Question for Grateful Dead aficionados.

Scott Dolan

My wife and I were having lunch recently and the restaurant had a Dead concert playing. It was one of the most outstanding sets I've ever heard, that ended with Fire On The Mountain. 

I know this is probably akin to a blind man looking for a needle in a haystack while wearing heavy winter gloves, but are any of you familiar with any of the released live material where at least one of the discs ends with Fire On The Mountain? I dug through MANY of them on All Music, but came up empty. 

1 hour ago, Scott Dolan said:

My wife and I were having lunch recently and the restaurant had a Dead concert playing. It was one of the most outstanding sets I've ever heard, that ended with Fire On The Mountain. 

I know this is probably akin to a blind man looking for a needle in a haystack while wearing heavy winter gloves, but are any of you familiar with any of the released live material where at least one of the discs ends with Fire On The Mountain? I dug through MANY of them on All Music, but came up empty. 

No idea, but wonder if the restaurant would know, or at least provide the channel/service they subscribe to.

I once tracked down a random song by the band Blue Rodeo at an Eddie Bauer store using this method ("Five Days In May") :lol:

Dead Set is an excellent and affordable 2 CD set that features Fire On The Mountain. Otherwise you'll have to check the set lists on all of the Dick's Picks CD sets. They are much more pricey. I would check shows from 1977 onward. I know vol 29 has that tune, but I don't know if it's at the end of the set. You can check it out on YouTube. There are tons of good shows up there. If you want to watch a great one in excellent sound and video, just type in GD 6/16/90.

Edited by StarThrower

WOW! 

I think jazzbo may have nailed it!

Thanks, everyone! 

Oh, and I do have Dead Set. Little Red Rooster and From Of The Devil from that album are my favorite versions. 

Thanks again! I knew I came to the right place. ;) 

Oddly enough, one of the concerts that made up DP29 was recorded in Lakeland, FL. Which I used to live 15 minutes away from...

Edited by Scott Dolan

Credit really belongs to Starthrower, he pointed the way.

So much Dead to enjoy. . . even if like me you only collect up to '78. The band keeps cranking shows out. Next one is Dave's Pick 19, Hawaii in January '70. Looking forward to that.

Yeah, and I really only consider myself a casual fan. 

To this day I only own Dead Set, Without A Net, and the movie soundtrack box. But goddamn, more and more recently I find myself jonesing for some live Dead. So why not indulge? 

I almost wish I had ponied up for the 30 Trips Around The Sun box... What a beast that must be to get through! 

4 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

Yeah, and I really only consider myself a casual fan. 

To this day I only own Dead Set, Without A Net, and the movie soundtrack box. But goddamn, more and more recently I find myself jonesing for some live Dead. So why not indulge? 

Well, if you're not limiting yourself to officially released stuff, there's always the metric assload of shows at archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/GratefulDead&tab=collection

Buttloads, on the other hand, defy any and all attempts at measurement.

Perhaps loads of butt are nefatiously  gelatinous to the point of .measuremental morphitude whereas loads of ass are pretty much assitty in and by design. Nobody ever says "ooh dat butt", and why should they?

Just a theory 

2 hours ago, mjzee said:

I can't even imagine what an 80 disc boxset would even look or feel like. Must be pretty impressive aesthetically. 

2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

"The Porch Crusher." I didn't get this because I'm not interested in the later years. . . but what a set.

I prefer the early years as well, but there are some interesting moments on Without A Net. Unfortunately, not enough to justify a double cd...

BTW, what are the best DP's in your opinions? I've seen 4, 8, 15, 31, and 36 mentioned a LOT. 

Also, is the sound quality of these really as bad as some make it out to be? 

The sound quality varies but for the most part we jazz collectors have been exposed to a lot of different sounding recordings and these are probably more enjoyable by us than by other rock and pop collectors and listeners. I've never cringed when listening to them.

I haven't really developed many favorites. My Dead listening has lessened progressively the last few years and I listen to Dick's Picks in a sort of random manner, when I go through the shelves (which are not organized by artist or label or in any pervasive order) and chance upon one to pop in. Aligning with my interests lately those I think of as recent "favorites" are those from '68 and '69. I like 16, 22, and 26. And yeah, get any Fillmore date.

If you're thinking of collectablity or future resale, I bet the new July 1978 box set will increase in value and it has some really "almost exactly perfectly really great" performances.

3 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

I can't even imagine what an 80 disc boxset would even look or feel like. Must be pretty impressive aesthetically. 

It's certainly imposing.  Attractive, but full of stuff I'll never look at again.  Here's a guided tour:

Nah, I'm not a resale kind of guy, Lon. I pretty much always give things away that I no longer have a use for. 

The Fillmore date does strike me as a must have. So I'm going to get 29 first, and follow that up with 4. 

As for sound quality, some opinions I read made some of the dates sound like The Olatunji Concert would be an upgrade. But, I think you nailed it with your assessment underlining the differences in ears between the average Rock/Pop collector, and Jazz collector. Some of our finest releases have highly questionable sound quality. Just think how a Rock/Pop listener would react to the sound quality of things like the Hot Fives & Sevens. Or Spiritual Unity...

3 hours ago, Scott Dolan said:

BTW, what are the best DP's in your opinions? I've seen 4, 8, 15, 31, and 36 mentioned a LOT. 

There's so much out there...besides the "serieses" (DP, Road Trips, Dave's Picks, Download Series, the Vault series, complete Europe 72), there are the titles packaged for sales in stores: Fallout From The Phil Zone, Closing of Winterland, Nightfall of Diamonds, Dozin' At The Knick, Hundred Year Hall, Rockin' The Rhein, Sunshine Daydream, and lots more.  Like Lon says, just dive in.