Sinatra: Perfectly Frank & After Hours

Guest Chaney

Guest Chaney

1764.gif16225.gif

World Records is having a sale on certain, ahem, rare Sinatra titles, including these two gems which compile songs performed by Frank for his short-lived mid-fifties radio show, To Be Perfectly Frank.

The liner notes from Perfectly Frank:

Frank Sinatra had several of his own radio shows from 1943 to 1956.  But, arguably the best was his last, the twice weekly 15-minute "To Be Perfectly Frank" series on NBC, circa '53-'55.

The format was simple, yet unusual for Sinatra, play the top records of the day and have Frank sing one song live, supported by a small swinging ensemble featuring Frank's long-time pianist, Bill Miller.

Surprising to many will be the amount of classic American standards included in these live performances that, to this day, Frank has not recorded.

A wonderful late-night, soft-light, small room atmosphere was prevalent throughout these broadcasts enhancing the intimacy of Frank's interpretations.  Here is F.S. at the top of his game displaying a relaxed, buoyant feeling on the rhythm tunes and adding an unmatched beauty and warmth to the ballads.

Not before or since has such a treasure trove of brilliant Sinatra emerged from a radio or TV series in which he has starred.

~~~~~~~~~

Accompanying musicians varied throughout the series.  After making inquiries with musicians Local #47 in Los Angeles and NBC, no definite information pertaining to the musical personnel could be obtained.  However, in all probability, some of the following musicians did appear on the show at one time or another:

Piano:  Bill Miller, Graham Forbes

Drums:  Johnny Blowers, Alvin Stoller

Bass:  John Ryan, Joe Comfort

Guitar:  Tony Mattola, Alan Reuss

Reeds and Flute:  Sonny Salad, Abe Most

Each is wonderful.

$10 each.

A steal.

:tup

Guest Chaney

One might PM the starter of this thread. :w

There's really not too much Capitol session material available (as compared to Reprise), but here's what I have:

FROM THE VAULTS which has outtakes of Nice N' Easy, I Thought About You, Weep They Will, Same Old Song and Dance, Where Or When, Stars Fell On Alabama, What Is This Thing Called Love, I Got Plenty O' Nothin', Easy To Love, You And The Night And The Music.

FROM THE VAULTS TWO AND MORE: What Is This Thing Called Love, The Tender Trap, Moonlight In Vermont, Lush Life, Willow Weep For Me, Gone With The Wind, She's Funny That Way, How Deep Is The Ocean. The "And More" = I've Got The World On A Strain & Day In, Day Out (live BBC broadcast 1953) and Take A Chance (live 1954); and tracks from the 1957 / 1958 television series.

RAREST CAPITOL SESSIONS: Soliloquy, Weep They Will, Five Hundred Guys, Something Wonderful Happens In Summer, Nothing In Common (w/ Keely Smith), How Are Ya Fixed For Love (w/ Keely Smith), Same Old Song And Dance, Here Goes, To Love And Be Loved, I Could't Care Less.

RAREST CAPITOL SESSIONS VOLUME II: Talk To Me, When No One Cares, I'll Never Smile Again, Dream, She's Funny That Way, Mam'selle, How Deep Is The Ocean, Moonlight In Vermont, The Tender Trap.

SINGLES SESSIONS 1955, 1956 & 1958: Soliloquy, Weep They Will (same as on Vaults), Five Hundred Guys, Something Wonderful Happens In Summer, Nothing In Common (w/ Keely Smith), How Are Ya Fixed For Love (w/ Keely Smith), Same Old Song And Dance (same as on Vaults), Here Goes, To Love And Be Loved, I Couldn't Care Less.

Of course, there's also live material from that era featuring the Capitol material.

~~~~~~~~~~~

Heading out the door as I just got word from my secretary that my Dusty Groove order has arrived! :party:

Guest Chaney

Now that's a well-trained secretary! ^_^

She's a wonderful person. :wub:

Tony-

Watch out for Nancy....!!!!!!

:g

If it were up to Our Dear Nancy, we'd never get to hear this wonderful music.

