John Patton Corner

Soul Stream

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought it was "zorn-ication" and if you were just thinkin' about it it was "zorn-if-ication"?

The DIW 'Minor Swing' is outztanding. Zorn is not the, how did one poster back on the BNBB when describing him on 'Blue Planet Man' put it (?)..., "groove killer". The real stand-out here is Ed Cherry. He's playing some killer stuff. But the tip o' the leslie must go to Jim Anderson, it's one of the finest sounding organ albums ever. And, Harvey Pekar does the liners. Highest recommendations. And if you can still find the mini-lp gatefold you get some choice Wolffs as well!!

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

• 2 weeks later...

Was listening to "Natural Soul" tonight. Still maybe my all-time favorite organ record. The RVG really makes a big difference over the TOCJ as far as definition and low-end clarity. But honestly, I lived and breathed with an old scratchy vinyl copy of this for a long time and didn't seem to mind!

John really made this one cook.

Was listening to "Natural Soul" tonight.  Still maybe my all-time favorite organ record.

Dude, you said that about Baby Face Willette's Stop & Listen a month ago!

You're off your rocker!!! :g

You caught me!!! I wonder what will be my all-time favorite organ record next week? ;):lol:

Oh well, enthusiasm isn't always the right backdrop for truth. :g

...(and by the way B3-er, it was "Face to Face!") B)

Edited by Soul Stream

i wish that mosaic would just make a complete bn of big john patton, especially on wax, instead of the new select.

give big john his props!

Hey, Big John is so unappreciated, I'll take anything I can get!!!!

Anyway, I'm with you, a FULL Big John Mosaic would have been nice w/alternate takes and extra cuts. Those are the things I'm gonna miss most. The music we'll probably never get to hear...the unreleased stuff.

But enough of that. I salute Mosaic and Cuscuna for appreciating Patton in a Select! :tup:party:

• 1 year later...

Just wanted to pull this one up for some air. :D

Was listening to John's "Boogaloo" album this morning. John's playing so clean and beautifully. Still my favorite organist hands down. His concept was so personal and unique, it's almost impossible to cop in any authentic way. He's definately one of those guys who just played his personality. What you hear on wax is the way John was. Spiritual, Funny, Determined, Humble, Overwhelming...all those things and then some.

He's the only legendary organist who continued to expand his concept with every recording. From "Along Came John" to "One For J.A." is quite a long journey, yet he remained true to himself all the way. He was definatley the epitome of an "artist."

• 6 months later...

Just wanted to bump John up and remind everyone to put on some Big John if at all possible. It's always good for the soul.

One I've been listening to tonight that has a lot of nice later compositions by John is "This One's For J.A." on the DIW label recorded in the 90's. Great band and a great album that doesn't get as much attention as it should. Also covers Trane, Archie Shepp, Wayne Shorter and Grachan Moncur III...don't know any other jazz organist that's compositions could fit seemlessly with those other writers. Great album.

I have that one, and also the Evidence recording, Blue Planet Man.

Are these the only two post-Blue Note sesssions he recorded as a leader?

Just wanted to bump John up and remind everyone to put on some Big John if at all possible.  It's always good for the soul.

One I've been listening to tonight that has a lot of nice later compositions by John is "This One's For J.A." on the DIW label recorded in the 90's.  Great band and a great album that doesn't get as much attention as it should.  Also covers Trane, Archie Shepp, Wayne Shorter and Grachan Moncur III...don't know any other jazz organist that's compositions could fit seemlessly with those other writers.  Great album.