EKE BBB

What rock music are you listening to? Non-Jazz, Non-Classical.

2,751 posts in this topic

John Martyn - Inside Out (Island)

John-Martyn-Inside-out.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Marzz said:

John Martyn - Inside Out (Island)

John-Martyn-Inside-out.jpg

👍👍👍!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Marzz said:

As far as listening I only have my ancient ipod but that's ok, I have a gazillion and one songs on it including this fine Richard & Linda Thompson album (prompted by felser's post above).

Richard-Thompson-Pour-Down-Like-Silver.j 

Such a fantastic album!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Marzz said:

John Martyn - Inside Out (Island)

John-Martyn-Inside-out.jpg

Blew my mind when I first heard this one and 'Bless The Weather' in college.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, felser said:

Blew my mind when I first heard this one and 'Bless The Weather' in college.

It was 'OneWorld' for me, whilst still at school. Instrumental, along with The Clash and some others, in saving me from Heavy Metal :excited:

Playing this for the first time and enjoying it very much indeed

R-183765-1400919548-3711.jpeg.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Image result for sam cooke the man who invented soul"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After Bathing at Baxter’s - Jefferson Airplane 

53957B07-AE10-4E31-80E8-0F8BD10F74F1.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Brad said:

After Bathing at Baxter’s - Jefferson Airplane 

53957B07-AE10-4E31-80E8-0F8BD10F74F1.jpeg

A Desert Island disc for me.  Incredible album.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now there's some fine music:

Image result for sam cooke the man who invented soul"

Edited by danasgoodstuff

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, danasgoodstuff said:

Now there's some fine music:

Image result for sam cooke the man who invented soul"

A lot of crap too, as I recall. The only essential Sam is the songs he wrote -- or at least took credit for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

A lot of crap too, as I recall. The only essential Sam is the songs he wrote -- or at least took credit for.

I couldn't disagree more. Sam Cooke was simply great!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Simon8 said:

Jorgeben_samba_esquema_novo.jpg

👍Yep👍....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, EKE BBB said:

I couldn't disagree more. Sam Cooke was simply great!

Definitely! 

I picked this up recently.  I’m not sure what I was thinking except that I must have liked it when I was younger. Except for Darlin and one or two other songs, the songs seemed flat, or thin (as one reviewer labeled it).

9F3511EF-4F88-45FE-AA9E-A7B3CB3B3B6D.jpeg

45 minutes ago, Simon8 said:

Jorgeben_samba_esquema_novo.jpg

Nice one. 

Edited by Brad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Brad said:

Definitely! 

I picked this up recently.  I’m not sure what I was thinking except that I must have liked it when I was younger. Except for Darlin and one or two other songs, the songs seemed flat, or thin (as one reviewer labeled it).

9F3511EF-4F88-45FE-AA9E-A7B3CB3B3B6D.jpeg

 

It has its ragged charms ("Here Comes The Night", "I Was Made To Love Her"),. and  "Darlin" is pretty great, but it's no 'Pet Sounds' for sure, and is really very slight (both album sides run right at 12 minutes each).  I own it and am glad I do, and play it and their other albums from 'Smiley Smile' through 'Holland' often enough (and play 'Today', 'Summer Days and Summer Nights', and 'Pet Sounds' a lot more).  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite Sam Cooke single was his Tennessee Waltz, which was popular around August of '64 as I recall.  I think his estate owns it, and I don't see it re-released like I do his other hits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GA Russell said:

My favorite Sam Cooke single was his Tennessee Waltz, which was popular around August of '64 as I recall.  I think his estate owns it, and I don't see it re-released like I do his other hits.

That is the case with a lot of the cuts recorded in the last year or so of his life.  Here's the best way to get them:  My favorite by him is the immortal "A Change Is Gonna Come", though I also like a lot of the hits such as "Wonderful World", "Chain Gang", "Twistin' the Night Away", "Havin' A Party", "Cupid", "Shake".

Image result for sam cooke keep movin on"

Image result for sam cooke keep movin on"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

John, the New Orleans radio stations of my youth abstained from songs of liberal politics.  So A Change is Gonna Come, Eve of Destruction, Abraham, Martin & John and Society's Child did not see the light of day there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The old RCA comp The Man and His Music was my introduction to Sam. IMO the song selection was perfect; unfortunately the sound was atrocious. It took me four different sources to recreate the playlist with remastered versions: 

Complete Recordings of Sam Cooke with the Soul Stirrers
Keep Movin' On 
The Man Who Invented Soul
Portrait of a Legend

samcooke.jpg

Edited by Captain Howdy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.