360 Experience. Don Pullen Beaver Harris

Hardbopjazz

Ralph Steadman cover, and an intriguingly post-Mingus band at the core. I've had From Ragtime to No Time for a long time, and it's pretty good, but I'm thinking this one might be a little different in some crucial ways. We'll see!

6 hours ago, JSngry said:

Ralph Steadman cover, and an intriguingly post-Mingus band at the core. I've had From Ragtime to No Time for a long time, and it's pretty good, but I'm thinking this one might be a little different in some crucial ways. We'll see!

So Ralph Steadman, not Hunter Thompson - same gestalt!!

• 4 weeks later...

I've had the CD in the car for a few days, and:

• Steel drums are hardly there, all things considered, They're certainly not any kind of "focus" of the music, although there are a few times where they're used as a tonal effect that is weirdly synth/electronic-like
  • Don Pullen plays great from beginning to end
  • Horn solos are essentially non-existent
  • Buster Williams turn in a gem of a performance. It's so nice to hear him drop down to a low tonic note and hit it dead-on without any ambivalence of pitch or inflection, just BOOM there it is.
  • I like the record more than love it, but have zero regret about buying it and would cetainly buy it again.

6 hours ago, JohnS said:

I used to have this but it never earned its keep

360-degree-music-experience---in-sanity.

same here on both counts.  The whole was much less than the sum of the parts.  That being said, the title in discussion here, "Well Kept Secret" sounds more substantial as I listen to samples.

Edited by felser

I'm listening to 'In:Sanity' now and I hear a good album in there trying to struggle out. Oddly for a drummer-led date it's sounding a bit rhythmically constipated (and the muddy mix doesn't help either). I'm not sure the writing's there to support the larger ensemble either and when it breaks free from the arrangements a bit it sounds more vital. Still a fine line-up. 

I very much rate 'A Well Kept Secret' and also the Timeless date ' Beaver Is My Name' but then I like a steel pan or two - it's a London thing

Edited by mjazzg

5 hours ago, mjazzg said:

I'm listening to 'In:Sanity' now and I hear a good album in there trying to struggle out. Oddly for a drummer-led date it's sounding a bit rhythmically constipated (and the muddy mix doesn't help either). I'm not sure the writing's there to support the larger ensemble either and when it breaks free from the arrangements a bit it sounds more vital. Still a fine line-up. 

agreed.