Although, to be fair, I don't believe Nance minds too much those who trade this stuff. Just don't sell and don't discuss these musically historic gems on her board.

~~~~~~~~~

International Sinatra Society

Still in business.

Best to give them a call or subscribe to their newsletter.

ON THE EDIT: The International Sinatra Society site / link now shows: Account for domain sinatraclub.com has been suspended. :(

Edited by Chaney

I also highly recommend both of these titles, which are an absolute steal at $10 a piece. Sinatra is in excellent voice on these recordings, and there are a number of titles contained on "Perfectly Frank" that he never commercially recorded, namely: This Can't Be Love, Love Me Or Leave Me, I'll String Along With You, You Took Advantage Of Me, Just You Just Me, Them There Eyes, Somebody Loves Me, I'm In The Mood For Love, S'Wonderful, Under A Blanket Of Blue, Sometimes I'm Happy, Don't Blame Me, Thou Swell, I'm Confessin', Out Of Nowhere, Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea, Tenderly, You Must Have Been A Beautiful Baby, Hands Across The Table, and If I Could Be With You. I am not sure if "FS After Hours" contains any songs not commercially recorded by Sinatra.

• 5 months later...
Guest Chaney

If you're into that Rat Pack thang, more... ahem... grey area Sinatra, this time offered by some little outfit named Amazon.

B0002XMENG.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Album Description

Two dynamic live shows, on two CDs, from Dino, Frank, & Sammy - at The Sands Hotel, Las Vegas in 1963, & in St. Louis with The Count Basie band in 1965. Castle Pulse/Sanctuary. 2004.

Two CDs at $11.99 (or less). Good deal.

Amazon

Also, Live at Blackpool Opera House [iMPORT]

This show like most, reflected the renewed confidence that Sinatra displayed generally throughout this 1953 UK tour. Sinatra singing in often inspired but casual mode, almost providing a stand-up routine between songs playing everything by ear. Billy Ternent's Orchestra, an aggregation usually connected with an ultra-sweet approach, provided the singer with more than adequate accompaniment while Sinatra's regular pianist Bill Miller, was also on hand. 13 tracks. Acrobat. 2004.

Concert Collection [iMPORT]

Budget-priced 1996 release on Prism with 48 quality liveconcert recordings and radio transcriptions from his Capitol days. Housed in a double slimline jewel case, it features'Come Fly With Me', 'All The Way', 'On The Sunny Side Of TheStreet', 'Night And Day', 'Nancy', 'September Song' and'Embraceable You'.

The three titles which follow can be very difficult to find, but are offered by Amazon:

Unheard Frank Sinatra, Vol. 1: As Time Goes By

Unheard Frank Sinatra, Vol. 2: The House I Live In

Unheard Frank Sinatra, Vol. 4: I'll Be Seeing You

Where's volume 3? That one is especailly difficult to find.

I'm delighted to find a coven of Sinatra fans here,because I have a question for you. A couple of years ago I heard a recording of a Sinatra rehearsal of "East of the Sun" with a big band. It must have been fairly early in his career because he was really belting it out in a way he toned down later. After they finished the number, Sinatra called for a repeat I guess because he was so hyped up. Even though I have mostly liked Sinatra's stuff, this recording was just out and out memorably superb. Anybody any idea?? :wacko:

Guest Chaney

Well, fairly early in his career can go back a long ways -- Frank as a member The Hoboken Four performing Shine on the Major Bowes Amateur Hour, September 8, 1935 -- but I think you're referring to his LP, I Remember Tommy..., "arranged and conducted by Sy Oliver" (session tapes have Sinatra instructing Neil Hefti), recorded back in October, 1961.

(Sinatra did record East Of The Sun on April 23, 1940 while a member of Tommy Dorsey's band (I Remember Tommy, get it?) with Sy Oliver arranging and Bunny Berigan filling a trumpet interlude. Strange but true: While touring with Dorsey's band, Sinatra and Berigan were roommates! At least that's what Frank claims.)

There's a two CD set entitled Inside Tommy which has two hours of session material for these tracks: I'll Be Seeing You, I'm Getting Sentimental Over You, Imagination, Take Me, Without A Song, Polka Dots And Moonbeams, Daybreak, In The Blue Of Evening, (Promo plus intro intercut), There Are Such Things, The One I Love, It Started All Over Again and East Of The Sun (And West Of The Moon).

If you're interested, send me a p_pm.gif.

Can't say that I Remember Tommy... is one of my favorite Sinatra albums but listening to Sinatra in the studio is always -- for me a least -- fun.

PS: vajerzy: Thanks again for Songs by Sinatra, from which I cadged most of the information above. :w

Edited by Chaney

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Chaney

LAS VEGAS CENTENNIAL

EMI MUSIC MARKETING IS NAMED EXCLUSIVE OFFICIAL MUSIC PARTNER

FOR 2005 LAS VEGAS CENTENNIAL CELEBRATION

EMI Music Marketing To Launch New Official Commemorative Record Label,

LAS VEGAS CENTENNIAL RECORDS

Las Vegas Centennial Records / EMI To Present Classic Las Vegas Concert CDs, Including The CD Debuts Of Signature Vegas Performances From Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, And Other Top Music Luminaries

