JSngry

So, What Are You Listening To NOW?

39,427 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, JSngry said:

Appropos of nothing specific, but gauzy is what a generally and liberally applied buzz does to sleazy.

I like this etymology!

61ct%2B3ryrqL.jpg

Excellent ....

R-1897319-1251556094.jpeg.jpg

From the Herbie Columbia box

The only disappointment in the otherwise splendid Tubby Hayes Complete Fontana set, a bit of commercial schlock. Hayes has a few moments, but this one was obviously included just to keep the set complete:

tubby hayes.jpg

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, gmonahan said:

The only disappointment in the otherwise splendid Tubby Hayes Complete Fontana set, a bit of commercial schlock. Hayes has a few moments, but this one was obviously included just to keep the set complete:

tubby hayes.jpg

Commercial yes - but Tubby’s playing is full of lyricism in this set. Definitely worth inclusion IMO.

I suspect Jack Baverstock at Fontana was trying to get Tubby some air play on the then-new BBC Radio 2. Probably the morning Jimmy Young programme and its like. The music has that sort of ‘air’ about it.

Edited by sidewinder

Marcus Belgrave: Gemini

Phil Ranelin: The Time Is Now

2 hours ago, jlhoots said:

Phil Ranelin: The Time Is Now

What an amazing album!  I'd never even heard of Ranelin, but about 15 years ago I spied a used copy of The Time Is Now at Euclid Records, and bought it pretty much based on the cover, instrumentation, and the recording date/location alone.  Brilliant date!

I've been listening to Jack McDuff's Heatin' System tonight:

R-2545769-1331134035.jpeg.jpg

For the first time in a while, I had some energy left at the end of the workday.  So I spent some time writing today's entry in my 70s jazz blog.  I had some fun with it.  It's about The Heatin' System and Soul Jazz in general.  If you care to give it a read, click here.

6 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

41x239a2yjL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

Every time Fritz Pauer played in a club it was a highlight, he was fantastic. I saw this trio with Jimmy Woode and Tony Inzalaco on several occasions , shortly before or after that record came out, and in April 1978 they played with Johnny Griffin ! 

Aa71ydF2Dj8qL._SS500_.jpg

Tyler Blanton - Sense of Place, with Jon Cowherd, Drew Gress and Johnathan Blake.

R-5126831-1388959717-5951.jpeg.jpg

R-5126831-1534802947-9911.jpeg.jpg

a little goes a long way, and there's more than a little here. but anybody who says something along the lines of that they "don't see what the fuss was all about"...well, can't help you there.

Even so, a little does go a long way. And there is more than a little here.

91GSgBkVrSL._SL1440_.jpg

81hRYPv06LL._SL1088_.jpg

13 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

41x239a2yjL._AC_UY218_ML3_.jpg

A beauty ....

51uNaYpjY%2BL._SY400_.jpg

Disc 7: I am finishing the second run through this set in the last two weeks.  This has to be one of my favorite discs of the set.  Half is a strings date with Russ Garcia's arrangements and the other half is a swinging quartet date with Ronnie Ball.