Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StarThrower

Frank Zappa

29 posts in this topic

Yeah, "Greasy Love Songs" is not a mistaken name. I have some of the MOFO Project CD sets, and they are really interesting. The Uncle Meat set, 'Meat Light", is one of the best, and contains some gems from the early Mothers which had not been released.

I find that the live recordings and previously unreleased recordings from the mid-1970s band, with George Duke, are also excellent. I love the 1988 big band recordings, especially "Make a Jazz Noise Here," and wish that more from that sadly short lived large jazz ensemble would surface.

1 hour ago, Hot Ptah said:

Yeah, "Greasy Love Songs" is not a mistaken name. I have some of the MOFO Project CD sets, and they are really interesting. The Uncle Meat set, 'Meat Light", is one of the best, and contains some gems from the early Mothers which had not been released.

I find that the live recordings and previously unreleased recordings from the mid-1970s band, with George Duke, are also excellent. I love the 1988 big band recordings, especially "Make a Jazz Noise Here," and wish that more from that sadly short lived large jazz ensemble would surface.

Amen! I'd like to hear a full band version of Sleep Dirt. There was some sound check footage on YouTube of the '88 band playing that tune.

9 hours ago, JSngry said:

They still insist on calling the original Cruisin' With Reuben and The Jets Greasy Love Songs, eh? Can't admit to a fuckup, sad. I'm ok with keeping the "re-do", it's not without its perverse charm, but give THAT one  a different name, ok?

6 hours ago, felser said:

They have been giving different names to all of the MOFO Project CD sets.  Interesting that some include the original versions and some don't, act purely as supplements.  Wish the original round of Ryko ones had been done right in the first place - what a mess those were.

IIRC the renamings were for legal reasons, a loophole that somehow allowed them to release MOFO, Lumpy Money, and Greasy Love Songs without breaching the agreement the Zappa trust had with Ryko/Warner.

61oeAlDi4FL._SL1200_.jpg

Been spending the last 10 days or so going through this one very slowly and methodically, listening entirely for "compositional analysis", and finding much to fascinate, really brought into light just how connected the two albums were in terms of basic compositional/thematic cells/rows (still can't tell if it's an actual row being used or if it's a set of really targeted variations on the core intervals).

Also had forgotten how brilliant the whole Piano People things were. I better watch it or I'm gonna go off on a Firesign tangent, and I really don't have time for that right now.