Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bol

Joe Pass Mosaic Question

7 posts in this topic

Just got this set.  Disc 5, Track 1 "Joy Spring" has an unmistakable "flutter" at the 15-16 second mark.  I am wondering whether this is from the source material, or a defect in my copy.  Could people let me know of their experience?  Many thanks.

It's on my copy, though I had to listen hard to catch it!  Sounds like a tiny skip.  Thanks for asking, though.  Gives me a chance to listen to that disc!

gregmo

Greg,

Thanks.  That helps and reassures me.  No mention of this in the booklet, as far as I can tell.

Just had a listen - it's also present on my copy - gotta listen closely as it could be easy to miss

I also heard it as a tiny skip, possibly an edit? If so the "Producer's Note" in the booklet may cover this by stating "As with many Pacific Jazz tapes, there are odd edits here and there which were executed on the original master tapes and occasional dropouts."

4 hours ago, TedR said:

I also heard it as a tiny skip, possibly an edit? If so the "Producer's Note" in the booklet may cover this by stating "As with many Pacific Jazz tapes, there are odd edits here and there which were executed on the original master tapes and occasional dropouts."

Yeah, some of that Pacific Jazz material is a mess!  They did some very strange editing for different reasons at different times.

I listened to my copy. I don't know if it a edit job or just Joe not playing the note cleanly.