LF: Mosaic Larry Young box set

I am looking to buy the Mosaic Larry Young Complete Blue Note Recordings (6 CD) box set at a fair (i.e., non-eBay) price.

All (box, booklet, jewel cases, CDs) should be in nice condition.

If anyone has a set they are willing to sell, please send me a pm with details about price (shipped) and condition.

Thanks,

I have one I bought used back around 2001 (off eBay). But it’s just the CD’s, jewel boxes, inserts - but NO big box or booklet.

Then I did pick up a slightly water-damaged booklet from a board member a few years later (but again no box).

If you can’t come up with one in as nice a condition as you’re looking for, let me know, and I’d be glad to figure out a fair price.

In fact, I’d be glad to have you pay Jim (a Big O board contribution) as my donation (your direct donation) towards the feeding and upkeep of this forum (and I’ll pay the entire cost of shipping out of my own pocket).

Not precisely what you’re looking for, but it’d be all the music, and all the proceeds would be going NOT to me, but to the board.

No hurry, feel free to keep your eyes out for more of what you’re looking for, my set isn’t going anywhere soon.

47 minutes ago, Rooster_Ties said:

I have one I bought used back around 2001 (off eBay). But it’s just the CD’s, jewel boxes, inserts - but NO big box or booklet.

Then I did pick up a slightly water-damaged booklet from a board member a few years later (but again no box).

If you can’t come up with one in as nice a condition as you’re looking for, let me know, and I’d be glad to figure out a fair price.

In fact, I’d be glad to have you pay Jim (a Big O board contribution) as my donation (your direct donation) towards the feeding and upkeep of this forum (and I’ll pay the entire cost of shipping out of my own pocket).

Not precisely what you’re looking for, but it’d be all the music, and all the proceeds would be going NOT to me, but to the board.

No hurry, feel free to keep your eyes out for more of what you’re looking for, my set isn’t going anywhere soon.

Thanks for the offer. I appreciate it.

I would like to to get one with the big box and booklet but I will definitely keep your offer in mind in case I have a hard time finding a complete set.

Thanks again.

Edited by pglbook

26 minutes ago, bluesForBartok said:

Thanks. I have looked at discogs and recently reached out to two Sellers on there but no luck.

About 3 weeks ago I e-mailed the Seller of the only reasonably-priced set on there (the one listed for $90). It took him 2 weeks to get back to me and his copy has a box in poor condition. I doubt I would have done business with him in any event, even if his set had been in better shape, given his poor communication/customer service (which I have found to be a problem with quite a few Sellers on discogs).

I also e-mailed the discogs Seller located in the U.K. a few weeks ago but his set lacks the large book and international shipping would have been expensive.

Edited by pglbook

Discogs is real hit-or-miss. Had a seller from Pittsburgh last year refuse to issue a refund on scratched Dave Liebman CD which was returned to him via tracking, then left me negative feedback claiming I was a horrible customer- very unpleasant and professional. 

Otherwise, many Discogs sellers are reliable and quick to respond in getting discs out while some tend to operate in a vacuum bubble taking their time...

Good luck and hope all are well.

21 hours ago, pglbook said:

I am looking to buy the Mosaic Larry Young Complete Blue Note Recordings (6 CD) box set at a fair (i.e., non-eBay) price.

All (box, booklet, jewel cases, CDs) should be in nice condition.

If anyone has a set they are willing to sell, please send me a pm with details about price (shipped) and condition.

Thanks,

What would be a fair price or price range depending on condition?

44 minutes ago, mesfen said:

What would be a fair price or price range depending on condition?

According to my research of sold prices, it looks like nice sets have sold for $120-$140.

I just missed out on a mint set that Dusty Groove had for sale about a month ago for $140. 

Discogs lists the median sold price on its site as $119, and the highest sold price on its site as $155.

Edited by pglbook

That $90 box set on discogs doesn't sound too bad and the seller has good feedback. COVID-19 is delaying a lot of things so I would give the seller the benefit of doubt here.

If you're worried about the box hinge being ripped, don't. Those box hinges used to fail all the time. You could pay $140 for one with an intact hinge and it could fail on you the third time you flipped it open. Then you'd have the same condition box for an extra $50. :)

I was glad when Mosaic got rid of those hinges, particularly with LP sets. That hinge was almost guaranteed to fail on heavy LP sets. I've toyed with idea of using a razor to cut off all of my hinges so that when they do fail, they won't rip the boxes.

38 minutes ago, bresna said:

That $90 box set on discogs doesn't sound too bad and the seller has good feedback. COVID-19 is delaying a lot of things so I would give the seller the benefit of doubt here.

If you're worried about the box hinge being ripped, don't. Those box hinges used to fail all the time. You could pay $140 for one with an intact hinge and it could fail on you the third time you flipped it open. Then you'd have the same condition box for an extra $50. :)

I was glad when Mosaic got rid of those hinges, particularly with LP sets. That hinge was almost guaranteed to fail on heavy LP sets. I've toyed with idea of using a razor to cut off all of my hinges so that when they do fail, they won't rip the boxes.

Definitely, most of my sets, bought new, now are ripped.

Edited by porcy62