• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Image result for myra melford alive in the house of saints

Top notch piano jazz.

Reminds me of her appearance at the Wiltshire Music Centre about 12 years ago, with a group including Paul Motian I think. Very impressive - no return visit sadly but I believe that she is performing in London in November.

Edited to say maybe not Motian but possibly Cuong Vu in the band.  Details are hazy but I do recall her doing an interlude on solo harmonium !

Edited by sidewinder

9 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

she is performing in London in November

for which I have my ticket. I saw her with  Equal Interest [Leroy Jenkins and Joseph Jarman] at QEH years ago and have very hazy memories of a gig maybe at the old Vortex but it's too hazy

4 hours ago, sidewinder said:

... I believe that she is performing in London in November.

November 22 - see http://www.myramelford.com/projects/project/display/id/4/Snowy-Egret 

4 hours ago, mjazzg said:

for which I have my ticket. I saw her with  Equal Interest [Leroy Jenkins and Joseph Jarman] at QEH years ago and have very hazy memories of a gig maybe at the old Vortex but it's too hazy

She will also come to my hometown Göttingen November 17 for our 41st Jazzfestival. Line up of "Snowy Egret": Myra Melford (p), Ron Miles (cnt), Liberty Ellman (g), Stomu Takeishi (b), Gerald Cleaver (dr). https://www.jazzfestival-goettingen.de/index2.php/artists/myra-melford-snowy-egret/ 

Edited by optatio

On 10/5/2018 at 9:37 PM, Larry Kart said:

https://www.amazon.com/Lush-Life-Musical-Joe-Castro/dp/B0157S7MTQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1538696755&sr=1-1&keywords=joe+castro

On to CD 2, with Teddy Wilson, bass, drums and either Getz  (7/55) or Zoot Sims (1/56). This is great stuff. Wilson is in remarkable form throughout, and Getz really responds to his thematic-motivic, semi-contrapuntal comping, which is not unlike John Lewis' behind Milt Jackson with the MJQ. Stan initially is akin to his laidback "Long Island Sound" period of a few years before but then he really digs in.

Zoot was in great form in 1956, more long-lined/linear than he would be in later years. His reading of "You Go To My Head" is masterly. Drummer Sol Gubin only has a snare and brushes to work with, and the first of the Teddy-Zoot tracks, "Sunday," doesn't lift off as much it might have, as Gubin sticks with "what-to-do" rudiments, but things loosen up notably later on, and Zoot is irrepressible. Interestingly, Wilson's comping behind Zoot is not particularly thematic-motivic, as it was behind Getz.

On to CDs 3 and 4. I was particularly looking forward to No. 3, which features lots of Lucky Thompson, and Oscar Pettiford throughout, and was not disappointed. Lucky's solo on "Tricrotism" is a good deal more extended than on his classic ABC-Paramount trio recording with Pettiford and Skeeter Best, and the more Lucky the better for me -- what a unique, marvelous player. Next comes Lucky paired with Zoot Sims on "Lester Leaps In," intriguing to hear the un-Prez-like Thompson in this context and with Zoot. Castro with Zoot is rather too forceful at times on "Things Ain't What They Used To Be," but that doesn't bother Zoot at all; he's all in. And so it goes for three more tracks with either Lucky or Zoot, very good all the way. Trombonist Sonny Truitt, an Earl Swope disciple it would seem, is mellow and creative once he loosens up. Trumpeter who is thought  to be John Glasel doesn't make much of an impression. Pettiford's bass lines and solos are something else -- what a shame he died when he did (1960, age 37).

Cd 4 is the Castro-Teddy  Edwards-LeRoy Vinnegar -Billy Higgins quartet that made several records. Nothing startlingly better here than on those, but very good. Nice to hear Vinnegar take some non-walking solos; he had a flair for them too.