Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chuck Nessa

Joseph Jarman - RIP

45 posts in this topic

I am also saddened.  He was marvelous.  Condolences to all his friends and family.

Another major loss. What an innovator. RIP, Joseph.  

Very sad to read this. RIP

Edited by OliverM

Heard the news last night. Listening to Sunbound and Together Alone to remember and commemorate.

I've been forced to consider mortality a lot these past few years, and a big lesson for me throughout all of this is that it's often hard to detect the size of one's fingerprint until or unless you look at the earth moved around it. I never had a chance to meet him, but JJ worked and/or befriended a large number of people who are very important to me--a fact that I had not considered until just today. His music has changed my life in many ways--not just the immediate stuff of transforming my listening habits or the broader shifts in understanding that the Art Ensemble induced in my cultural perspective, but also in the way of being a part of a world that has felt more real to me even as it has grown (physically) smaller. 

Yes, I feel my world is closing in.

Very sad. A huge loss.

One of the best performances I ever witnessed were the two sets of duets, Joseph Jarman and Don Moye, on Saturday afternoon of the 1979 Ann Arbor Jazz Festival. 

ive seen Don Moye solo and Roscoe Mitchell solo.  I kind of got a twinkle of how monumental it must of been to see them all on stage together.

I've been listening to a lot of the Art Ensemble lately. This is very sad news

6 hours ago, chewy-chew-chew-bean-benitez said:

ive seen Don Moye solo and Roscoe Mitchell solo.  I kind of got a twinkle of how monumental it must of been to see them all on stage together.

You would have loved this. At least 40 years ago I saw a "double bill" at the University of Wisconsin  (Milwaukee) - Art Ensemble Of Chicago & Sun Ra Arkestra. What a night!!!

3 minutes ago, jlhoots said:

You would have loved this. At least 40 years ago I saw a "double bill" at the University of Wisconsin  (Milwaukee) - Art Ensemble Of Chicago & Sun Ra Arkestra. What a night!!!

I saw that double bill at Irving Plaza in NYC around 1984.

18 minutes ago, mjzee said:

I saw that double bill at Irving Plaza in NYC around 1984.

Maybe it was 35 years ago.

I actually own more albums by AEC members than I do by the group itself.  I wish that Jarman had been documented more as a leader; Connecting Spirits and Calypso's Smile are challenging and deep without sacrificing warmth and accessibility.  I am looking forward to hearing more of his work.  Thank you for the music, Mr. Jarman, and rest in peace. 

Thanks for posting, Chuck.  Playing 'Song For'  little later tonight.

Michael

Edited by Michael

I've been away for some time and just learned of his passing.

This is very sad indeed. Thank you very much for the wonderful music, Mr. Jarman.