MLB 2016 Season Thread Of Discussions

JSngry

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 8/9/2016 at 5:38 PM, JSngry said:

This is why I was never on board with trading Mitch Morelsnd:

http://www.lonestarball.com/2016/8/9/12415052/texas-rangers-rumors-prince-fielders-career-is-over-per-ken-rosenthal

Hate for this to be happening to Prince, the guy simply radiates good vibes.

Yeah, really a shame....someone that when healthy was someone that played practically every game...157 or more games a year from 2006 to 2013. Think I heard on baseball tonight, that even after the 1st operation, he had to turn his whole body to someone on his right to face them on the bench. Wonder why his neck had this problem yet other guys that swing as hard as humanly possible too, don't?

18 hours ago, JSngry said:

Prince Fielder has earned every penny the Rangers still have to pay him

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2016/8/10/12424716/rangers-prince-fielder-guaranteed-contract-money?_ga=1.245439682.717814884.1470145039

Can't say I disagree. LIP Prince.

I'm not sure I follow that logic.  Kudos to him and his agent for getting all they could because careers are short.  However, to say he earned it.  No, he didn't.  The Rangers won't lose out either I'm sure as they, in all likelihood, have an insurance policy on him.  Of course, they may have to pay higher premiums on future insurance policies.

They do have insurance, and yes, he earned it, as per the terms of the contract.

I get how "common people" like us feel that athletes are "overpaid", but in the end, anybody who is an employee who has leverage to make the best deal for themselves from management should do so, and when that deal includes injury or other worst-case scenarios clauses that unfortunately come to be executed, hey, you've earned it, you're engaging in the terms of your mutually agreed upon contract. Imagine the problems of trying to get that money if it had not been included in the contract, what a furor would ensue. Here, it's simple - they signed a contract and now that contract is being executed. Simple, clean, fair, and yes, earned.

As the author of that article said, the reality is that free agent contracts are about getting paid based on past performance, not future expectation. Not all jobs work that way, obviously. But these do.

As an employee in a business where things do not even begin to think about working that way, all I can say is that I am happy for Prince for not giving anything away in the interest of "job security", and for not halfassing on his job while he worked. This is a sad ending to a happy career.

Sad situation and I agree that he 'earned' the money he'll get.

It could actually be argued that this outcome could turn out best for the Rangers, if you believe that Fielder was likely to see steady decline in production over the remaining four years, even if completely healthy.  The contract he signed with the Rangers was enormous and extremely questionable given his body type. And the Rangers traded for that contract! They had to do it with their eyes wide open and justify it in hopes of immediate return on investment, future results be damned.

Now we'll never know if Fielder was going to decline into suckitude or not but he gets paid regardless.  The Rangers have to replace his bat and the financial hit isn't as bad due to the insurance. Imagine if he was riding the pine like A-Rod and making all that money down the line.

But I agree he earned the money.  If only teams would take to heart the fact that "past performance is not indicative of future returns".

Strange goings on at Fenway last night:

7th inning: 4-1 Sox. Yankees have men on first and second, no outs. Brett Gardner is at bat, looking to bunt. Reliever Robbie Ross Jr. throws a pitch over the plate, about the height of the top of Gardner's head that tips the top of the catcher's glove. The umpire ducks out of the way and the ball goes to the backstop. The runners moved up and the announcers were wondering why they didn't keep running, since the catcher didn't go after the ball. It turned out that the ball was stuck in the netting, just over the overhang, and it was a dead ball. Shades of Bull Durham!

Before he was taken out, Ross threw two more wild pitches, one way high and outside and another that skipped way low and inside. Rob Refsnyder scored from first base, one base at a time, on three separate wild pitches. I can't recall ever seeing that before. If I were on the Red Sox, I think I'd give Ross the nickname, Nuke, although all those players are too young to have seen Bull Durham.

Edited by paul secor

Joe Girardi getting very emotional last night after A-Rod's final game: 

Girardi post-game presser

I listened on MLB Gameday last night, and they gave free look-ins for audio-only subscribers whenever Rodriguez came up to bat. As much as I wish that they'd let him play out the rest of the season, it turned out to be a very nice send-off, and one that nobody would have predicted even a year and a half ago. For whatever reason, I always found myself rooting for the guy to redeem himself, and ultimately he did. 

• 2 weeks later...

Paul Secor, I have just three words for you: Gary Freakin' Sanchez. ? Three weeks into his rookie year, and the Mariners intentionally walked him twice today. Not to mention that his arm is inspiring comparisons to Pudge Rodriguez, and he seems to be jelling with the starting pitchers as well. I still think a wildcard slot is a distant dream, but the last two months of this season are proving to be a lot more fun to watch than the first four were.

I remember seeing Thurman Munson when he came up to play for the Yankees in late 1969, and having the feeling from the way he carried himself that he was going to be a very good major leaguer. I have much the same feeling about Gary Sanchez. Teams will no doubt catch on to him and he won't continue on the same tear that he's been on, but he should be a very good hitter and he'll only get better as a receiver (and he's already better than most major league catchers that I see). He gives the impression of someone who's been in the bigs for a few years, and not for less than 20 games.

16 hours ago, paul secor said:

I remember seeing Thurman Munson when he came up to play for the Yankees in late 1969, and having the feeling from the way he carried himself that he was going to be a very good major leaguer. I have much the same feeling about Gary Sanchez. Teams will no doubt catch on to him and he won't continue on the same tear that he's been on, but he should be a very good hitter and he'll only get better as a receiver (and he's already better than most major league catchers that I see). He gives the impression of someone who's been in the bigs for a few years, and not for less than 20 games.

Yes, once he's been around the league and opposing teams have had a chance to exploit any vulnerabilities he shows at the plate, his stats will undoubtedly come back down to earth... but I'm enjoying the ride for now.  His BA/OBP/SA after 19 games is .389/.450/.847...and he's thrown out five of eight runners attempting to steal (and two of the successful swipes came with Betances on the mound, whose delivery makes him notoriously easy to steal on).  I think this guy will prove to be a keeper.