Dmitry

BFT 182 link and discussion

21 posts in this topic

Track 7

"Don't Take Your Love from Me" from Milt Jackson and Coleman Hawkins, Bean Bags

Track 8

Junior Mance, "Gee Baby, Ain't I Good to You"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#5 has to be a Blue Note cut with Bobby Hutcherson, doesn't it?  Having trouble placing it, but I know I am (more accurately have been) familiar with it.  Love the rhythm section on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

This is a really fun BFT to listen to. I don’t know the song or album on Track 3, but it sounds like Gene Ammons and Wynton Kelly to me. 

Edited by Hot Ptah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2019 at 2:32 AM, BillF said:

Track 7

"Don't Take Your Love from Me" from Milt Jackson and Coleman Hawkins, Bean Bags

Track 8

Junior Mance, "Gee Baby, Ain't I Good to You"

7. Yep.

8.  You are close, they both came out of the blues, but it's not Mance.

On 5/8/2019 at 10:20 AM, felser said:

#5 has to be a Blue Note cut with Bobby Hutcherson, doesn't it?  Having trouble placing it, but I know I am (more accurately have been) familiar with it.  Love the rhythm section on it.

5. Nope. :D

17 hours ago, Hot Ptah said:

This is a really fun BFT to listen to. I don’t know the song or album on Track 3, but it sounds like Gene Ammons and Wynton Kelly to me. 

3. It is Jug. Good ear!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-7176946-1435441251-1452.jpeg.jpg

R-5881890-1405301711-8888.jpeg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MI0000019108.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, JSngry said:

MI0000019108.jpg

Right, #5 is "Mr. Bond" from that.  Great album! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-3554211-1523739166-9754.jpeg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

0001965584.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

R-671544-1549540414-7383.jpeg.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sangrey is slammin’...got the Mustang too..that was my ace in the hole. 😡

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Dmitry said:

Sangrey is slammin’...got the Mustang too..that was my ace in the hole. 😡

You might get a kick out of the fact that I had an intense bout of CRS last night when listening to this BFT for the first time. I knew that song, knew that record, knew it was some Blue Note boogaloo, but could not for the life of me remember which one it was. Bugged the piss outta me too, went to bed thinking about it, running through possibilities, nothing clicked. And I knew I had this record too...but that didn't help. Not just brain farts, brain....implosion.

But I woke up this morning, started hearing the riff in my head and just said, oh yeah, Mustang, Donald Byrd, Curtis Amy, Verve. Hog on bari. Of course!!! Literally rolled out of bed and there it all was in the head.

I tell you, I'm only 63, but the cognitive powers are not what they used to be. Well, they are, but it takes longer now for them to get going

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, JSngry said:

I tell you, I'm only 63, but the cognitive powers are not what they used to be. Well, they are, but it takes longer now for them to get going

Yeah, I'm 64, and go through frequent bouts of "I used to know that..." such as with the great Paul Horn cut on #5, sports knowledge, history, passwords, names of people I see in hallways at work (very large company and I've been here 38 years) all sorts of things.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never before heard the name Curtis Amy.  I did look up information and found that he participated in some high-profile rock and soul projects--The Doors, Carole King, Marvin Gaye, etc.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Milestones said:

I have never before heard the name Curtis Amy.  I did look up information and found that he participated in some high-profile rock and soul projects--The Doors, Carole King, Marvin Gaye, etc.

 

 

 

And also...

R-4049206-1353535970-5202.jpeg.jpg

a fine little set indeed!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was married to Merry Clayton, who has had quite a career, but is mainly known (and rightfully so) for the "rape murder, it's just a shot away" sequence in the Stones masterpiece, "Gimme Shelter".  She absolutely steals the documentary "20 Feet From Stardom" from the other participants, especially with her story of how she came to participate in that song.  She also cut a few fine solo albums in the early 70's.  Amy was 19 years her senior, but it all seemed to work:

Image result for curtis amy married to merry clayton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KATANGA!   (I needed to shout.) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that Jim and Co. figured out most of the tracks, but not all yet  - what is the common audible characteristic among all of these cuts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

vinyl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, JSngry said:

vinyl

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.