Peggy Lipton, RIP

Most of my friends connect her with Twin Peaks, which I missed the boat on (didn't have TV when it was first airing & have never gotten around to watching it, serious cultural oversight on my part that I need to eventually correct), but I certainly remember watching her a lot as a kid when Mod Squad was in syndicated reruns during the 1970s.  (P.S.  Not related to Peggy Lipton, but if anybody has an interest in David Lynch, this documentary is well worth checking out:  David Lynch: The Art Life)

1 hour ago, JSngry said:

You guys who missed Twin Peaks...pretty intense stuff!

I always thought Twin Peaks was just weird. I could never get really into it. I watched it but I stopped after a bit. Given its short life, I imagine that I wasn't the only one.

I mean, really, WTF?

This was during the days of VCRs and I remember playing that scene back many times. I never did figure out what the hell it was ll about.

Double WTF...

It was weird as fuck. But it had lots of pretty girls, and Jimmy Scott sang a song on one episode. 

Besides, David Lynch, you want meaning, look elsewhere. He'll give you one hella good story, but "meaning" is not necessarily gonna be part of the deal.

Yeah there were huge ratings at first but eventually people dropping off I think because it was weird for the sake of weirdness and wasn't getting anywhere on the point of the story which was "who killed Laura Palmer?"  I do remember at the start being totally engrossed and entertained with a lot of deadpan laugh out loud moments.   The pretty girls helped me thru to the end; never saw the revival a couple of years ago.

Anyway I remember a few Mod Squad shows in syndication when I was much younger but did not really take note of Ms. Lipton until Twin Peaks.  RIP.

The revival is said to have sucked. I did not engage.

I remember thinking that Lynch doing a series, period, was going to be, uh...interesting. My impression is that when he realized he had a hit on his hands (at first) that he was going to have to keep delivering episodes, and I don't think he was ready to either want and/or to do that.

Fire, Walk With Me wrapped it all up pretty good, though, as far as the "who killed Laura Palmer and why" thing. But really, I never really cared who killed her. JR in the shower it coulda been for all I cared. Not what I was watching for. And in answering the question, I think he devalued the series. He shoulda just left it hanging, forever. That shit was made to hand forever, if you know what I mean, you want answers, get an encyclopedia.

People who dig Jimmy Scott owe David Lynch and the series a BIG debt of gratitude. It was there that he was pulled out of waaaaay to

o obscure cult status and given a normal-ish career that would last him until his death.

I SO remember being transfixed by that song and that singer and just who the fuck was THAT?

His big "breakout" record played off of his appearance in the Red Room, check out the floor. Not exact, but if you had been watching the show, you got the inference.

MI0003515977.jpg

also, iirc, it was Peggy Lipton who was with Quincy Jones when he had those aneurysms and nearly died, she's the one who got the doctors and ambulances on it. Given the disparity of opinion about Quincy Jones in these parts, one can either thank her or damn her for that.