Curb Your Enthusiasm

Einstein gets around, doesn't he? I remember him from the Smothers Brothers show, and who doesn't remember Super Dave? One of those guys who can be counted on to consistenly deliver the goods in a very understated manner that ends up being all the funnier precisely because of its understatedness.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Einstein gets around, doesn't he? I remember him from the Smothers Brothers show, and who doesn't remember Super Dave? One of those guys who can be counted on to consistenly deliver the goods in a very understated manner that ends up being all the funnier precisely because of its understatedness.

He has always been one of the best guests Letterman has had on his show(s)

Another Curb fan here. The funniest show on TV.

I find it's a show you have to watch a few times to get into the 'rhythm' of it. Once you know that everything Larry does or says is going to come back to bite him in the ass, the smallest actions and comments take on huge and hilarious significance (which i guess is why some people watch it and just 'don't get' what's funny). For that reason many of the episodes are actually funnier on second viewing as you can enjoy the disperate strands of the story coming together. It rewards repeated viewings and it's not often you can say that about a show.

Richard Lewis is fine with me. I understand why people might find him irritating but I find his arguments with Larry hilarious. Ditto the appearances by Ted Danson!

Season three is probably my favourite so far. Every episode a classic.

Isn't Einstein the brother of Albert Brooks?

Man, Brooks would be great on CYE.  Does he ever make an appearance?

Yes, I believe he is.

Yes, I agree, No, I don't think he has.

As far as I'm concerned, Albert Brooks is the pioneer of what some now call "cringe comedy," exemplified by shows like Curb... and The Office.

Check out his early movies Real Life(1979) and Modern Romance(1981) if you want confirmation.

(Actually, come to think of it, the real mother of "cringe comedy" may be Elaine May, with her mortifyingly funny The Heartbreak Kid(1972), starring Charles Grodin.)

Brooks's brother, Bob Einstein, has a hilarious bit as the running shoe salesman in Modern Romance.

Edited by Kalo

While the original British version is much better, the American Office is still quite funny. Their Gareth (Dwight) is a HUGE dropoff in comedy in acting, but otherwise the show is solid.

Of course, Arrested Development (until its cancelled) is still BY FAR the funniest show on network TV.

While the original British version is much better, the American Office is still quite funny.  Their Gareth (Dwight) is a HUGE dropoff in comedy in acting, but otherwise the show is solid.

Of course, Arrested Development (until its cancelled) is still BY FAR the funniest show on network TV.

two very debatable statements!!

Everyone see Rob Courddry from the Daily Show on this past week's episode as the sexual offender neighbor?

This was one of the better shows in an otherwise (unfortunately) weak season.

Yes, I saw that seder episode, and I enjoyed it.

This season, so far, has generally seemed maybe a bit more forced than seasons past. It's still a superior show, overall, and I look forward to it.

Gotta love the "Louis Lewis" schticklach. I also always look forward to the scenes where Susie Essman (as Susie Greene) has a tirade against Larry David and/or Jeff.

I don't get HBO, so I had to wait until these came out on DVD before I saw them. In the last year or so have rented all first four seasons - very funny show! Susie Essman really cracks me up! There seems no limit to how many times Larry can get onto peoples' shit lists!

Essman is wonderful.

I've only seen the first season but I'm hoping there'll be more of her going off as she did in the first season episode entitled The Wire. (Jeff invites a wayward youth into his home and the kid steals everything of value in sight, including Jeff's and Susie's wedding video. Cripes! Talk about cringe comedy!)

HBO

How did you get cast on Curb Your Enthusiasm?

Susie

The first season there was a scene where the kid who Jeff Garlin sponsors robs our house...

HBO

From the episode called "The Wire." I think that was the first time your character really screamed at Jeff and Larry?

Susie

Exactly. Larry had that scene in mind and he was auditioning actresses in L.A. for it. Then he saw me on Comedy Central, performing at the Jerry Stiller Friar's Roast. And it was like "Bingo!" He had seen me doing standup from years before but when he saw me on that special he thought "this is a woman who could handle that language." And he just called me and offered me the part. I didn't have to audition or anything. It was great!

Edited by Chaney