BFT 155 Sign Up & Discussion

Dan Gould

2 hours ago, JSngry said:

Super Bowl Sunday, the usual facts and disclaimers set in Roman Numerals, let's play!

TRACK ONE - I liked the alto player a lot at first, but less as it went on. Seems like it got more Phil Woodsy. And Woodsier. To the point that it moved from shared influence to outright copying. But very fluent player, really speaking the language, and the rhythm section is in it. Apart from the Woods things, I liked the spunk and full-frontal approach.

Color me very surprised at this reaction. Am I following you, Woods-influenced to Circus-Woods copying? 

TRACK TWO - Scott Hamilton? The tune is maybe familiar? Like one of those "swing-to-bop" type things. I can't get with the chink-chink-chink-chink thing that the guitar (are there two, btw?) seems to favor. But otoh, everybody's playing. If I was walking past, I'd stop in and have a drink. After that, no promises, but hey, they got me for the one.

Not Scott, only one guitarist.

TRACK THREE - Shepp/Parlan. I'm guessing that Dan came for Parlan, stayed for Parlan, but was not unhappy with Shepp, right? For me, Shepp is great when he's great, boring as hell when he's not, but when he finds the right "dramatic" platform, he's exquisite. And I think he's exquisite here. Horace Parlan is Horace Parlan, so yeah, guaranteed.

:g Yeah, you pretty much got me, by the clips I heard I figured this (and the companion release) would be less "Fire Music" and more Shepp's deep influences like the leader of #4 which you nailed.

TRACK FOUR - That's Ben doing "Johnny Come Lately". One can never hear too much Ben, no matter who else is with him. This is a good rhythm section, but that alto player...no thanks. My guess is that it's this: https://www.dustygroove.com/item/812424/Ben-Webster:Ben-Webster-Meets-Piet-Noodrijk-Johnny-Come-Lately-Live-In-Groningen-1973

Well done; I programmed this to make sure people got a taste of this, to hear reactions both to his "pushy" front line partner who barged onto the bandstand saying "Hey Ben what are we going to play?" ("Put Sangrey down for NO")  and whether Ben sounds more engaged/energetic on this night, whether the Lion in Winter roused himself one last time, or as one member of the rhythm section says in the liners "I remember thinking this guy is ruining our gig."

TRACK FIVE - That's one of those songs you want to get rid of, but when the time comes, you just can't. "Please don't talk about me when I'm gone". I like this alto playing, the tone, the phrasing, that tarty vibrato that never goes overboard, too corny to be hip and at the same time to hip to be corny. I like a motherfucker who refuses to take sides! I like the trombone too. This sounds like something I've heard coming out of the Dick Gibson Jazz Parties, very un-self-conscious. OH SHIT - This tenor player sounds like ROSCOE MITCHELL!!!! Is it Al Cohn? I mean, that might be the most unintentionally non-sequiturish thing I've ever posted, but the thuddy, overblown attack (all on purpose, of cours), it sounds like Roscoe. And Al. I could be persuaded to but this record if it's all this good. And listen to the rhythm guitar behind the trumpet. ching-ching-ching-ching, not chink-chink-chink-chink lie the other guy. One is a plush carpet, the other's  a slasher film. I very much like how everybod's on the same page here. Not just on the same page, but reading at the same pace.

Uh, yeah, not Roscoe or Cohn. But I can get where you're coming from on the Jazz Parties, old pros doing their thing, wherever its appreciated (still).

TRACK SIX - "Broadway", sounds like a private recording. That first guy REALLY sounds like Buddy Tate. The second, kinda like Zoot, but not really...sorta non-descript. Picks up after a while, because Buddy Tate kinda forces the issue!

Buddy Tate is correct. Didn't expect the other guy to quite be called "non-descript". Definitely had a name that's not been forgotten.

TRACK SEVEN - King Curtis. Took me a little while to figure it out, mainly because of the vibrato, but then he hit one of those high notes, and yep. This is beautiful. "Caressing a melody" is such a cliche, but that's what he's doing here, caressing it, tickling it, giving it a little pinch, a little nibble, a little lick, a littel push, a little pull, you know, sexing it.And he knows you're watching.

King Curtis is correct.

TRACK EIGHT - "Sister Sadie", by some heavy-ass toned, guitarist. Somebody who's heard Tiny Grimes and paid attention to the finer points. But then there's that hillbilly stuff in there...Lenny Breau? Not feeling that drummer, sorry. If I was passing by, I might stand outside for a few minutes, might not go in for a drink, depends on the waitresses. So take notes, kids, take the gig at the joint with the cutest waitresses. Don't ask why, ok, just do it.

No not Lenny Breau.

TRACK NINE - Marvin & Johnny would be the ones to answer this question. But they're not here, so I'll go with Gene & The 3 Sounds. I swear to god, this guy always walks right up to the very edge of Oscar Peterson bullshittery and never, never crosses over, I love him for that. That, and that this was one helluva good band, a real trio. There were arrangements, sometimes overt, sometimes subtle, but it was a group effort, always. Hell, I'd have a drink or two, even if there were no waitresses. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hey_There_(album)

Well done. They were a band and I chose this to highlight Gene more burning, less overtly bluesy (fooled Randy who I could have given credit for since he got "Harris" right). Also, Bill Dowdy. The man could play.

