XLD - Anyone Use This for Ripping CDs?

Teasing the Korean

For several years, I have successfully used Switch Sound File Converter to change audio formats. It is free. It will do up to five tracks at a time.

The existence of so many different file types is a pain. WAV and CDA are easy to work with, and (don't tell anyone) I find that 320 mp3 sounds good, too. Nero won't accept FLAC. FLAC is a nuisance: it is said to sound great, but what good is that when it won't play on any program on my computer? This reminds me of an SACD disk of "Blue Trane" which I bought because it has an extra take of the title track. The sound on that was so good that I was unable to hear it! I eventually hacked the music, but I forget how I did it. It wasn't a pirate disk and I was annoyed that it wouldn't play. They should have issued the music on a 24 bit CD. Flanders and Swann sang a song called "High Fidelity". "All the highest notes, Neither sharp nor flat, The ear can't hear as high as that, But I thought I'd please any passing bat, With my High Fidelitee.".

Video files are a major bear. There are about 15 types. My old X Box will only play AVI videos, so I regularly have to convert to that format. I mention this to recommend Format Factory. It is also free and does a great job of converting from any video format to any other. I am regularly stuck with mp4, which will only play on the computer.

I hope this helps.

Switch is an excellent converting software, as are all the programs from NCH I have used. You can buy a long term license for very fair fees.

https://www.nchsoftware.com/index.html

VLC media player will play any file type, AFAIK. https://en.vlc.de/vlc_download.php

Edited by mikeweil

6 hours ago, JSngry said:

I still use Foobar for file conversions, but don't do Apple, so it might not be of use to you?

This says yes, but I don't personally can vouch for that.

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?topic=89511.0

I use Foobar for playing music, converting and burning stuff like compilations to CDR. I rip CDs using itunes. It's a flaming nusance when it keeps wanting me to sign in to the itunes store and stops ripping if it does that during a rip, but I haven't worked out how to get Foobar to rip a CD while it's playing something else to me.

WMP will do a rip for me, I think, but that programme insists on tracking down every bit of music on my hard drive before it does a hand's turn; after three days of searching, it hadn't finished so I gave up.

MG