• Peter Friedman

• HutchFan

• BillF

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Brad said:

48C21AEE-B042-48EA-93DA-E3367B5DE6FF.jpeg

Was Frank Wess a known sex offender?

If not, that's a pretty questionable choice for an album cover. I would be offended, but I guess you could make the case that he's pretending to be a bat, which would also be a surprise. Was he known to have been in a state of mental deterioration at this time?

Silliness aside, who's in that band?

Amazon review:

"For someone like me who plays the tenor and loves its classics, this is a delightful history lesson. It should be called 'The Joy of Tenor Sax.' Led by Frank Wess, who clearly grooves on live performance, whether on his flute or on tenor, this double CD features (count'em!) not one but four historic tenor giants: Wess, Jimmy Heath (on two cuts), Frank Foster (on three) and the eldest of all, Flip Phillips (on one). The rest of the cuts are all Wess, with a first-rate trio led by the great George Cables on piano (bassist is Lynne Seaton).. Its all recorded on a cruise ship in front of an appreciative audience which makes you feel like part of the jazz family. Remember, these discs are made in the mid 90's and these men were playing with Basie or Jazz at the Philharmonic in the late '40's! Talk about masters! The feeling is warm, the improvisations are stretched out and richly conceived, the rhythm section is superb." 

BTW, others here no doubt are way ahead of me, but noting the hefty price on this album and the lesser price for a download, I'll say that I've begun downloading and burning to disc (because I want to play back things through my good stereo system) a fair number of items where the CDs are pricey or the item may not even be available as other than a download. My latest such move was Milton Babbitt's String Quartets (2-6)  in fine performances for $15 and only available so far as a download. It was an especaialy tasty deal because the total amount of music, about 90 minutes, was more than a single CD can handle, though of course once downloaded it's easy to burn the music onto two blank CDs.

Here's the Babbitt Quartets link:

https://erikcarlson.bandcamp.com/album/milton-babbitt-string-quartets

I love Frank Wess (on tenor and flute, both!), but if I pick this one up, it's not going to be with a cover of a sexual predator. That's beyond bad taste, in some ways worse than those Venus covers, because presumably those are consenting adults, not G-Rated Larry Flynt-esque winks.

6 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I love Frank Wess (on tenor and flute, both!), but if I pick this one up, it's not going to be with a cover of a sexual predator. That's beyond bad taste, in some ways worse than those Venus covers, because presumably those are consenting adults, not G-Rated Larry Flynt-esque winks.

If anyone does have or picks up this Wess CD, could you report on it? I like Wess too but recall that at least one Floating Jazz Fest album, by whom I don't recall)  was kind of ramshackle for my tastes.