TRACK TEN - Was this sourced from a cassette? Not at all opposed to these "type of thing", but this specific example...not doing too much for me. Maybe it's the drumming. There's no breath in the time.

Not sourced from a cassette but from freshly procured vinyl. Basically tracked to break up mainstream/swing flow I was in, as was track 11 which of course you nailed and was also acquired in the Steeplechase haul that netted me the Shepp/Parlan discs.

TRACK ELEVEN - And now, for something completely different..

TRACK TWELVE - "Moten Swing". I like this. It's oddly Brubeck-ian, yet curiously Hines-ly, a pungent bouquet with an iridescent finish...I'll take a case, please, of gallons, if you have them. That's some Secret Society Sauce, nobody gonna play like that unless they KNOW something.

Glad you like it and I think you'll be a bit surprised at the reveal. Might even be really surprised.

TRACK THIRTEEN - Bill Dogget? Billy Butler? Bubba Brooks? No matter...we can effectively play the "eventually it all starts to sound the same" card here, but we can also play the "well, not really" card every bit as better, and that's the one I'll play here, because of details, little details. So, card played. I like it.

Doggett and Bubba but not Billy. You well know how I can never get enough Bubba.

Again, a very consistent presentation, much to enjoy, nothing to wholly abhor. For free tunes, hey, ain't a better deal to be had, right?

You knocked off some low-swinging and higher-swinging fruit. What's not to like? :g

Edited by Dan Gould

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Jim R said:

Track 8...  the eclecticism and chops put me in the mind of Larry Coryell, and I know he has recorded this tune, but I can't find a match.  I don't like it a lot... sounds more sloppy and frantic than Larry.

Not Coryell but welcome Jim, I did have you in mind on the tunes featuring guitar.

2 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Not Coryell but welcome Jim, I did have you in mind on the tunes featuring guitar.

Thanks Dan.  Unfortunately, I don't have anything very nice to say with regard to the other guitarists (at least the ones I've managed to notice so far).  Rhythm player on track 2 is kind of corny/annoying with the bright 4/4, though he's competent with his chording.  I found the guitar solo on track 5 to be borderline unlistenable (tone, technique, ideas...? bleh).  On track 13, Billy Butler on his worst day would have been an enormous improvement.  A little positive spin there... at least I complimented Billy Butler.  :lol:

1 hour ago, Jim R said:

Thanks Dan.  Unfortunately, I don't have anything very nice to say with regard to the other guitarists (at least the ones I've managed to notice so far).  Rhythm player on track 2 is kind of corny/annoying with the bright 4/4, though he's competent with his chording.  I found the guitar solo on track 5 to be borderline unlistenable (tone, technique, ideas...? bleh).  On track 13, Billy Butler on his worst day would have been an enormous improvement.  A little positive spin there... at least I complimented Billy Butler.  :lol:

Guitarist on track 2 is considered a major part of the appeal of the album (Chuck Nessa told me so). YMMV - obviously I should have selected a tune that he is featured on, which I nearly did.

Track 5 is a major artist.  Again, mileage, and of course he could have had a bad day what do I know? 

Track 13 is certainly the least known guitarist so feel free to diss him. I only included the track for the tenor.

On 2/7/2017 at 1:03 AM, mikeweil said:

Thanks again, Dan, for stepping in. Without being aware of it, you represented me well, as track 8 is one I had on my list of tracks to include on a BFT some day, so I know who it is, although I bought it for the drummer, not for the guitarist. 

Thanks Mike. Feel free to reveal the answer if you want ... though I guess its possible someone else can still puzzle it out. Funny that you had it chosen for the drummer who Mr. Sangrey ain't feelin'. Mileage does vary.

I ahs the cold or whatever it is that this dumbass mountain cedar is causing, have had it for more than a week now, so maybe I just heard it all wrong. Or maybe would hear it differently in a different context. Or maybe I just don't like it at all. But if it's some certified time-tested badass and company, hey, nobody bats 1.000 except for Dave Smith.

TheKidWhoBatted1000.jpg

So...... I hadn't downloaded the files, and just now when I went back to Thom's link to listen again, I found this:  This domain name expired on Feb 8 2017 01:09:30:000 AM.  Click here to renew it.

I suppose Thom may already be aware of it, but if not... just a heads up!

49 minutes ago, Jim R said:

So...... I hadn't downloaded the files, and just now when I went back to Thom's link to listen again, I found this:  This domain name expired on Feb 8 2017 01:09:30:000 AM.  Click here to renew it.

I suppose Thom may already be aware of it, but if not... just a heads up!

Is that like the game being called in the middle of my at-bat? :g

1 hour ago, Dan Gould said:

Is that like the game being called in the middle of my at-bat? :g

Nah, just let them get the tarp down, and we can all listen to Joe Buck for (hopefully not more than) a couple of hours.  :excited:

In the good old days, this situation could have been remedied by an appearance from Max Patkin, or perhaps Eddie Feigner...

Sorry guys.  Been only semi-online (in terms of my routine).  It was a clerical glitch that shut my domain down.  Should be up and running now.  (And now, I will receive my slew of backlogged e-mails).  Haven't listened, yet, so I haven't been checking this thread.  We should be back up and running.  Thanks for the heads up, Bill.

Oh, and Dan, I'm recovering with minor setbacks (swelling, fair amount of pain).  Getting old royally sucks.

Edited by tkeith