AOTW - Sept 19-27

Steve Reynolds

on ayler records

bop on speed maybe - very alive playing by the quartet - Ornette like instrumentation - trumpet, sax, bass, drums -

recorded 5/27/2002

was only familiar with the drummer - same dude from the great AALY Trio - Kjell Nordeson - and he drives this band like a locomotive - make that a bullet train - both horn players are fine - but still finding their voice - but they are hardly stuck in the rut that many of today's american mainstream trumpeters find themselves in - these guys have heard Lee Morgan *and* Mongezi Feza

plus although it is mostly theme-solos-theme - there is quite a bit of change-ups and the interplay of the horns is a pleasure - as an exmaple - during the bass solo during the great second track Quoting Frippe (what's the name of the bass player?) - the horn players comment with written and improvised sections during thr bass solo - so I guess it ain't even a solo - what it is is a surprise - isn't that what jazz is supposed to be? this one lives and breaths will be enjoyed by anyone who either still loves jazz - or by anyone who might be afraid of total abandonment

4 stars

fine sound as you would expect from Jan Strom's crew

Edited by Steve Reynolds

This is a nice album indeed - nothing particularly groundbreaking, but there is real fire, passion and sense of adventure in this music. Honest stuff. I also agree that the drummer is the most interesting voice here, driving the whole band. If I remeber cirrectly, Exploding Custiemr recorded a new set for Ayler - would be really curious to se how thy progressed.

not intended to offend - David asked me to give it a shot - I almost picked The Ganelin Trio - so you guys can relax :D

I presume the trumpter has heard Feza - my experience is that musicians who are playing music like this would have naturally had an interest in bands like the Brotherhood of Breath and other great composing/inprovising ensembles of the past 20-30 tears - and Feza's playing comes right to the fore when listeneing to MacGregor's big band

plus the trumpeter leans more towards his manner than, let's say, Don Cherry

maybe it's my ears telling me this, who knows??

We had a brief discussion on this album over in the Funny Rat thread, in the Recommendations forum. Those of you interested in free / avant-garde / eai / anything else non-bop should stop in and say hello!

That being said I really enjoy this album! Nothing too "out," so I would recommend this disc to a lot of people who aren't fans of free jazz. Lots of energy, great playing, some nice tunes.

Edited by John B

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

At last! :P

The long awaited follow up recording will be released in December, 2005!

If you enjoy the first; “Live at Glenn Miller Café” - you will love this one!

Special offer for Organissimo registered members:

Pre order the CD now to a price of US$ 10/Euro 9 including postage!

And you will have the CD for Christmas.

Just tell us at ayler.com@ayler.com:

- your user name

- complete name and address

- send $ envelope to: Ayler Records

Box 20, SE-61040, Gusum, Sweden

- or use PayPal to: ayler.com@ayler.com

Greetings,

Martin Kutchen's material outside of Exploding Customer is quite "out" so to speak. Though perhaps Reynolds is familer with his solo/other collaborations? If anyone other members are, I encourage suggestions!

Regards,

Alexander

At last! :P

The long awaited follow up recording will be released in December, 2005!

If you enjoy the first; “Live at Glenn Miller Café” - you will love this one!

Special offer for Organissimo registered members:

Pre order the CD now to a price of US$ 10/Euro 9 including postage!

And you will have the CD for Christmas.

Just tell us at ayler.com@ayler.com:

- your user name

- complete name and address

- send $ envelope to: Ayler Records

Box 20, SE-61040, Gusum, Sweden

- or use PayPal to: ayler.com@ayler.com

Jan, a very hearty welcome to this Board!

One suggestion: this should be posted on the Funny Rat thread. That's where many of the people interested in this type of music gather.

Hope the new release is as good as the first one :tup

Guy

• 3 weeks later...

Hope the new release is as good as the first one :tup

Guy

The new album is fantastic. The tunes are all shorter than on Glen Miller Cafe but the band sounds fantastic.

Again, nothing too "out" here. The band grooves fiercely and reminds me of Masada in the way it is adventurous without sacrificing melody and real tunes.

If you enjoyed the first disc you will, as Jan said, love the new one.

• 1 year later...

Up for some air.

Exploding Customer have a new studio album out on Ayler called At Your Service. I've listened to it three times since receiving it and highly recommend it. The Masada comparison I mentioned above is very strong at times. I can't imagine this, and the new Fred Anderson / Harrison Bankhead disc also just released by Ayler, won't make it onto my "best of 2007" list.