Hollywood, CA – – EMI Music Marketing (EMM) is proud to announce its exclusive partnership with the City of Las Vegas as the official music company for 2005’s Las Vegas Centennial Celebration. To launch the partnership, EMM has created a new record label imprint, Las Vegas Centennial Records, the official Las Vegas 100th Anniversary label. Beginning April 26, 2005, Las Vegas Centennial Records will present a new series of CDs culling top performances from the city’s fabled nightspots, including the CD debut of classic concert albums from Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Louis Prima and Keely Smith, plus multiple artist collections boasting previously unreleased Vegas performances by many of music’s top luminaries.

Las Vegas Centennial Records will launch on April 26 with the release of eight official Vegas Centennial titles, including the CD debut of two classic concerts: Frank Sinatra: Live From Las Vegas and Dean Martin: Live From Las Vegas. Both performances have never been released.

Other April 26 releases include High Rollers!, a new all-star collection of classic Vegas showstoppers by the artists who made them famous, including previously unavailable tracks from Peggy Lee, Nelson Riddle and Sammy Davis, Jr.; Live From Las Vegas (Las Vegas Centennial Celebration), with previously unreleased tracks from Keely Smith, Judy Garland, and Louis Prima; Wayne Newton: Mr. Las Vegas!, including two performances never before released on CD; and Bobby Darin: Live At The Flamingo.

Plans for additional Las Vegas Centennial Records releases will soon be announced.

As the exclusive music partner for the Las Vegas Centennial, EMI Music Marketing will actively promote Las Vegas Centennial Records titles in conjunction with several high-profile Centennial Celebration events scheduled to take place throughout 2005. om Las Vegas Centennial Records.

"EMI Music Marketing is proud to join Las Vegas in celebrating the city’s 100th year," said Phil Quartararo, President of EMI Music Marketing and Executive Vice President of EMI Music, North America. "We share a rich legacy of music, and with Las Vegas Centennial Records, we look forward to presenting the best Vegas performances from many of the artists who have become synonymous with the city’s exciting nightlife."

Said Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman, "No great party is complete without the right music, and EMI, home to so many of the timeless artists and performances that have helped to shape and define our city’s culture, is a perfect match for the Las Vegas Centennial Celebration. The City of Las Vegas is proud to partner with EMI Music Marketing and Las Vegas Centennial Records as we celebrate 100 years of Vegas magic."

END

Tentative track list for Frank Sinatra: Live From Las Vegas:

1. I've Got The World On A String

2. What Now My Love

3. I Get A Kick Out Of You

4. My Heart Stood Still

5. Luck Be A Lady

6. I've Got A Crush On You

7. Mack The Knife

-monologue- :rfr

8. The Girls I've Never Kissed

9. For Once In My Life

10. Someone To Watch Over Me

11. Maybe This Time

12. I've Got You Under My Skin

13. One To A Customer

14. I Have Dreamed

15. My Way

16. New York, New York

Rumored performance date: December 27, 1986

The Sinatra disk is up for pre-ordering at CD Universe.

Guest Chaney

Also out there is... g26504zmoj4.jpg

Seems to be available from AllDirect, CD Universe, Amazon...

I haven't heard this one but, as Frank was quite the funny guy ( ;) ), I fear that he'll do his imitation of a Japanese person speaking English. (I have Frank, in Japan, later is his career and he, AMAZINGLY, does it! Come fry with me... OY!)

Edited by Chaney

I haven't heard this one but, as Frank was quite the funny guy ( ;) ), I fear that he'll do his imitation of a Japanese person speaking English. (I have Frank, in Japan, later is his career and he, AMAZINGLY, does it! Come fry with me... OY!)

...which is why I hesitate, and usually do not buy any of his live material. How could such a terrific singer who could interpret the great song lyrics of our time with such intelligence, be so boorish on stage? An enigma.

Guest Chaney

There's actually / incredibly a boot which consists of Frank's monologues from his live dates... and nothing else!

That's one I've never been tempted to buy.

Any thoughts regarding "Francis Albert Sinatra and Antonio Carlos Jobim" from 1967? My only other Sinatra album is "September Of My Years", which I like.

Other than the fact that it's a little on the short side, it is a very good date. The material in conjunction with the duets with Jobim compelled Sinatra to sing softly which I suspect could have been more taxing than singing at normal volume. Interesting in that respect to contrast his version here of Porter's "I Concentrate on You" with the earlier Capitol take.

That Sinatra/Jobim side (the first of two collaborations, actually) would be one of my desert-island Sinatra albums. Great arrangements by Claus Oggermann, and some of Sinatra's most muanced singing ever, which just goes to show what a waste the mid/late 60s were for him overall - he still had the gifts, he just didn't put them to use very often, for whatever reason.

But that thing that he does going into the bridge of "Baubles, Bangles, and Beads" - goosebumps every time for me. EVERY time!

• 1 month later...