JSngry

So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

33,788 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Gheorghe said:

This one has a special meaning to me since Art Pepper played a festival gig in Austria during that period, and on the playing list was his famous version of "Your´s my heart only". I heard another version of it on the Croydon Concert also 1981. I think those two "widow´s taste" albums are wonderful. 

I think, on the Austrian gig Pepper had to play with Stan Getz´s rhythm section, I don´t know exactly what had happened that he didn´t have his usual rhythm section. 

Art Pepper "lost" George Cables somewhere in Europe during the summer tour in 1981 .... in Velden/Austria he had Lou Levy from Stan Getz 4tet subbing and in Copenhagen Duke Jordan came to the rescue ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, soulpope said:

Art Pepper "lost" George Cables somewhere in Europe during the summer tour in 1981 .... in Velden/Austria he had Lou Levy from Stan Getz 4tet subbing and in Copenhagen Duke Jordan came to the rescue ....

Very interesting back-ground info ! I have thought he had "lost" Milcho Levieff, but sure....... he played a lot with George Cables. George Cables was a very very fine pianist and composer, his was with Dexter, and by the way, Dexter also was on schedule in Velden 81, then with Kirk Lightsey......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Gheorghe said:

Very interesting back-ground info ! I have thought he had "lost" Milcho Levieff, but sure....... he played a lot with George Cables. George Cables was a very very fine pianist and composer, his was with Dexter, and by the way, Dexter also was on schedule in Velden 81, then with Kirk Lightsey......

I believe Milcho Leviev was touring with Art Pepper during summer 1980 - culminating in a week long stay @ Ronnie Scott's London ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Started with:

image.jpg?c=A5bxQ0ecSz50LgXw5zf2YwSijaXJ

The Three Sounds - Standards: A fine way to start the morning and the album received the baby's seal of approval (dancing in her high chair).  

Next up:

51REFcleUZL._SY400_.jpg

Wynton Kelly - Piano Interpretations

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, B. Goren. said:


The_Cry%21.jpg

Unheralded masterpiece .... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

61t1HmatVjL._SY495_.jpg

John Hicks - Hicks Time: Solo Piano (Passin' Thru)

One of Hicks' best records, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Peter Friedman said:

41dbtVf4YXL._AC_UL436_.jpg

Superb late Getz ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

41C6JKjvofL.jpg

Sir Roland Hanna - Plays the Music of Alec Wilder (Gitanes Jazz Productions)

Produced by Helen Merrill; originally released on Inner City in the U.S.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nana Caymmi canta Tito Madi (Biscoito Fino)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HutchFan said:

41C6JKjvofL.jpg

Sir Roland Hanna - Plays the Music of Alec Wilder (Gitanes Jazz Productions)

Produced by Helen Merrill; originally released on Inner City in the U.S.

Very good indeed .... and the track with Helen Merill is lovely ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-370750-1104748497.jpg.jpg

Charlie Haden with Paul Bley & Paul Motian - The Montreal Tapes (Verve)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.