Infinite Spirit Music - Live Without Fear. Official reissue

mjazzg

Whilst I have every confidence in CT's description, does the YouTube clip not play for you? I know that sometimes I can't access YouTube clips posted by US board members so maybe it's the same in reverse for you

Here's a review

http://ukvibe.org/album_reviews/infinite-spirit-music/

My main interest is the participation of Khalil El-Zabar and Henry Huff whose work together in the Ethnic Heritage Ensemble is tremendous. The Infinite Spirit is maybe similar in the centrality of rhythm and percussion but has the electric elements from the electric piano and possibly a bit of a "cosmic soul" influence in the vocals.  I hate trying to describe music, sorry.

I'm sure every retail outlet will call it "Spiritual Jazz", a phrase I'm increasingly finding difficult to understand and trust but in this case may be more applicable than in many others

Over to Clifford...

7 minutes ago, mjazzg said:

Whilst I have every confidence in CT's description, does the YouTube clip not play for you? I know that sometimes I can't access YouTube clips posted by US board members so maybe it's the same in reverse for you

Here's a review

http://ukvibe.org/album_reviews/infinite-spirit-music/

My main interest is the participation of Khalil El-Zabar and Henry Huff whose work together in the Ethnic Heritage Ensemble is tremendous. The Infinite Spirit is maybe similar in the centrality of rhythm and percussion but has the electric elements from the electric piano and possibly a bit of a "cosmic soul" influence in the vocals.  I hate trying to describe music, sorry.

I'm sure every retail outlet will call it "Spiritual Jazz", a phrase I'm increasingly finding difficult to understand and trust but in this case may be more applicable than in many others

Over to Clifford...

Sorry, busy day at work, and I didn't even notice it was a youtube clip.  Will take a listen, but still looking forward to CT's description, and appreciate yours!

My favorite aspects of the record are when it sounds like Central and West African percussion music with post-Coltrane flourishes. Definitely fits into the Kahil El'Zabar universe (although for whatever reason, seeing Kahil live has been way more impactful than any of the recordings). The keyboard aspects set this apart but it is still quite ritualistic/Ancient to the Future overall. 

I have listened to an original copy of this record and the reissue sounds punchier/richer.

I believe I have mentioned several times that I saw Katetta Aton live once with a Malachi Favors band at the Chicago Underground Festival in...1981? She blew me away, totally, but it was only a few years ago that I could find somebody/anybody who knew who she was/had been. Then they pointed me to a blog version of this, apparently her only record(?). She's nothing here like she was live, I can assure you!