October 2004 Connoisseur Release (Proposed)

Kevin Bresnahan

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, the Rivers is really the best of the whole bunch -- much as I personally like the Hill and Young dates.

For all of you who want the Ervin/Shaw date, which one of the six Conn titles announced in this thread, would you be willing to do without in October, in order to get it???????? (Meaning, to get "Back from the Gig" in Oct., we gotta give up one of the other six.)

For me, it'd probably be "Now!". Or maybe the Silver, but that seems like a lock, since it's been in the pipeline for something like 6 months now (and I'm sure they won't back off on it now).

Yeah, the Rivers is really the best of the whole bunch -- much as I personally like the Hill and Young dates.

For all of you who want the Ervin/Shaw date, which one of the six Conn titles announced in this thread, would you be willing to do without in October, in order to get it???????? (Meaning, to get "Back from the Gig" in Oct., we gotta give up one of the other six.)

For me, it'd probably be "Now!". Or maybe the Silver, but that seems like a lock, since it's been in the pipeline for something like 6 months now (and I'm sure they won't back off on it now).

I'd give up the Sam Rivers or the Larry Young this time. I have both Mosaic sets already and I don't need these titles. Heck, the Rivers set hasn't even been OOP that long.

I would figure that many people who buy Conns would already have the Rivers Mosaic.

Bobby Hutcherson – Now! - Includes Hutcherson's set from "Blue Note Meets The LA Philharmonic" which includes different versions of three of the tunes from NOW

Anybody got their complete BN discography handy?? (Mine's buried in boxes, as we're redoing our library.)

Who's on the bonus material from the "LA Philharmonic" date?? Any vocalists?? When was it recorded, relative to the "Now!" sessions.

Off to see if I can find any of this info on the AMG, thought their info is often spotty for Various Artists kinds of releases, especially vinyl-only stuff from the 70's.

(Or thanks in advance, if any body can provide the session info for me.)

EDIT: Not much in the AMG. Just the tracks, really, and the fact it was released in 1978.

2. Slow Change performed by Bobby Hutcherson

3. Now performed by Bobby Hutcherson

4. Hello to the Wind performed by Bobby Hutcherson

5. Now (Reprise) performed by Bobby Hutcherson

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Nice one, John! :tup

admit it Jeff, it's crap! death floats too close to hill's head for comfort. but the drawing (of the boney guy) is AWESOME!

I see you found that ancient drawing too (first google image search: "dance with death," elementary... ;) ); glad you took it to more substantial things than I did.

the pic of hill you used I have always found strange, doesn't look one bit like him I find.

The Booker Ervin was swapped out and replaced with Wilson's "Easterly Winds" because of the production costs associated with new artwork. I guess it adds about $2K for new artwork so the Ervin got shelved. Maybe next batch.

BTW, I forwarded:

post-6-1083703866.jpg to Michael and we had a great fucking laugh at that! What a great cover. He's forwarding it to Patrick Roques. Maybe Patrick will use it... :D

BTW II, I mentioned the animated gifs (again) to Michael and he told me that he actually had them E-mailed to him by Dexter Gordon's widow. Watch out what you guys say about LTD... his widow may be watching... like anyone here would have a bad thing to say about Dex!

Later,

Kevin

Who's on the bonus material from the "LA Philharmonic" date??  Any vocalists??  When was it recorded, relative to the "Now!" sessions.

LA, August 13, 1977

Manny Boyd (ts, sop), Bobby Hutcherson (vib), George Cables (p), James Leary (bass), Eddie Marshall (d), Bobbye Porter (perc).

Luca

BTW, I forwarded: [ cover ] to Michael and we had a great fucking laugh at that! What a great cover. He's forwarding it to Patrick Roques. Maybe Patrick will use it... :D

BTW II, I mentioned the animated gifs (again) to Michael and he told me that he actually had them E-mailed to him by Dexter Gordon's widow. Watch out what you guys say about LTD... his widow may be watching... like anyone here would have a bad thing to say about Dex!

Later,

Kevin

:g

to clear the rights of the drawing, contact Francois Boucq. He may leave it be as he seems to be as crazy as a hoot. :party:

Mrs. Gordon complimented me on my little (simplistic) gif creation herself. I was quite flattered. -_-

thanks for sharing our fun with the BN headquarters, glad they seem to like it too. :tup

...because of the production costs associated with new artwork. I guess it adds about $2K for new artwork so the Ervin got shelved. Maybe next batch.

geez... at the rate AB and couw get going on this stuff Michael oughta set em up in a hoyty toyty Stamford victorian for a week and see what flies. :tup

Yeah, we can do it for free. :g

...because of the production costs associated with new artwork. I guess it adds about $2K for new artwork so the Ervin got shelved. Maybe next batch.

geez... at the rate AB and couw get going on this stuff Michael oughta set em up in a hoyty toyty Stamford victorian for a week and see what flies. :tup

no way man! A guy needs to live! Most essential is that you get enough liquid. I propose beer and I propose it's on the house.

no way man! A guy needs to live! Most essential is that you get enough liquid. I propose beer and I propose it's on the house.

:lol:

Works for me!

:lol:

bl7%20154_thumb.jpg

(Click on the cover itself, to see a larger version)

By the way, I sure the heck hope they DON'T use this cover for the Conn. And I'm sure they probably won't. There are a few of those Japanese King covers that I really do like, but the King of the Hill is pretty much a looser in my book. :tdown