Miles Davis' soloing.

Hardbopjazz

During his early days with Charlie Parker and even when he recorded for Blue Note, Miles was playing a lot of note when he soloed. Then as he progressed through his Prestige years and on, the barrage of notes dropped. He began playing fewer notes. Now I am sure this was deliberate, but why the change? I think less note gave him a distinct sound that said MILES.

But listen to the airchecks with Tadd Dameron at the Royal Roost in 1949--and you hear a preview of things to come, as you do on occasional other early dates--the original "Milestones" with Bird on tenor, and his solo on "Out of Nowhere" with Bird at the Roost.

I wonder if Miles was conscious of the change? When Bird started to play the notes outside of what was typically being played, the flatted 5th and the use different cords inversion, he realized he'd stumbled onto something different. To borrow a cliché, I wonder if Miles knew he found the road less traveled and then took it. Most trumpet players appeared to be playing a lot of notes when they were soloing back in the late 40’s. Nothing wrong with that, it was apart of bop. Being conscious of this, was Miles aware that this type of playing would lead to a new style of jazz, Cool? Did he set out to re-event jazz already at this point in his career? I believe he did.

Just a couple of points: First: I think Miles was one of the most aware musicians ever. He listened to what was around him, and listened to himself closely. So any change of style by Davis was a conscious choice by him. Second: A more spare soling style was not a "road less traveled." Quick runs might have been the style for bop, but Miles did know the prebop trumpet tradition, and was influenced by that style. So, in some ways, Miles was solidly in the tradition. Third: When Coltrane left the Davis Quintet, there was another shift in the way Davis played. He played with much more power, a ferocious style. Then, of course, Miles again played differently during his "electric years". So, I quess what I'm saying, is that to my mind, there is no single way or style that Miles played, his genius lies in the fact he always was hearing something new and changed to play what he heard.

I think he figured out that he could either work hard in one way and get the results that everybody else got, or work hard in another way and get the results that HE wanted to get.

Nothing worse than busting your ass and not liking the results.