Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mikeweil

Tito Puente in the 1940' and 1950's

79 posts in this topic

I will stick to the LPs in roughly chronological order. But give me time. Puente's music is heavy stuff, and I need to listen to other things inbetween to avoid getting nervous from all that flaming brass.

Still finding and learning new thingss and tracks. 

The short "outtake" of Four Beat Cha Cha" is on a "Best Of ..." CD that I was able to order but will only get in two weeks.

R-4978688-1563881455-3845.jpeg.jpg

There is a "Best Of Dance Mania" CD that includes several outtakes not found in the Deluxe double CD of these two albums:

R-7947031-1452207244-1539.jpeg.jpg

The CD "Hong Kong Mambo" really is a re-titled "Dance Mania" with two outtakes added, one of these never was issued anywhere else. The subtitle "The RCA Years, Vol.1 raises expectations that never were fulfilled.

R-9654255-1484270712-1469.jpeg.jpg

I finally decided to get me a copy of Joe Conzo's book, and do not regret it. In fact I find it a much more satisfying and informative read than Powell's book. The "discography" is a joke, just listing albums, but at least it led me to the last of the three CDs I just mentioned. 

81eB5jZFaDL.jpg

On 7/30/2020 at 0:53 PM, mikeweil said:

"I tend to think that the people responsible for the two box sets didn't really care or whatever - if they had wanted to do the job right, the data were all there, they just have had to invest some research hours!"

I believe that there is a not-so-subtle discrimination built into issues and reissues of Latin jazz, "salsa", mambo, etc.  There is often/usually a lack of info, a paucity of tracks, feeble remastering.  I think it is due to people at companies believing that anyone who buys these won't care, so why should they.  If non-white non-Euro-Americans buying:  why worry about the details?

1 hour ago, Adam said:

I believe that there is a not-so-subtle discrimination built into issues and reissues of Latin jazz, "salsa", mambo, etc.  There is often/usually a lack of info, a paucity of tracks, feeble remastering.  I think it is due to people at companies believing that anyone who buys these won't care, so why should they.  If non-white non-Euro-Americans buying:  why worry about the details?

Could well be. The picture is really inconsistent. The majority of reissues has no complete credits and dates, but there are a few listing them. 

I'm currently reading Max Salazar's book, Mambo Kingdom, which I heartily recommend as basic introduction into the US Latin music scene from the early 20th century on. He tells about a warehouse holding the archive of Gabriel Oller, one of the most important figures in promoting and recording the music. His nephew knew nothing about the value of the thousands of 78rpm and contracts with full details his uncle has kept, had it all dumped and the building demolished. A devastating story.

61H1FITAmQL.jpg