RIP Peter King

sgcim

This is very sad news, although I was aware that he had been ill for some time.

Last time I saw him was at Swanage - about 3 or 4 years ago. His playing as usual was sensational, not putting a foot wrong and as BillF says - truly world class.

Not only was he a world-class saxophonist but he was also world-class in the area of model aeronautics, I believe.

RIP - irreplaceable on our local scene.

Just recalled that the first time I saw him must have been circa 1980 at Ronnie Scott’s, when he was a member of Bill Le Sage’s ‘Bebop Preservation Society’, sharing the front line with trumpeter Hank Shaw.

Some lovely tribute comments on that London Jazz News site. 

If I remember correctly he also demonstrated Bird’s Grafton sax when it was sold by Sotheby’s. Totally fitting.

Edited by sidewinder

15 minutes ago, sidewinder said:

If I remember correctly he also demonstrated Bird’s Grafton sax when it was sold by Sotheby’s. Totally fitting.

Yes, indeed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjY1NPUUp9U

The last two times I saw him were at Wigan and Southport respectively, the first about 12 years ago in a scorching quintet with Alan Skidmore, the second about 4 years later with the Tubby Hayes Memorial Big Band, again with Skidmore. The second was one of the most swinging gigs I've ever attended, which is saying something! :excited:

6 hours ago, Peter Friedman said:

Peter King was a fine British jazz musician .  Just pulled off the shelf the CD  titled" Tippin' The Scales" by a group called Perfect Pitch. The front line has Dick Morrissey on tenor, and Peter King on alto. Will play it later today.

Great album!