine how devastated his Mother must be, to lose her son....a son that jumped in to save her, when she went overboard on the boat they came from Cuba on....His girlfriend is expecting a baby girl he will never get a chance to hold, she will never get to know her Dad, except 2nd hand.....