Dreaming About a Non-Existent Version of Round Midnight

Teasing the Korean

I dreamed I was hearing a space-age bachelor pad arrangement of "Round Midnight."  It was played at its usual ballad tempo, but arranged for a big band with an extended percussion section.  It started out with a gong hit.  Overall, the arrangement fell someplace between Bob Thompson's brilliant arrangements for Felix Slatkin's Fantastic Percussion and Dean Elliott's over-the-top Zounds What Sounds.  The contrast between the tune itself and arrangement was hilarious.  I wish it existed.

1 hour ago, danasgoodstuff said:

(9) Joe Jackson - Round Midnight - YouTube   how 'bout this one?  Starts with a gong 'n everything.

That is nice!  I have that LP, but couldn't even begin to tell you when I spun it last.  I have spun in more recent decades the Todd track ("Four in One"), which is actually kind of close to the Dean Elliott album I posted above.  

Edited by Teasing the Korean

1 minute ago, Teasing the Korean said:

That is nice!  I have that LP, but couldn't even begin to tell you when I spun it last.  I have spun in more recent decades the Todd track (Four in One), which is actually kind of close to the Dean Elliott album I posted above.  

Glad you liked it, just popped into my head as soon as I read your post.

On 9/21/2021 at 8:58 AM, Teasing the Korean said:

I dreamed I was hearing a space-age bachelor pad arrangement of "Round Midnight.”…

How’s this bouncy, upbeat arrangement from the Arkestra float your boat then?

Ra recorded and played the tune much earlier too (late 50’s for one). But iirc, this more ‘spritely’ arrangement was only in the bands book from around 1980 (that’s when this one was recorded), plus or minus 3-4 years — or something like that, I’ve always assumed.

Edited by Rooster_Ties